IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few Winter Garden Pics

Palm crazy

I think this might be the first time I have show the garden this time of year. Lots going on and just a sample. Enjoy! 

Different hardy Schefflera's.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

Last one... it been nice here lately! 

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0059.jpg

Is that a cordyline or a yucca on the right of the trachycarpus?

Eitherway very cool garden! Yall pacific northwest folks have a weird winter, I see bananajoe talking about sprouting buds and flowers in the dead of winter. If only it wasnt so rainy and gloomy up there

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Is that a cordyline or a yucca on the right of the trachycarpus?

Eitherway very cool garden! Yall pacific northwest folks have a weird winter, I see bananajoe talking about sprouting buds and flowers in the dead of winter. If only it wasnt so rainy and gloomy up there

Yes those are Cordlyines. I trim them up so I don't get hit in the face with foliage.  There are also native plants that bloom in winter.

Summers are very dry and sunny, makes up for the rainy Fall/Winter. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Ahh yeah I want to do corylines but they are like livistona chinensis here and they will die back and then sprout back in spring so no trunking. So I might as well do yuccas like aliofola or recurvifolia(sp) and gloriosa. They look similar and are bullet proof here. Some of my gloriosa looked slightly stress their first winter, but that was mainly due to the utisol rocky clay we have when they are native to sandy soils. But this winter they have stayed beautiful just like in summer so they've adapted. 

We have winter weeds here that grow and sometimes flower. But I wouldnt say Im a fan of them HAHA. I did pick a dandylion the other day does that count?

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

You can't go wrong with yucca's love them and so many types, shapes, color, texture, real winner.  

Yeah, the winter weeds here, are bad too.  Pretty much 12 months out of the year. lol. 

8 minutes ago, maesy said:

What kind of butia is the one in the first picture?

Hello Maesy,

That is a Mule palm....JxB F2. I've had it since it was a 2 year old seedling and has done pretty good for me so far. 

Edited by Palm crazy

2 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

You can't go wrong with yucca's love them and so many types, shapes, color, texture, real winner.  

Yeah, the winter weeds here, are bad too.  Pretty much 12 months out of the year. lol. 

Yeah Im a huge fan of yucca if they trunk. So many adams needles here that Im sick of non trunking forms. But yeah the weeds are year round here too, but thankfully for 2 months I only have to weed once every 2 weeks or so as opposed to a few times a week. If I cant get trunking palms going well here yuccas and non trunking palms are my backup plan then no more circus tents lol.

Either way though you have a beautiful garden..something to aspire to!

1 hour ago, maesy said:

Beautiful!

But that palm is gonna get big. Is there enough space?

It will get big but not mature in my climate (8a) , time will tell. ;)

12 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah Im a huge fan of yucca if they trunk. So many adams needles here that Im sick of non trunking forms. But yeah the weeds are year round here too, but thankfully for 2 months I only have to weed once every 2 weeks or so as opposed to a few times a week. If I cant get trunking palms going well here yuccas and non trunking palms are my backup plan then no more circus tents lol.

Either way though you have a beautiful garden..something to aspire to!

Thanks Man, really appreciate it. There are a few plant in my pictures you could grow I bet....Daphne, fatsia japonica, Sarcococca, Rhododendron, Azalea, Trochodendron aralioides, etc.... Any BLE can give the tropical look, even if there not really tropical. :D

Edited by Palm crazy

Yeah Im only really into palms and yuccas for what works here, the other growing Ill start doing one day will yield food and maybe some muscadine wine!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cikas said:

Schefflera's look awesome. I must add some of these in my garden. 

Thanks Cikas,

Super easy to grow just need good drainage and no wet mulch near trunk base and your good to go. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice little foliage grotto you got there! Cant wait/hope for something similar in a few years!

On 1/14/2018, 9:11:05, mdsonofthesouth said:

Ahh yeah I want to do corylines but they are like livistona chinensis here and they will die back and then sprout back in spring so no trunking. So I might as well do yuccas like aliofola or recurvifolia(sp) and gloriosa. They look similar and are bullet proof here. Some of my gloriosa looked slightly stress their first winter, but that was mainly due to the utisol rocky clay we have when they are native to sandy soils. But this winter they have stayed beautiful just like in summer so they've adapted. 

We have winter weeds here that grow and sometimes flower. But I wouldnt say Im a fan of them HAHA. I did pick a dandylion the other day does that count?

Dracaena indivisa (the green spikes sold at big box stores) are supposedly hardy to zone 7. Most people confuse them with Cordyline australis (the burgundy spikes) because they look very similar, but they’re two different (but related) species. The Dracaenas have thinner and longer leaves, and in my experience they grow noticeably faster than Cordylines.

I’ve seen the green spikes (Dracaena) survive the winter here in outdoor pots, whereas the burgundy spikes (Cordyline) don’t make it. I had a Dracaena in the ground before I moved, I’d say they aren't fan of winter moisture, mine had rot issues but that could’ve been because it was in a shaded area.

3 hours ago, cm05 said:

Dracaena indivisa (the green spikes sold at big box stores) are supposedly hardy to zone 7. Most people confuse them with Cordyline australis (the burgundy spikes) because they look very similar, but they’re two different (but related) species. The Dracaenas have thinner and longer leaves, and in my experience they grow noticeably faster than Cordylines.

I’ve seen the green spikes (Dracaena) survive the winter here in outdoor pots, whereas the burgundy spikes (Cordyline) don’t make it. I had a Dracaena in the ground before I moved, I’d say they aren't fan of winter moisture, mine had rot issues but that could’ve been because it was in a shaded area.

Not seeing a ton of information on these. I see anything from zone 5 to zone 7 to zone 9. If they persisted in winter and trunked I would definitely try them, but grasses are so common around here and I used to have a whole mess of grasses at the last house that I am not interested in more. Will surely look into them as I would seriously be interested if they trunked and looked like a imitation cordyline. 

Not to confuse you guys any more than you are... but there are no Cordyline indivisa or Dracaena indivisa in the US. There is only Cordyline australis (green) and hybrids of cordyline australis that come in different colors. The tags you see that say indivisa are all wrong in the US they are really Cordyline australis. C. australis is root hardy to at least z7, but only evergreen to 8b. 

Edited by Palm crazy

13 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Not to confuse you guys any more than you are... but there are no Cordyline indivisa or Dracaena indivisa in the US. There is only Cordyline australis (green) and hybrids of cordyline australis that come in different colors. The tags you see that say indivisa are all wrong in the US they are really Cordyline australis. C. australis is root hardy to at least z7, but only evergreen to 8b. 

I figured that was the case. I know cordyline is root hardy here and a wonderful perennial, but not what Im looking for in a plant. Wife already has enough of those on her side of the garden for the both of us. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I figured that was the case. I know cordyline is root hardy here and a wonderful perennial, but not what Im looking for in a plant. Wife already has enough of those on her side of the garden for the both of us. 

That was funny to read... LOL.  I am hoping to get some seeds from NZ of true C. indivisia come spring. They sell out so fast I hope I get some. 

5 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

That was funny to read... LOL.  I am hoping to get some seeds from NZ of true C. indivisia come spring. They sell out so fast I hope I get some. 

Apparently they had a good seed year so might get lucky! Would love to grow trunking cordylines but just not in the cards til I move. Excited to see your seed progress as its a very exciting and educational process I may start getting into now that I have officially germinated seeds! 

As for the wife comment she loves her bulletproof everyone has these plants so being the wonderful husband i am i just keep my mouth shut and plant and maintain them lol. 

15 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

Palm crazy, where do you get your schefflera?

killer garden btw

I got mine from the Rhododendron Species Foundation in WA, Windcliff nursery, Far Reaches Farm (one of the best for exotics), Cistus Nursery. I think all of these nurseries do mail order. Thanks for the nice garden complement. 

Edited by Palm crazy

21 hours ago, Opal92 said:

How's it going there? Looks like you're buckling up for some big cold!

Last night was first of the really cold spell we're going to have for the next few days & nights. Last nights low was 29.5F Have to wait and see what happens the next two nights hopefully nothing below 25F. I brought inside the greenhouse a few of the potted cordylines everything else should be ok. This might be the coldest nights of the year so far. All the plants that are leafing out and flowering should be fine since they're all hardy plants. Will let you know how cold it gets. The airport is much colder than it is in town. Can't wait for March warm up.  

Edited by Palm crazy