IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Vietnam chilling 2017

sgvcns

Very good trip and Work. 2years ago i make a similar trip. Hanoï, Hoa bin , Nihn bin and cuoc  phuon national park. Very difficult , a lot of rain!!! And very cold!!! Maybe one day we CAN go toghether? If you re ;):greenthumb:ok

I'll be back in Vietnam in early September with my wife in tow this time.

Will be concentrating on the central highlands from Dalat up to Phong Nha this time.

Should be an interesting trip as the area has many ethnic minorities/hill tribes. I expect pretty primitive facilities at times but who doesn't like a squat toilet.

I usually travel Vietnam in early September at the early stage of the wet season but flooding is always a risk.

Not cold though. PM me if you want to join next year perhaps. May try to get back to Borneo this year as well.

Cheers

Steve

• 11 months later...

Enjoyed this thread Steve.

I think the palm you thought was Livistona jenkinsiana is actually speciosa. I thought it was jenkinsiana as well when travelling up the red river valley ( the place is loaded with them up to about 800-1000m at a guess) but jenkinsiana is closer to India than Vietnam. Very closely related species though and I want to get hold of it for my garden at some point.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Could be, but I read recently that they were once treated as synonyms but have been separated once again. 

In the end it doesn't really matter I suppose in the bigger scheme of things. They certainly look the same to my untrained eye. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

They are treated as the same species by Henderson and as separate species by Dowe. Both published in 2009. Dowe referenced Beccari noting inflorescence branching and fruit shape/color differences. Henderson on the other hands attributes fruit differences to variability of L. jenkinsiana. 

Yes I have heard it said that you split out your own finds and lump other botanists finds.

Maybe a grain of truth.

Reminds me I haven't put up last years central highlands trip.

Off again in 6 months

Steve

Great trip! Thanks for sharing!

My wife, son and I went to Hanoi and points north ( HaLong bay) in 2013 and had a fantastic trip.!

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon