Howeadypsis

Fruit on a Chamaedorea metallica?

Howeadypsis

It seems my C.metallica is fruiting. Two green berries at the end of a flower stem. The other flower stems dried up ages ago but one stayed fleshy and put out two fruits. Funny thing is I thought it was a dioecious species, and I dont know anyone nearby with palms. Weird.

Howeadypsis

Close up of the fruit. Do they ripen to red, or black?

IMG_20180104_220133.jpg

Howeadypsis

And the entire plant

IMG_20180104_220033.jpg

• Upvote 2

stone jaguar

Will be parthenocarpic (= no seed) if no male Chamaedorea nearby. Fruits ripen black, but these may just shrivel prior to color change.

This is quite a common phenomenon in this genus and we see a couple of queries like this on PT every year.

• Upvote 1

gtsteve

Aw snap. Then my split leaf metalica is probably a false pregnancy too.

5a4efe3c3f7c5_Metalicaseeds(2).thumb.JPG

• Upvote 1

Howeadypsis
6 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Aw snap. Then my split leaf metalica is probably a false pregnancy too.

5a4efe3c3f7c5_Metalicaseeds(2).thumb.JPG

Ah yours has split leaves?

gtsteve

Yes, they are less common and yours has big healthy bifid leaves which are remarkably clear.

And shiny, it is so perfect that it almost looks like plastic.

Err, that is not a criticism. :-) 

• Upvote 1

Howeadypsis
33 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

Yes, they are less common and yours has big healthy bifid leaves which are remarkably clear.

And shiny, it is so perfect that it almost looks like plastic.

Err, that is not a criticism. :-) 

I must be doing something right then ;)

gtsteve

It turns out that my metalica had a real rather than a false pregnancy after all.

I have collected half of the seeds already and cleaned and planted them.

I'm not entirely surprised, because the boyfriend is all over her, but apparently they don't usually set fruit easily.

I don't know what the fertilization vector is but the prevailing wind is from the wrong side

It will be interesting how many splits Vs bifids I get. 

P7130002.JPG.e697f3ded92df92059a76fe22fd

P7130001.JPG.4f6c06af912b14f57201049a6c0

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• RobustaEnvirons
      By RobustaEnvirons
      A week or two ago I bought a Chamadorea Metallica from a seller on ebay. It arrived looking stunning! It still does looks the same. Although, the day it arrived I noticed that it had a small black spot on the trunk on the trunk (where the remnants of an old leaf had been). I asked the seller and they said that it was from when their was a stain on a leaf and it stayed on their too long. And they just should've removed the leaf, but didn't remove it quick enough. So they said its made a stain on the underlying leaf(s). So now the "stain" is spreading and its getting worse. How many leaf layers could a stay like this go through. The seller doesn't know what it could be other than that. The're almost positive that this is all it is. But, they've said they'll replace it if it goes downhill. The seller tells me that the specimen will be fine, and that it'll not be hurt. But, I worry about it since its otherwise so very nice. 
      When I recieved it on Sat/Sun July 22/23rd, I immediatly potted it up. And then I watered it, accidently giving it too much water. The next day I noticed mold on the soil's surface around the bottom of the trunk. I checked the soil to see how wet it still was on Thursday July 27 (every day I noticed mold, which I removed). I realized that none of the water really had drained too much. The soil was still very saturated. The pot I used has drainage holes in it, and a drainage tray to catch water. But, I guess due to the fact that my apartment stays around 70F-75F, it didn't dry too much.
      Well, I immediatly repotted it in fresh dry soil. I made up a fresh mix, this time I went with a fast-draining soil (the first time I mainly left a lot of Peat in there since I thought it needed to stay wet). The seller has informed me that this palm can go a while without water. So now I know this. They told me to lay off watering for 1 week.  
      This new mix I potted it up in, on Thursday I know drains well. I went with a mix that is composed of "Miracle-Gro Cactus, Palm & Citrus Potting Mix", "Miracle-Gro Perlite", and "Sand". I've used this for years on my Washingtonia Robusta, and everything else from my Dracaena Marginata and even my Pachisandra Terminalis. I use it for every specimen pretty much. Its never let me down.
      I've not seen any mold now since I repotted it on Thursday with the new fresh mix. But, the spot (that was present upon arrival) was still there. The seller instructed me to remove the remainder of the leaf that had the spot. Well, I did this and the underlying leaf also had a spot (albeit smaller at that time). Since then the spot on the underlying leaf has gotten larger and I worry its going to eventually spread to kill off that leaf (probably will take a long while though). The palm fronds show no signs of stress that I can see. It pretty much still looks like it did when I unwrapped it out of the shipping box. But, nonetheless the seller has told me to avoid watering for a week, see how it does, and get back in touch with them with an update on it.
      What could be the cause of this black spot? Is it fungus? Is it bacteria or something? Is there anything I can do to stop it from spreading?  

What it originally looked like when it arrived.  

What it looks like now. I removed the leaf remnants as the seller instructed. It reveals the underlying leaf, with a small spot on the edges.