sgvcns

Vietnam chilling 2017

jardinierpalmiertrat

Very good trip and Work. 2years ago i make a similar trip. Hanoï, Hoa bin , Nihn bin and cuoc  phuon national park. Very difficult , a lot of rain!!! And very cold!!! Maybe one day we CAN go toghether? If you re ;):greenthumb:ok

Darold Petty

Thanks very much for these photos and commentary !

sgvcns

I'll be back in Vietnam in early September with my wife in tow this time.

Will be concentrating on the central highlands from Dalat up to Phong Nha this time.

Should be an interesting trip as the area has many ethnic minorities/hill tribes. I expect pretty primitive facilities at times but who doesn't like a squat toilet.

I usually travel Vietnam in early September at the early stage of the wet season but flooding is always a risk.

Not cold though. PM me if you want to join next year perhaps. May try to get back to Borneo this year as well.

Cheers

Steve

Tyrone

Enjoyed this thread Steve.

I think the palm you thought was Livistona jenkinsiana is actually speciosa. I thought it was jenkinsiana as well when travelling up the red river valley ( the place is loaded with them up to about 800-1000m at a guess) but jenkinsiana is closer to India than Vietnam. Very closely related species though and I want to get hold of it for my garden at some point.

sgvcns

Tyrone

My understanding is they are now treated as synonyms 

Cheers

Steve

Tyrone

Could be, but I read recently that they were once treated as synonyms but have been separated once again. 

In the end it doesn't really matter I suppose in the bigger scheme of things. They certainly look the same to my untrained eye. 

sarasota alex

They are treated as the same species by Henderson and as separate species by Dowe. Both published in 2009. Dowe referenced Beccari noting inflorescence branching and fruit shape/color differences. Henderson on the other hands attributes fruit differences to variability of L. jenkinsiana. 

sgvcns

Yes I have heard it said that you split out your own finds and lump other botanists finds.

Maybe a grain of truth.

Reminds me I haven't put up last years central highlands trip.

Off again in 6 months

Steve

Tracy S

What an amazing trip! Thank you.