IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

RIP Charles Wychgel

Phoenikakias

Last Friday has passed away Charles Wychgel, who participated also in this forum under his first name. He was a great palm collector and a great man, having one of the most extended palm collections in Europe. His garden is situated in southern Portugal. He made many seed donations both to individuals and to European Palm Society, helping it thus to raise needed funds to keep its web site alive. I only knew him a little, as I met him personally only once in the EPS 2012 meeting in Rome. So what I have just written is not based on friendship  but rather on known deeds and achievements, which is imo the biggest honor of one's memory. My deepest sympathies to his family, and let someone closer to him write a proper obituary here.

I am so sorry to hear this. I did not meet him, despite working pretty close to where he had his superb collection of palmtrees. I am so sad i could not manage it in time. Even without meeting him in person, i felt how generous man he was. Another good person we lost here. Rest in Peace Charles :(

I m so sad to know that

I had the oportunity to visit his garden in october 2016! Such a beautiful garden with palm and cycad collection! 

I m lucky to meet him even if it was a short time!!

Rip Charles!! We lost a great person ! 

Very sad news....Charles visited here a few years ago, and my impression of him was that of a very generous and kind soul...may he rest in peace.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I never met him either but I followed his posts on the EPS forum. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing and send condolences to his family.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

He was a generous man. He sent me twice seeds of his fabulous Brahea moorei when the first envelop didn't arrive (it arrived after months....)  Our messages were in dutch and some portuguese, languages that where closer to us.                                                                                                                           Hij was zeker een goed en gevoelig mens! Condoleances aan de familie en vrienden!

Edited by Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Charles used to buy seedlings from me when I lived in Spain. We never met, but our emails and forum chat made me consider him a friend. I was sad to hear through the EPS forum of his passing.

• Upvote 1

I did not know Charles but always enjoyed immensely his comments and expertise from his Algarve enclave. I recall he responded to my first post many moons ago in the Palm Talk Forum primarily to RJR regarding an old treatise on “Palms” authored by Desmond Muirhead. A true Icon and irreplaceable. Godspeed.

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, this is sad. I was slow to notice this mention of Charles' passing. I didn't meet him in person, but always appreciated his avid interest in palms.  I will always remember his wonderful avatar:  the back of his aloha shirt showing off some tall palms. 

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 2 months later...

I noticed from Charles' posts that there isn't an 'In Memoriam' badge in place for him. It would be nice. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, John in Andalucia said:

I noticed from Charles' posts that there isn't an 'In Memoriam' badge in place for him. It would be nice. 

Thanks - Done

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

• 11 months later...

Found this photo of Charles at Mt Tamborine back in 2011

DSC_8732.thumb.JPG.6b7c7a0861eb2694e1a25c7e1aca0f25.JPG

• Like 4

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 3 years later...

I never met Charles in person but he was so gracious in sharing palm advice and even seeds.  He supplied me seeds to some of his palms and it is great to know that they have been spread all over the States and all originated from this kind and gracious soul.  RIP Charles.  

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"