IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fallbrook, California Garden 2009 - 2017

Hilo Jason

In 2009 my wife and I bought a home in Fallbrook, CA that needed quite a bit of work.  Both on the home and the yard.  I had just recently gotten into palms and I loved the opportunity to start with a clean slate.  PalmTalk was a very important resource (and still is) for me and so much of what I learned here over the years was put into my Fallbrook garden.  

Fast forward 9 years and we have moved to Hilo, Hawaii!  I will post a new thread soon about the creation of my new Hilo Garden, but in the meantime I wanted to create a final post here on PalmTalk for our California Garden.  

We still own the home in Fallbrook, and we were happy to get great tenants to live in it.  I decided to sell and relocate a lot of my favorite palms so that I would not worry about them.  I wanted to see them live on in friends' gardens.  I hope that my Fallbrook garden will continue to thrive while we are away, but I also know the reality that no one will ever care for it quite like I did! 

I was happy to host a PSSC meeting at our garden in March 2016.  I met so many great people in the So Cal Palm Society and I am happy that we had so many people come to our garden for the meeting, and individually over the years.  

So here it is.  The final thread for my Fallbrook Garden.  

2009 - 2017

• Upvote 2

I've posted photos over the years that have shown the progress of the garden so I won't do a lot of that in this thread.  But I will post a few photos of the state it was in when we first bought it in 2009:  

IMG_4945.thumb.JPG.05ce1067243632b6225ee

IMG_4939.thumb.JPG.18de011b07254a06a3b2f

Lots of cleanup needed to happen, cutting, mulching, hauling!  

IMG_5096.thumb.JPG.7fffcda99ab6ed784c8a4

Front yard, from the house looking out: 

IMG_6344.thumb.JPG.09a07caf00aea4199b769

Back yard, along the back of the house: 

IMG_5241.thumb.JPG.7960d31b1b96ba494a81c

• Upvote 2

Not in any sort of order, but here are some more photos of the yard as it was when we moved out of the house in Sept, 2017.  I will try to ID most of the palms in these pictures, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

Pseudophoenix Sargentii:

IMG_9172.thumb.JPG.1b1fe9166b6b30184df1a

Rocky, the best dog someone could ever ask for.  You'll see more of him in the new Hilo garden thread. Sabal SP on the right, Teddy Bear x Triangle in the middle, Dypsis Leptocheillos to the left of that (white trunk), Kentiopsis Pyriformis on the far left.  Lots of other stuff in there too! 

IMG_9206.thumb.JPG.c1c513d24d6cc2bc2cef1

• Upvote 7

The backyard area was not large, but still had several pathways that wandered through palmy jungle!  

Dypsis Lanceolata is in the middle, lots of Archontophoenix in this planter providing lots of canopy. 

IMG_9806.thumb.JPG.f840bb5511e9045c7182d

Kentiopsis Oliviformis on the left, Archontophoenix Maxima (2) on the right

IMG_9812.thumb.JPG.6ddbd357343a29ee4cbc4

• Upvote 8

Several Chambeyronia Macrocarpa are also in this part of the yard: 

IMG_9814.thumb.JPG.0894c15018d03e0d04362

Dypsis Madagascariensis in the middle, Archonotophoenix Alexandrae on the left:

IMG_9821.thumb.JPG.d83f22d640fced5fa2ffc

• Upvote 3

Bought this as Dypsis Sp. Mayotte:

IMG_9822.thumb.JPG.9d847356617d19e327a1c

Pinanga Coronata on the left and a Ptychosperma on the right

IMG_9826.thumb.JPG.b5b853bc9ff7a28d29fc1

Dypsis Plumosa on the right, Kentiopsis Oliviformis and Dypsis Leptocheillos on the left

IMG_9828.thumb.JPG.69c06e92bfe60962bee4e

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Just a great garden Jason. Glad I was able to rescue some palms!

The Hilo garden is going to be nothing short of spectacular based on the plants and work you already accomplished.

I was bummed to have missed the PSSC meeting at your place! Thanks for posting photos (with labels!) for our enjoyment. It's really an amazing transformation!

How big was that P. sargentii when you planted it? It looks awesome and great sized for SoCal.

What a beautiful garden! All plants are looking so healthy - great work!

All the best for your new garden in Hilo!

best regards

Lars

Attalea Geranensis in the middle.  Hard to photograph (especially with the light behind it) as it's over 20 feet tall.  Archontophoenix Purpurea on the right and on the left, next to the heliconia you can see a little bit of trunk from a Foxy Lady hybrid. 

IMG_9830.thumb.JPG.1074a53cf9dab4f4a6df5

This is that same Archontophoenix Purpurea as the previous photo with a Dypsis Leptocheillos next to that.  Kentiopsis Oliviformis on the far right. 

IMG_9831.thumb.JPG.d34334c2690d9b6e7d488

• Upvote 5

The center palm is a Dypsis Leptocheillos x Decary - Teddy Bear x Triangle hybrid.  One of my favorites.  Left of that is a solitary Dypsis Lutescens.  The palm on the right is another Kentiopsis Oliviformis.  

IMG_9833.thumb.JPG.9c00f1c0d0c305fd3a474

Another Dypsis Leptocheillos with a small Bentickia Condapanna to the right.

IMG_9834.thumb.JPG.d35ccc672d8853b93305b

• Upvote 4

From left to right: Bentickia Condapanna, Chambeyronia Macrocarpa (Watermelon), Archontophoenix Purpuraea, Dypsis Baronii.  This Dypsis Baronii is the slowest palm in my yard.  Was planted as a 5 gallon plant about 7 years before this photo was taken.  It never really grew but never looked bad.  Probably wanted more sun. 

IMG_9835.thumb.JPG.c897be76170fe7edcceca

Clinostigma Savoryanum.  Another of my favorites in California but a palm I am choosing not to plant here in Hilo due to how fast they grow here and how heavy and crushing the fronds are when they fall.  

IMG_9837.thumb.JPG.eedb8dfba9070edbc1065

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Another Dypsis Leptocheillos.  I have 11 of these planted in this garden.  None of them were planted from anything larger than a 5 gallon plant.  These are relatively fast for So Cal and should be in all palm gardens.  Behind this dypsis is a Veitchia Spiralis, and then the Kentiopsis Oliviformis that was pictured previously.  To the right you can see a bit of the Teddy Bear x Triangle dypsis hybrid.  IMG_9838.thumb.JPG.1b70ca5c550d769ad50c1

A wider angle view of the same section of the yard.  Several palms were dug out of this section before this photo was taken which opened it up a bit.  I actually prefer the more open look that the garden had before I left, after lots of palms were dug by friends.  I'm trying to keep that in mind while planting and designing in my Hilo garden.  

IMG_9841.thumb.JPG.52b11768a2f2dbcefa64c

• Upvote 4

Another look at the Dypsis Leptocheillos x Decary hybrid.  Such a perfect palm for California.  Fast growing, tough, and colorful! 

IMG_9846.thumb.JPG.7880badab0b891c6fa11b

Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis.  7 years in the ground from a 2 or 3 gallon pot.  This was a full sun and warm spot in the garden.  

IMG_9840.thumb.JPG.2e490741c6eef394b8769

• Upvote 4

Sabal Sp and Plumeria and a peak of the Roystonea Regia crownshaft. 

IMG_9843.thumb.JPG.34cead4d5950f9ebbec78

Looking up at a Veitchia Spiralis.  I also had Veitchia Arecina but this one always looked great and didnt burn like Arecina did for me.  

IMG_9859.thumb.JPG.c994df1124b9ba3705a21

• Upvote 4

Another look into part of the backyard jungle.  Dypsis Plumosa on the far left.  Dypsis Lutescens in the middle.  Dypsis Sp Mayotte trunk to the right of Lutescens.  Trunks of Chambeyronia and Veitchia behind that and Kentiopsis Oliviformis on the far right. 

IMG_9861.thumb.JPG.f511af2e296722cf2054c

The tall palm in the middle is a Foxy Lady.   Probably the fastest palm I had growing in the yard.  This was a 3 gallon plant when it was planted about 7 years before this picture.  The big Attalea Geranensis is on the right.  You can't tell, but the leaves of the Attalea go up as tall as the Foxy Lady's leaves.  It's a monster palm!  

IMG_9863.thumb.JPG.d8b9d478af4f0a0e731ed

Driveway lined with some Pseudophoenix Sargentii and Beccariophoenix Madagascariensis.  My 1988 Ford Ranger is giving some scale.  I've had this truck since I was 16 and it's now here in Hawaii with me and working hard hauling lots of palms from Big Island nurseries! IMG_9853.thumb.JPG.35e69ed5f847c97824be5

• Upvote 4

As I mentioned previously, a lot of my favorite palms were moved to some great So Cal Gardens.  I am very excited to know they are in the hands of some great growers and I look forward to seeing them thrive in their new homes.  Here are just a few of the palms that are now in new homes: 

This was some sort of Dypsis White Triangle type palm.  Bundled up and on it's way to it's new home.  

IMG_9635.thumb.JPG.5ac095c30807436c3362b

A flowering Dypsis Heteromorhpa being dug and moved by the one and only Josh O! 

IMG_9782.thumb.JPG.b6472743a5b739a9efd43

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

My largerst Kentiopsis Pyriformis dug and wrapped.  This was a big plant that should start showing some trunk very soon.  

IMG_9671.thumb.JPG.1ff5c3e3adda902b912f7

This was my smaller Dypsis Leptocheillos x Decaryii hybrid.  This one had some excellent color and form to it.  This palm was probably about 15 feet tall.  

IMG_9672.thumb.JPG.7a8a2ea2af85f2e963718

• Upvote 3

And last but definitely not least, my very prized Dypsis Mananjarensis - Mealy Bug.  As many people know, this is a tough palm to find and grow in California.  Young plants never seem to get past the seedling stage and it's hard to get these to a 1 gallon size in California.  This plant was over 15 years old and was just starting to pick up speed.  It's now in my friend Nick's yard, also in Fallbrook.  We took our time and got a big root ball and it made the move without any set back.  

IMG_9776.thumb.JPG.defeb42ffd404671800f7

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

So that's it!  The end of an 8 year chapter of my life.  

As I mentioned before, I am so thankful to the Palm Talk community for such great inspiration, knowledge and encouragement over the years.  

I look forward to sharing my new Hilo garden with you.  

• Upvote 3

I will post a link here in this thread to my new Hilo Garden thread as soon as I am able to start it.  But in the meantime, here's a teaser picture of my Hilo garden: 

IMG_0326.thumb.JPG.bf5e0521afff0db393466

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, msporty said:

I was bummed to have missed the PSSC meeting at your place! Thanks for posting photos (with labels!) for our enjoyment. It's really an amazing transformation!

How big was that P. sargentii when you planted it? It looks awesome and great sized for SoCal.

Thanks for the compliment.  It was a labor of love over the years, that's for sure.  

The Pseudophoenix Sargentii was a small 5 gallon plant, seen on the far right of this picture which was taken in Feb  2010.  The palm in the middle in a 3 gallon pot is the Foxy Lady hybrid that is seen in this thread that was the fastest growing palm in my yard.  

palms.jpg.9a3add2bdf409618a0f31bd6c9e9d3

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Just a great garden Jason. Glad I was able to rescue some palms!

The Hilo garden is going to be nothing short of spectacular based on the plants and work you already accomplished.

Thanks Jim.  It was great being able to spend some time with you before I left.  Hope you can visit the Big Island some time soon!  

• Upvote 1

Awesome work Jason and thanks for sharing. 

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Jason your Fallbrook garden is amazing! Being the first person to reach out to me when I first got into palms I got to see that garden change over the years and it really helped with planning my own garden. Can't wait to see how your new garden turns out. I'm betting it's going to be epic even for Hawaii. 

8 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Jason your Fallbrook garden is amazing! Being the first person to reach out to me when I first got into palms I got to see that garden change over the years and it really helped with planning my own garden. Can't wait to see how your new garden turns out. I'm betting it's going to be epic even for Hawaii. 

Hey Chris, it was great being able to have you by the garden so many times and I will always appreciate the care you gave to the place when we lived in Uganda for a year and a half!  Hope you can make it over to the Big Island soon, you might not ever return to California though! 

3 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Hey Chris, it was great being able to have you by the garden so many times and I will always appreciate the care you gave to the place when we lived in Uganda for a year and a half!  Hope you can make it over to the Big Island soon, you might not ever return to California though! 

Hey Jason I plan on making a trip out one day! I want to move to the islands but my lady isn't on board with it so I'm staying here in Socal. As for caring for your old garden I always enjoyed it when I didn't have a garden of my own. I was nothing but a container rancher at the time haha.

Ah, one paradise, for another, even better.

Loved your Fallbrook garden, sure to love the Hilo garden even better.

aloha

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These kind of threads are my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures. I am sure it was sad to leave some palms behind (or re-home them to friends) but at least u will have something to look forward to when u come back to visit. I am sure your tenants as well as some people here on palmtalk were stoked on all the palms. It was/ and still is a beautiful garden. Congrats on your new home in Hilo. I can’t wait to see your next thread with your garden and all the updates as you go along. 

I was so glad that you gave me an opportunity to give a few of your palms a home, but I'm sad I won't get to you and Virginia and your wonderful little girl at meetings here anymore.. :(. Its amazing home "right" your Fallbrook place looks with so many palms taken out of it!! Hope to see your new place someday!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!