Bill H2DB

My old Weather data & graphs - Central Florida

Bill H2DB

Before computers in my life , I kept these dailies . I've randomly picked this late '80  to early '81 today .

I was basically comparing Daytona Bch to S. central Fla , as I lived in D.B. , but had Pty in Hardee County .

I have a lot more , other years etc .  graph did not hold that 19 deg !!

The red area shows warmer , blue the cooler between the stations . data from DB NWS and the Ona station in Hardee via newspaper .

39763824382_c143555ace_b.jpglate 80-early 81 data by Bill H, on Flickr

39085732934_3c1e67d351_b.jpgGraph 80-81 copy by Bill H, on Flickr

• Upvote 4

Reeverse

Great records!!

Bill H2DB

Here's another set.

This is from Dec 26 -'79  to Feb. 10-1980 .   Compares Daytona to Sebring w / Wauchula added near 

end on graph .

28036396289_7942d08c65_b.jpg1226-79to210-80 by Bill H, on Flickr

39814910961_4ff8b67148_b.jpggraph 79-80 by Bill H, on Flickr

Chatta

My parents first moved to Odessa in 76, had a few great years on the grove then multiple freezes came wiped out the entire grove once, replanted, wiped it out again. The 80s were not a good decade for even subtropical plants here. My parents told me it hit 17F sometime in the 80s here. I'm guessing around the same time Daytona hit 19.

Walt

What weather reporting stations did you obtain your high-low temperatures from?

Since I moved to Highlands County in late 1997, I've been getting all my Sebring temperatures from the FAWN weather tower located at the Forestry Department on Rt 17, which is many miles southeast of Sebring.

I'm now getting my Lake Placid temperatures from the new STEM weather station at Lake Placid Elementary School (although I run noticeably colder most still air nights, just 2 miles away).

I know Archbold Biological Station, about 8 miles south of the town of Lake Placid has a weather station, but that is located in the coldest area of Highlands County, and actually shows up as zone 9a on the USDA hardiness map.

Bill H2DB

The Sebring temps were those published in the Sebring Newspaper.  I do remember talking to a local lady 

that ran a neighborhood store , back then , and she said that the temps in the paper were supplied by 'ol Gene ..

somebody ( I can't remember the last name ) , and that he lived down in some hole . I do remember that there was a time that they 

also did show Archbold temps .

The later info from Wauchula ( from the Wauchula paper ) , was taken at Ona .

The Daytona temps were NWS at the D B airport .

As always , any single site cannot represent anything more that that site itself .

I have other data in which I charted the DB NWS , and my home in Daytona low , as well as the others .

When I was at my Hardee place  , of course , I would note its data as well as possible , but did not have 

recording therms , as this was well before the digitalization of the world , and that would only be for a few days per month .

My intent was to really "see' the difference between the very inland , S. Central Fla , and the very coastal NE Fla Daytona area .

Big Diff . 

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      I recently went to this state park and wanted to share some of the sights here.  It was an enjoyable day trip, didn't cost much, and mixed just enough native, untouched Florida with some nice landscaping.  If you would like to visit yourself, you can get more information  here: https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/ravine-gardens-state-park
      The courtyard at the entrance:

Rock garden at the Civic Center:

Bismarckia and large podocarpus:

Pavilion:

Sagos near the Civic Center:

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      The weather differences here between today and yesterday are pretty staggering. 
      And even more so around this time last year!

Anyone living south of the Mason Dixon can probably relate to these events. But sadly, mass meltings like these always demonstrate how poor my native soil is. It’s a clay type soil which can remain  extremely soggy around 1-3 days after precipitation. You can even see runoff and puddling. The drainage is extremely poor and I would like some tips on improving it. I want to keep my palm’s soil atleast partly the native soil, but I was thinking about adding organic materials to the mix such as crumbled leaves, peat moss, and pearlite to increase drainage. Any experiences and/or tips will help! Thanks!

• Merlyn2220
      By Merlyn2220
      After reading through at least 15 different threads about the Arenga Micrantha, I am still a little uncertain on locating a pair of very tall Arenga Micrantha on my lot.  I posted a similar question on the end of a thread by @Eric in Orlando but it is necro-bumping an 8+ year old thread.  Here's links to a variety of informative threads on this palm:
      In Gainesville at UFL they planted a 4-5 foot in between some shrubberies, but it's not clear how much daily sun it sees.  It died after the 2018 January freezes, but it's not clear why: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/41798-mccarty-hall-palm-garden-at-the-university-of-florida-update-2008-2014-some-before-and-after-pics/&
      Leu Gardens has a couple in "high tree canopy with bright but filtered light."  I didn't see them when I visited in November, hopefully they are still ok!  https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/19917-arenga-micrantha-tibetan-sugar-palm/
      @richnorm has a flowering one in New Zealand, apparently in full sun and has been ok for leaf burn and low temps of -5C/23F.  I'm not sure about the humidity there, but the sun angle is about 10 degrees lower than the Orlando area so it's not as intense. https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/15074-arenga-micrantha/&tab=comments#comment-264964
      @Phoenikakias had a pretty big one in 2013, and it grew well in temps over 100F every day as long as it got a lot of water: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/35440-my-arenga-micrantha/&tab=comments#comment-557815
      @Sandy Loam had a large but very lazy one with some good discussion and photos here: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/45063-why-does-arenga-micrantha-insist-on-lying-down-horizontally-against-the-ground/&amp
      @Albey found a nice clump growing at a botanical garden in New Zealand: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55912-arenga-micrantha-at-43°-south/&tab=comments#comment-838192
      @steve 9atx had a nice one growing in Houston with 6 hours of unshaded mid-day sun, so it can take some strong sun along with high humidity:  https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4571-arenga-micrantha/&amp
      @Brahea Axel had some really nice ones back in 2013: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37978-which-is-nicer-a-engleri-or-a-micrantha/&amp

So after all the background above, I had this palm on my "to buy" list along with an Arenga Pinnata.  It's like a cold-tolerant and not deadly spiky version!  A local Palmtalker had two for sale and I picked them up on Sunday.  One is around 8' tall and the other is probably 12-14' tall.  Both are 3-4 leaf plants with very small suckers.  They were growing in moderate shade and I'm trying to figure out the best spot in my lot for them.  From the above threads I concluded that they grow best in Central FL (just NW of Orlando) in filtered light with PM shade and a consistent source of water.  I'd like to get these in the ground ASAP, and have 4 possible locations for them:
      SE corner in the summer gets filtered sun all day, but gets lots of sun in the winter, especially in the afternoon. SW corner in the summer has direct AM sun but is shaded by oaks by about 1pm.  It has winter AM filtered sun and PM direct sun. NE corner in the summer has filtered AM sun but quite a bit of direct mid-afternoon sun, and is filtered most of the winter. E side of the house, direct sun all year until just after noon, then shaded by the house. Is sounds like direct sun in the winter might not be a big problem, but direct afternoon sun in the summer could be a death sentence.  I have available drip irrigation in all spots, so a consistent water supply isn't a problem.  The soil is probably 50/50 sand and decomposed oak leaves.  Any thoughts on the above for locations to avoid?

• GeorgiaPalms
      By GeorgiaPalms
      I thought it may be cool to post photos of the garden as it appears this winter. Please posts pics of your own garden as well. I am in North Georgia, a cold zone 8a.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      How well do the Appalachian mountains block cold air? Are they simply not tall enough to block as much cold air as the Rockies on the West Coast (areas that share the same latitude as me on the West Coast and that are as far from the ocean as me are zone 9a/9b for the most part)? From this tempature map (I am currently just Southwest of Richmond) it seems like they do a good job. Although this is never something I really paid attention too (much).