IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Cocothrinax dussiana seed

DoomsDave

Pictured below is a nice couple of batches of C. dussiana aka barbadensis seeds from one of my plants and a friend’s plant.

420FBA15-A933-4C14-A16E-97F1DFAE7925.thuD1DB6604-8986-4566-A202-3B3C58ED8A94.thu

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

FREE. For the asking; shoot me a private message (not a status report/update) with  “cocothrinax seed” in the greeting and your mailing address and I’ll mail you some.

These don’t get too big and will take dry air well but also be nice in a subtropical garden.

The parent plant is about 8 feet (2.5 m) tall after 11 years in the ground.

F01F6563-AF81-4DA4-9838-419B00F5F8E2.thu

Here’s a smaller one nearby.

BEAD059F-3CA2-48C2-A6ED-5E0F4EB6A6B5.thu

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These seeds have been cleaned! @Josh-O tutored me a bit in the fine art of seed cleaning. The fresh fruits are like mini-grapes, full of this purple juice. Since I have so many, and I didn't want them to get moldy, I cleaned them. (Mother Nature doesn't, but this is for keeping, not planting.)

I got a few requests, there's plenty of seed, so don't be shy. ASK and ye shall receive from the Seed Genie.

• Upvote 1

Keep them coming!

There's plenty of seed.

I am sorely tempted, but I have no confidence they would arrive unfrozen....

(I still don't have a decent fan palm in all my collection!)

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

4 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

They don't seem to have that problem. They ride in nice cozy mail trucks, etc.

I've gotten seed all year round, no problems.

Up to you, of course.

Send your PMs lots of seeds.

Be a recipient of free palmy love.

On 1/24/2018, 11:25:36, Funkthulhu said:

I live in NYS and have had no problems with seed freezing..received seeds around the artic snap a couple weeks ago, everything was fine, including some washingtonias filifers that were sent at that time, and they are currently germinating, along with chameadorias I received from Dooms Dave.

I think they would be fine for you, just a thought.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the responses, but there's plenty more seed.

Keep the requests coming. I'm really curious to see how they'll do as houseplants in a northern climate. Maybe grow them in Finland, and feed a few leaves to reindeer . . . . :)

• Upvote 1

Sorry for some reason I can't delete the quote. I'm rather curious how they my do here in NYS as well. Most plants I put outside protected during spring and summer. It's when they come back in that I have to rearrange my house and try and figure where everything may go. I seem to have pretty good luck with germinating and growing some pretty easy interesting plants. Must be the atmosphere I maintain in my house. The kids call home, jumanji.lol.

If I lived where I could collect seed and plant them into my yard I would definitely have my own jungle. I'm willing to try any palm seed. There are things I watch for, and if they come up I will be sure to get on the list. 

Wish I had found and joined this site a year ago. I enjoy reading what others are growing be how. Experience is the best teacher.  A wise man doesn't learn from his experiences, he learns from the experiences of others before him.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mostapha said:

Sorry for some reason I can't delete the quote. I'm rather curious how they my do here in NYS as well. Most plants I put outside protected during spring and summer. It's when they come back in that I have to rearrange my house and try and figure where everything may go. I seem to have pretty good luck with germinating and growing some pretty easy interesting plants. Must be the atmosphere I maintain in my house. The kids call home, jumanji.lol.

If I lived where I could collect seed and plant them into my yard I would definitely have my own jungle. I'm willing to try any palm seed. There are things I watch for, and if they come up I will be sure to get on the list. 

Wish I had found and joined this site a year ago. I enjoy reading what others are growing be how. Experience is the best teacher.  A wise man doesn't learn from his experiences, he learns from the experiences of others before him.

Not trying to hijack Dave's thread but Coccothrinax are one of my favorite genera. Coccothrinax barbadensis, formerly dussiana, loves sun, heat and high light levels and is hardy down to around freezing. It should thrive during late spring, summer and early fall in the sunniest part of the yard where it can enjoy rain and humidity. The problem for it and almost all palm species except Chamaedoreas is that northern homes are too cold, too dark and too dry in winter. When you bring palms indoors you need to be sure it receives extra warmth, light & humidity during your short, dark winter days. You also have to be vigilant for spider mite infestations.

I hope you've started doing additional research about the palm seeds you've been receiving and how to germinate and care for varied species. If you don't want to invest in a book, you should check out Palmpedia or the Search feature on this forum.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you. I have pretty much exhausted the information in the palm species that I have been growing,both on the internet, books and reading the info from the people here. I find that writing and reading here has been very informative, and for that I thank everyone.

I reside in a very large Victorian house with 96" windows, so there is plenty of light inside, including suppliment lighting. I run humidifiers, and am very diligent watching for any pests( mites,scale...). 

Thank you for your input and it is much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

There's plenty of seed, plenty for more requests than I have.

I'm psycho, make a request (for palm seeds) and it will be granted.

Some Palm Talkers have expressed concern about mailing seed in cold weather. This is, after all, the dead of winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

That would seem to be more of a problem than it actually is.

First, the envelopes contain a bubble of air that will stay warm, particularly when packed in a mail truck, or the hold of a plane.

Also, some seeds can take a lot of cold, anyway. Some seeds of palms got to Hawai'i on the feet of birds blown to 20,000 feet where it's cold.

If the recipient is in an office building, apartment complex, or has a private mailbox service, likely as not the space is heated for the comfort of the people sharing that space.

When I was a dorky kid in Ohio, I got lots of seeds from Park Seed Co. in those totally cool envelopes in the middle of winter, in the mailbox on the front of what's now my brother's house. This included impatiens, which need the heat, and can't take the cold. Grew like gangbusters! The box had a chilly, but effective heat bubble, even when it hit -20 FF below expletive, etc.

So, if you're in New York, etc., ask away. If you've got one of those RR mailboxes out in front of the house, I suspect you'll keep watch and all will be well.

I think the seeds will be fine.

• Upvote 2

NYS here and have had no problem with seeds coming during the coldest of weeks we have had in years. 90+% of most seeds I have received. I think I was the first to put in a request for these seeds. Pretty confident about them. Thanks.

On 1/26/2018, 8:08:01, PalmatierMeg said:

Not trying to hijack Dave's thread but Coccothrinax are one of my favorite genera. Coccothrinax barbadensis, formerly dussiana, loves sun, heat and high light levels and is hardy down to around freezing. It should thrive during late spring, summer and early fall in the sunniest part of the yard where it can enjoy rain and humidity. The problem for it and almost all palm species except Chamaedoreas is that northern homes are too cold, too dark and too dry in winter. When you bring palms indoors you need to be sure it receives extra warmth, light & humidity during your short, dark winter days. You also have to be vigilant for spider mite infestations.

I hope you've started doing additional research about the palm seeds you've been receiving and how to germinate and care for varied species. If you don't want to invest in a book, you should check out Palmpedia or the Search feature on this forum.

I certainly concur about spider mites, etc. and the cold dark days.

But Coco-t's will take surprisingly low light, at least for a while. Not ideal, but survivable. And they're fat and green in the shade, even if not so gloriously silver or golden.

4 hours ago, ZenMan 1 said:

I'm back! Good Day Dave, Looking at the latest post of free Cocothrinax dussiana seeds going on a journey to Faraway. 

Thanks Again O'Seed Genie

Pm Info.rtf

shoot me your address

Seeds mailed this morning 

These seeds HAVE BEEN CLEANED, if you get any floaters, plant them anyway, since they're probably not cleaned as well as hoped.

Plant in pots of potting soil 4 - 6" (10 - 15 cm) deep, cover with half an inch (1 cm) soil, keep warm (not hot) moist (not sodden wet) and wait. Pretty much the same way you did (if you did) with the Chamadorea radicalis.

Not sure how long they take; most of the other Cocothrinax I've done take a number of months, so be patient.

If you're anywhere away from the serious subtropics, these will be indoor plants, at least in the winter.

Happy Palm Growing!

B673928E-9D44-4A24-AAA9-BD432CEB131E.thu

• Upvote 2

Good Day Dave,  Just saw your reply and I guess you didn't see the word docx. So I'm sending a Jpeg.

Sorry about that! 

Address..jpg

Super! :) 

22 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Seeds mailed this morning 

These seeds HAVE BEEN CLEANED, if you get any floaters, plant them anyway, since they're probably not cleaned as well as hoped.

Plant in pots of potting soil 4 - 6" (10 - 15 cm) deep, cover with half an inch (1 cm) soil, keep warm (not hot) moist (not sodden wet) and wait. Pretty much the same way you did (if you did) with the Chamadorea radicalis.

Not sure how long they take; most of the other Cocothrinax I've done take a number of months, so be patient.

If you're anywhere away from the serious subtropics, these will be indoor plants, at least in the winter.

Happy Palm Growing!

B673928E-9D44-4A24-AAA9-BD432CEB131E.thu

Super! :)

• Upvote 1

Good Day Dave, Little pearls of palm seeds arrived, temperature in the 20's. Took them for a swim in the little jar of warm water and set on a warm seed mat. Very happy group and I am also. Many thanks again they made it ahead of the mixed, messy storm coming in Wednesday. Gopher Phil was right, more on the way. Stay warm!  ZenMan 1

• Upvote 1

Hi, seeds arrived today in NYS. Nice day for it, tomorrow we get 12+ inches of snow..thanks Dave, will keep you posted on how they do.

• Upvote 1

I do not think that cold is any problem. I am often ordered seeds in the middle of the cold of winter and the seeds have sprouted without any problems. See the link. There are over 800,000 seeds preserved in the ice.

www.regjeringen.no/en/topics/food-fisheries-and-agriculture/svalbard-global-seed-vault/id462220/

• Upvote 1

:yay:Yes :yay:    

The cocco seeds arrived     

Good quality, al these seeds sinking,no floaters;

So now whe take some time :interesting:

Thanks a lot :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

One nice thing about cleaning the seeds; few or no floaters!

I'm curious to see how they grow!

• Upvote 1