IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

awesome new cultivars of Dracaena fragrans and Dracaena marginata

Eric in Orlando

Last week was the Tropical Plant International Expo (TPIE) in Ft. Lauderdale. Here are 2 really cool Dracaena cultivars new to the Florida trade that really stood out.

Dracaena marginata 'Ray of Sunshine'- this is the first D. marginata I have seen with yellow banding, its really striking. This won the "Most Unusual Plant Specimen" award at TPIE.

DSC_1412.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The 2nd one is Dracaena fragrans 'Highlighter'. This is a very large form of D. fragrans, the leaves are twice as big as the common D. fragrans 'Massangeana'. There is another large form called 'Giganta' that has the same markings as 'Massangeana' but with larger leaves that are upright. I didn't get a photo of it.

This is Dracaena fragrans 'Highlighter';

DSC_1415.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

The 2nd one is Dracaena fragrans 'Highlighter'. This is a very large form of D. fragrans, the leaves are twice as big as the common D. fragrans 'Massangeana'. There is another large form called 'Giganta' that has the same markings as 'Massangeana' but with larger leaves that are upright. I didn't get a photo of it.

DSC_1415.JPG

Both are very pretty, I'll be looking out for this one.... last year I got 'limelight' which is solid lime green. 

Dracaena marginata 'Ray of Sunshine' looks a lot like cordyline 'Torbay dazzler', which is for cooler climates. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Both are very pretty, I'll be looking out for this one.... last year I got 'limelight' which is solid lime green. 

Dracaena marginata 'Ray of Sunshine' looks a lot like cordyline 'Torbay dazzler', which is for cooler climates. 

Dracaena deremensis 'Limelight' is great, that bright lime green color really stands out. We have Dracaena deremensis 'Limelight' in the Evening Garden, it glows in the dark shade.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018, 8:35:26, Eric in Orlando said:

DSC_1415.JPG

Eric here is a picture I took of Cordyline deremensis gigantic. It was the only one at the nursery so I hope it still there come spring. Very nice upright leaves and big plant.  Any idea how tall this one gets? 

DSC_0016.JPG

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

They get taller like most D. fragrans.

Thanks! I'm going to get it next month. To awesome looking to pass up. It will look great in my new part shade garden during the summer. Here a photo of the tallest one I could find on the internet. 

Dracaena-Giganta-14-in.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Hope these are available in Hawaii at some point!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 2 months later...

Here is Dracaena deremensis 'giganta' in my garden or at least until the end of summer.  :D This is in my tropical inspired patio area. So it gets seen by a lot of people. So far the response has been overwhelming, WOW!! 

DSC_0043.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Maybe 'Bicolor'

Thanks  Eric ,  'Bicolor' was my first tought too , but most of the ''Bicolor'' i see for sale in nurseries have some pink margins on the leaves  like ''Tricolor'' .      Logically , it should be called ''Bicolor'' cause leaves are green and white with no pink margin ....  i,m tempted to call it '' variegata enigma '' lol  

dracaena-marginata-bicolor-madagascar-dragon-tree-small-1001484207-1538450664.jpg

dracaena-marginata-bicolor-madagascar-dragon-tree-1001484205-1538449985.jpg

Are any of the Dracaena deremensis types suitable for a "cold NW Orlando" outdoors planting?  I've seen most of them tagged only for zone 10+, and I'm borderline 9a/b just outside the urban heat jungle of Orlando.  I have variegated yellow-green ginger and also tricolor ginger, but I'm looking for something else interesting in the part-shade areas.

• 1 month later...

My dracaena giganta has some red on the leaves. I am guessing this is sunburn? Since these leaves receive the most sun on them. 

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

• Like 1