IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida 2018 Wundermap Wallop

Xerarch

Took these Wundermap screenshots this morning around 6:45, not sure if it was the bottom of the cold spell but here it is. 

I see some quite notable cold on here, even freezing temps throughout central Florida even on barrier islands. 142C4487-D6B6-4788-9432-BF3D377193F7.thuADDDEA16-9E76-4145-8FFF-2796506C36C1.thuA70FF77C-B65F-46EB-8E92-E8B55BCF9338.thu204F3E8F-799A-47A6-8415-43129002A339.thu

• Upvote 5

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Don’t want to leave out northern and southern ends

DA1692C1-5DC9-440E-BB40-BA60BF0899E1.thuEA819E2B-0829-4E56-92FB-638AB22B3079.thu

• Upvote 6

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

For FL that is serious cold. Thanks for the big picture.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, Xerarch said:

EA819E2B-0829-4E56-92FB-638AB22B3079.thu

What are the little spots that are around 10 degrees warmer than the surrounding areas? Especially between Lakeland and Kissimmee?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

3 minutes ago, Missi said:

What are the little spots that are around 10 degrees warmer than the surrounding areas? Especially between Lakeland and Kissimmee?

possible outliers, who knows

Brevard County, Fl

6 minutes ago, Missi said:

Measurement error would be my guess.

5 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Took these Wundermap screenshots this morning around 6:45, not sure if it was the bottom of the cold spell but here it is. 

I see some quite notable cold on here, even freezing temps throughout central Florida even on barrier islands. 

Great idea Xerarch. I grabbed a ton of screenshots I'll be posting later today. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 3

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

1 minute ago, Jimbean said:

possible outliers, who knows

Outliers?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

13 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

measurement errors

I agree, at least that’s the most likely, these are just people’s back yard weather stations and if you don’t take proper precautions it’s very easy to get your thermometer to read too high. Far more common would it be to read too high than too low. 

Nice map, looks like my place got to about 31 degrees.  It shouldn't be too bad since I don't stretch zones much any more and my garden is established. that said, I took a good hit in 2010 with a new garden..  Zone reality demands that many tropicals are considered temporary in my area.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Ocala, where I still have my old garden at my parents place, seems to still have held up to 25 minimum in town. If true that is quite a bit warmer than 2010 for us at least. We did have quite a bit of damage and landscape losses from hurricane related flooding this year though :unsure:

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

So far this winter has been nothing compared to what I had in December of 2010 -- when I had six nights of radiational cooling below 30 degrees, turning virtually all zone 10 palms to toast, even killing some. 31 degrees for me this morning with no frost due to wind. Tomorrow morning, although forecast to be a few degrees warmer, will probably be worse, as radiational cooling is expected. That means the dreaded frost on foliage.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

Nice maps, and very accurate according to the results I heard by word of mouth today.  Everyone I talked to from Lake Wales said they had 27F this morning, and I registered 28.2F as a minimum in Lakeland.  As far as a comparison to 2010, not even close for me.  It felt like that freeze lasted forever.  This year overall has been different though, since the cold waves started relatively early in the year and have seemed to return at regular intervals.  After being spoiled with a few relatively mild winters in a row, this one is certainly a gut check for some plants that had an easy go of it.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

21 hours ago, Walt said:

So far this winter has been nothing compared to what I had in December of 2010 -- when I had six nights of radiational cooling below 30 degrees, turning virtually all zone 10 palms to toast, even killing some. 31 degrees for me this morning with no frost due to wind. Tomorrow morning, although forecast to be a few degrees warmer, will probably be worse, as radiational cooling is expected. That means the dreaded frost on foliage.

Surprise! Surprise. My low was only 40 degrees. No frost. Seems from midnight on the temperature basically leveled off in the low 40s -- and they were calling for 34 degrees for a low. We are gaining in daylight each day (more solar radiation, both direct and duration) but I still have at least three more weeks before I will feel safe from a freeze or frost.

• Upvote 2

Mad about palms