IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My old Weather data & graphs - Central Florida

Bill H2DB

Before computers in my life , I kept these dailies . I've randomly picked this late '80  to early '81 today .

I was basically comparing Daytona Bch to S. central Fla , as I lived in D.B. , but had Pty in Hardee County .

I have a lot more , other years etc .  graph did not hold that 19 deg !!

The red area shows warmer , blue the cooler between the stations . data from DB NWS and the Ona station in Hardee via newspaper .

39763824382_c143555ace_b.jpglate 80-early 81 data by Bill H, on Flickr

39085732934_3c1e67d351_b.jpgGraph 80-81 copy by Bill H, on Flickr

• Upvote 4

My parents first moved to Odessa in 76, had a few great years on the grove then multiple freezes came wiped out the entire grove once, replanted, wiped it out again. The 80s were not a good decade for even subtropical plants here. My parents told me it hit 17F sometime in the 80s here. I'm guessing around the same time Daytona hit 19.

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

• 2 weeks later...

What weather reporting stations did you obtain your high-low temperatures from?

Since I moved to Highlands County in late 1997, I've been getting all my Sebring temperatures from the FAWN weather tower located at the Forestry Department on Rt 17, which is many miles southeast of Sebring.

I'm now getting my Lake Placid temperatures from the new STEM weather station at Lake Placid Elementary School (although I run noticeably colder most still air nights, just 2 miles away).

I know Archbold Biological Station, about 8 miles south of the town of Lake Placid has a weather station, but that is located in the coldest area of Highlands County, and actually shows up as zone 9a on the USDA hardiness map.

Mad about palms

The Sebring temps were those published in the Sebring Newspaper.  I do remember talking to a local lady 

that ran a neighborhood store , back then , and she said that the temps in the paper were supplied by 'ol Gene ..

somebody ( I can't remember the last name ) , and that he lived down in some hole . I do remember that there was a time that they 

also did show Archbold temps .

The later info from Wauchula ( from the Wauchula paper ) , was taken at Ona .

The Daytona temps were NWS at the D B airport .

As always , any single site cannot represent anything more that that site itself .

I have other data in which I charted the DB NWS , and my home in Daytona low , as well as the others .

When I was at my Hardee place  , of course , I would note its data as well as possible , but did not have 

recording therms , as this was well before the digitalization of the world , and that would only be for a few days per month .

My intent was to really "see' the difference between the very inland , S. Central Fla , and the very coastal NE Fla Daytona area .

Big Diff . 

• Upvote 1