IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

A good old random question, what type or brand of shoe do you wear? Right now I am wearing a pair of Brooks, they are pretty comfortable! 

PalmTreeDude

Brooks also. Great running shoes.  But I just got these new Sloggers that I'm pretty excited about. Should be good in the garden.

20171218_152355.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Depends.. most of the time, you'll find me in a good pair of sandles, but, for kicks.. when worn, I'm a loyal Adidas fan, as well as various skate shoe brands. Went through a Chuck 'n Reebok phase before highschool. Never got into the British Knights crowd that was " the" shoe brand back then.  

For the rarer,  more formal occasion,  when a dress shrit and/ or tie somehow transforms me into something attractive, something dressy but comfortable.. and not outrageously expensive. Then again, sometimes you still can't pull the sandles off my feet, lol.

Do you mean for working in the garden?

My San Diego garden shoes are an old pair of Vans, the kind with the padding around the upper edge for comfort. They must be around 12 years old now. San Diego gardening is not hard on shoes.

Conversely, Hawaii gardening is absolute murder on garden shoes. Hawaii is where my old hiking shoes go to die. I have gone through 2 pair of Lowa hiking shoes, and multiple trail runners from North Face, Merrill, and New Balance, all in less than 9 years of part-time gardening on the Big Island. Granted, they are very worn before arrival in Hawaii, but the heavy boots are most durable and last far longer than the old lightweight trail runners which are quickly demolished by the rough lava rock.

@Gonzer Rainbows are fine in Hawaii for most occasions, but lead to bloody feet in the garden. I've donated my share to Pele!  Even in San Diego, I've learned that accidentally dropping hand pruners can draw blood from tender exposed feet.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

100% Frye drivers at work, I’m on my feet all day and they be like going barefoot, only better.  For the garden, Redwing work boots are my fave. 

79FFF2DE-BF0A-4406-94A8-17B625502711.jpeg

On 1/6/2018, 2:18:33, Tracy S said:

Brooks also. Great running shoes.  But I just got these new Sloggers that I'm pretty excited about. Should be good in the garden.

20171218_152355.jpg

Those are cute but I fear they look kind of delicate for operating a shovel. Let us know.

• Upvote 2

Sensi flip flops. They are the most comfortable shoes. I wear mine almost everyday.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Assuming the question is for gardening shoes . . .

These American made boots have nice soles almost as comfortable as tennis shoes.

They cost about $160 when I got them about ten years ago. (The blond hairpiece in the lower part of the picture is Tar Baby the cat, muscling in, as usual.)

CB4265B3-A447-4B83-ACFF-70BDAF51AB07.thuD9E43E5F-14E4-4346-BE99-98383A081F78.thu

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Otherwise the shoe of choice in Chuck Taylor IIs, far better to garden in than regular chucks. High tops keep the dirt out.

2141D810-9A84-4630-807D-1504B007155B.thu

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These are the two pairs of shoes that i wear 99% of the time. This is my first pair of ariat work boots and were $230 new.  I like them much better than redwing or any other work boot and they have a carbon fiber toe which i really prefer over steel.  They are now 18 months old and have at least another 18 left in them and are still completely water proof. I wore the sole out in the last pair of redwings in 18 months.  

I used to wear those canvas crocs but i was wearing out 2-3 pair a year and then the price of them doubled about 2 years ago. They are very comfortable and if i could find a close out sale on them id pick up a dozen or so and retire the flipflops for a while.  

20180107_200110.jpg

Whatever I can get. Summer i prefer trainers (sneakers), in winter I want hiking boots

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I'm usually barefoot unless I have to put a spade in the ground...then a old pair of top siders.

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Outside of work (where I have to wear heels, and often opt for a cute wedge heeled sandal when possible) it's flip flops for everything (flip flops with support for gardening/yard work), unless I'll be working in an area that has standing water, fire ants, or poison ivy. In that case I step into my pink camo Muck boots :lol:

wwpk-rapg_6.jpg

• Upvote 5

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Oh, nice boots, Tracy and Missi!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

7 hours ago, Missi said:

Outside of work (where I have to wear heels, and often opt for a cute wedge heeled sandal when possible) it's flip flops for everything (flip flops with support for gardening/yard work), unless I'll be working in an area that has standing water, fire ants, or poison ivy. In that case I step into my pink camo Muck boots :lol:

wwpk-rapg_6.jpg

Lady Gaga in the garden!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Lady Gaga in the garden!

LMAO!  After a very long day, I needed that!

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

17 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Lady Gaga in the garden!

EWWWW NOOO! I can't stand her! :sick: Take it baaaaaaack!! 

6 minutes ago, Missi said:

EWWWW NOOO! I can't stand her! :sick: Take it baaaaaaack!! 

Okay, sorry.

22 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Okay, sorry.

HAHA It's okay!! :wub:

• Upvote 1