IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea radicalis

Palm crazy

Took some pics of my C. radicalis, not the best since it was only 52F, 95% humidity, cloudy and it was getting dark. 

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

More.... The one on the cement bench I just dug up and want to put inside the unheated greenhouse to give it extra growth and then put in a new area of the garden like the patio area. 

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

What temperature would you say these get really unhappy at?

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Low 20F I cover them up, mine have dense overhead cover above and other bushes in front of them to block cold winds... they gone through 15F with blanket on top. They always grow back if they do get damage. Amazing little palms. 

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

Mine are under a bank of snow...

The only time I have bad damage is from heavy wet snow that break the branches off. 2" or more can break them, they always recover.  You still have snow, wow, hope it melts soon. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Yeah, but it is supposed to be back up near 70F by Thurs.

NIce.... never gets that warm here in Winter....won't be long till spring is here, seeing lots of buds swelling and few flowers getting ready to open here. 

DSC_0012.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I kept mine in the ground for two winters in the Oklahoma City area, where I got a pretty good idea of when they get unhappy. Mine was planted in a bed on the North West side of my home, but it was in a corner with a brick wall behind it, the front porch on one side, and a sidewalk on the other. With that in mind it only seemed to get damaged after temps got down the 10F to 12F range, though it had overhead protection during snow.

It also has an interesting habit of looking kind of sad but not brown right away. Its fronds tended to brown slowly one by one as we approached spring...at which point it seemed to grow a new frond at about the same rate the old ones died. It never seemed to have more than 6 fronds or less than 3 at any time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here it was in June and July 2016. I dug it up when I moved, but I haven't decided yet if I will put it in the ground again or keep it in a pot.

IMG_20160709_111447.jpg

IMG_20160619_164718.jpg

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, Ben OK said:

Here it was in June and July 2016. I dug it up when I moved, but I haven't decided yet if I will put it in the ground again or keep it in a pot.

IMG_20160709_111447.jpg

IMG_20160619_164718.jpg

Ben looks really good .... I try to grow mine in groupings to make them seem fuller. 

• Like 1

Yeah I plan on these being understory up close to the warm concrete of my house. Will circus tent for events like this current one for sure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Last year I had several out completely unprotected versus two lows of 19, 36 hours below freezing, all started off by a round of freezing rain.   They had zero damage, while mature washy robustas in the area were completely defoliated.   Mine just saw a dry 18 degrees last week unprotected, with zero damage again.  Wish I could tell you where they start to see damage, but mine seem to not care what is thrown at them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Anything under 15 is where they start to burn to one degree or another.  Add wind and precipitation and your results may vary.  In every instance I have found Radicalis to be more cold hardy than microspadix as the later will have outright stem death at 15F.

• Upvote 5

I too like these palms, have a bigger single and a few grown from seeds received by DD. Maybe in two or three years I will try one in a very protected area close to the house.

Chamaedoreas are one of my favourites.

Eckhard

• Upvote 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

On 1/7/2018, 10:56:42, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Anything under 15 is where they start to burn to one degree or another.  Add wind and precipitation and your results may vary.  In every instance I have found Radicalis to be more cold hardy than microspadix as the later will have outright stem death at 15F.

This gives me hope for growing them here. Been almost a month since I put them in the planter hope they start sprouting soon. 

If you haven't, already ask for some free seeds! (If you already have, ask for some more.)

Plenty from California, the Land of Fires, Floods and Palmas Cucarachas.

CLICK HERE AND SEND A PM: ===> http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55388-mo-free-chamadorea-radicalis-seeds/

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just now, DoomsDave said:

If you haven't, already ask for some free seeds! (If you already have, ask for some more.)

Plenty from California, the Land of Fire and Flood.

CLICK HERE AND SEND A PM: ===> http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55388-mo-free-chamadorea-radicalis-seeds/

Almost been a month since I put the ones you gave me in soil, about 2.5 to 3 weeks since I put the heater underneath. Hoping for a 1 month sprout but planning on up to 6 months seeing as its my first time germinating palms. I keep them moist with spraying water twice a day ( the sun in the day helps dry up the soil a bit and also helps heat the pod. No temp monitor in there as its pretty wet, but the house is a steady 70F and the pad advertises 10-20F raise in temperature and the sun during the day helps too! 

On 1/6/2018, 11:09:49, Palm crazy said:

Took some pics of my C. radicalis, not the best since it was only 52F, 95% humidity, cloudy and it was getting dark. 

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

@palmcrazy super impressed with the plants you are able to grow in zone 8. Incredible. It looks so lush!

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

25 minutes ago, Tracy S said:

@palmcrazy super impressed with the plants you are able to grow in zone 8. Incredible. It looks so lush!

Thanks Tracy, a new friend of mine that just moved here from Mississippi 6 months ago said he can't believe how green it is here in the winter time.... Can't wait for him to see all the flowers in bloom come spring. 

Here in the PNW we can grow a lot of plants from around the world that other parts of the county can't. Going nursery shopping here is quite the experience with so much to choose from. I'm sure it the same for you. My goal when designing this garden was to have it be really green all year since it so grey and rainy in winter. And to have flowers throughout the year that also provide food for wildlife. Thanks for the comment. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/9/2018, 8:09:50, Palm crazy said:

Thanks Tracy, a new friend of mine that just moved here from Mississippi 6 months ago said he can't believe how green it is here in the winter time.... Can't wait for him to see all the flowers in bloom come spring. 

Here in the PNW we can grow a lot of plants from around the world that other parts of the county can't. Going nursery shopping here is quite the experience with so much to choose from. I'm sure it the same for you. My goal when designing this garden was to have it be really green all year since it so grey and rainy in winter. And to have flowers throughout the year that also provide food for wildlife. Thanks for the comment. 

Yeah, it's like another planet up there!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018, 23:27:25, Laaz said:

Yeah, but it is supposed to be back up near 70F by Thurs.

I don't understand the weather in the US.Here in the winter its in the 50's during the day and 40's during the night.Of course it can be a bit colder or a bit warmer,but those are our averages.Meanwhile u guys go from highs in the 70's to snow,what the heck!!!?!?

1 hour ago, CroToni said:

I don't understand the weather in the US.Here in the winter its in the 50's during the day and 40's during the night.Of course it can be a bit colder or a bit warmer,but those are our averages.Meanwhile u guys go from highs in the 70's to snow,what the heck!!!?!?

And that's the exact same reason why palms that are hardy in parts of the US cannot survive the same temperatures here. Because here, when it is cold it stays cold.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CroToni said:

Snow & this cold is a freak event here. In a normal winter we get a average of 7-10 nights where we drop below 32F and on those nights we rarely get below 25F.

Yeah life on and around the fall line is hell in winter. 60s and 70s on day and 20s and 30s the next. The good thing is 99 out of 100 snow events melt the next or same day.

6 hours ago, CroToni said:

Nursery was 8f wednesday morning, then back to 74 & 73 over the weekend.  Lows were in the 60s. Last January we went dropped from 74 to the 20s in four hours. 

4 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Nursery was 8f wednesday morning, then back to 74 & 73 over the weekend.  Lows were in the 60s. Last January we went dropped from 74 to the 20s in four hours. 

Incredible,our record low is 15 degrees fahrenheit,but if that happens we are fried,because we are not going to see temps above 40 for a loong looong time.

2 hours ago, Laaz said:

Snow & this cold is a freak event here. In a normal winter we get a average of 7-10 nights where we drop below 32F and on those nights we rarely get below 25F.

Where are you located,north fl it looks like?

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah life on and around the fall line is hell in winter. 60s and 70s on day and 20s and 30s the next. The good thing is 99 out of 100 snow events melt the next or same day.

snow here falls once every 8-12 years,but the temp is from 30-34 when it falls so it damages almost nothing.

5 hours ago, Flow said:

And that's the exact same reason why palms that are hardy in parts of the US cannot survive the same temperatures here. Because here, when it is cold it stays cold.

Yeah but also their record lows are much worse than ours.I am in north coastal Croatia 9a,but our record low is 15 degrees f,meanwhile their record lows in 9a zones in alabama,louisiana,florida,texas etc. are usually below 10 degrees.

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

2016/2017 winter we were in OC Maryland and it was 70s all weekend with lows in the 50s, we were swimming in the ocean (yeah it was actually warm enough) then it dropped to the 30s in no time flat. Felt like an hour or 2 is all it took. 

1 hour ago, CroToni said:

snow here falls once every 8-12 years,but the temp is from 30-34 when it falls so it damages almost nothing.

Those are our normal low temps, but we can receive arctic blasts courtesy of Canada that can dip us way bellow that. Rare to drop bellow 15-18F depending on where you're located, but as this winter has shown us it certainly can go much further bellow average. We saw a low of 3F this winter! I think the last time it was this cold was in the 80's, and of course now we have been in the 60s with lows in the 40s. But we are going to have 1-3 days in the 10 day forecast that may see lows in the mid 20s and highs in the low 40s. Its very normal for us to swing 20+ degrees in a day. 

We kind of have a similar cycle that yall have and that is for blizzards. Once every 6-10 years we get hammered with a blizzard and get 12-18in of snow dumped on us in one storm!

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

I'm on the West Coast of the USA, My winters are cooler and pretty much cooler all year compared to the South East USA.

Dec-Jan. for me...Highs are 40's-50's, Lows are 30's-40's.

85% of the weather here is marine, with 15% being continental. That 15% means in winter it gets colder, and hotter in summer. I do have high humidity all year.  55 inches of rain per year, mostly fall/winter and dry in summer. East coast mostly dry in winter and wet in summer. 

My low this winter was 25.5F in December and so far 29F in January. No big arctic blast from Canada for me this winter so far that is. Last year It got down to 21F, the year before 19F. I'm in one of the few 8a areas of my state of Washington, most are 8b. 

Edited by Palm crazy

On 1/21/2018, 11:43:21, CroToni said:

The central part of the North American continent is one of the most wide-open expanses of land with no mountains from north to south, anywhere in the world. The crazy temperature/weather swings can be both fun and really frustrating depending on the day...

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

6 hours ago, pin38 said:

The central part of the North American continent is one of the most wide-open expanses of land with no mountains from north to south, anywhere in the world. The crazy temperature/weather swings can be both fun and really frustrating depending on the day...

I can imagine some serious rotting happening on plants if the weather goes from freezing to warm in a day,but for us humans It's nice.Our winters never go above 60 degrees.I am jelaous.

6 hours ago, CroToni said:

I can imagine some serious rotting happening on plants if the weather goes from freezing to warm in a day,but for us humans It's nice.Our winters never go above 60 degrees.I am jelaous.

Well that not really true, at least not for southern Croatia.  Here in Dubrovnik it can go up to 20C sometime in winter. Even minimal temperatures can be around 15C during winter (during southern winds weather, or rain). 

Edited by Cikas
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CroToni said:

3 hours ago, Cikas said:

Well that not really true, at least not for southern Croatia.  Here in Dubrovnik it can go up to 20C sometime in winter. Even minimal temperatures can be around 15C during winter (during southern winds weather, or rain). 

Well I sure hope swings like this don't raise rot chances. We often swing 20F+ in a normal winter day, and like we have seen the past week swings even further! We have been in the 60s and even low 70s with nights from mid 30s to mid 50s. We go from days like that to days with lows in the 20s and highs in the 30s or 40s. Didnt seem to bother my chamaerops humilis last winter, but the swings also weren't as large. 

This being my second over wintering of palms I have seen lots of damaging effects from roasted fronds (Trachycarpus), complete defoliation (Livistona) to spear pull (Trachycarpus and Chamaerops). But Im 100% sure it had to do with the extreme lows mixed with what felt like record setting length of cold/bellow freezing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cikas said:

I am on the North Coast.Your climate is heaven.