IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Georgia & South Carolina, USA: January 2018 freeze

Sandy Loam

Thank God the Piedmont is safe for a change! Sorry for yall on the coast.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Oh no!  Those palms don't look happy in Charleston right now.  I suppose the Trachycarpus won't be bothered as much as thr queen palm.

It is amazing how far south that cold air was pulled down, and strange that it was so cold along the coastal areas. I have read that it was the simultaneous convergence of different weather systems (a perfect storm), but I fail to comprehend the climate science behind it.

• Upvote 2

Just getting worse, now it's heavy snow & supposed to not let up until tomorrow morning. Total freak event for the deep south.

huruj9.jpg

• Upvote 3

@Laaz

OUCH OUCH OUCH

Reminds me (too much) of Ohio, way back when. Walk to the car, slip, try to grab something, everything is covered with that nasty, oily ice.

Cadillac Fleetwood (1976) frisbees around a corner. Hits lamp post, another Caddy and a police car. Mommy. (Not my car, thank heaven.)

be careful :(, everyone over there, @Sandy Loam too.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Charleston is supposed to be down to 18 Friday morning per the new forecast...  Not lytocaryum weather for sure...

• Upvote 1

I've never seen a waffle house close for anything. If the building is standing they're slinging grease.

• Upvote 3

Wow, that's the first time I've seen a Waffle House photo posted on PalmTalk, y'all.  Yeah, if Waffle House is closed, it's the beginning of some sort of apocalypse.  Even your Walmart must be closed. 

Laaz, I feel your pain.  I am about to endure my own pain (supposedly a night of 24 degrees F is forthcoming at my home), but I just can't imagine how awful it must be to see your hard landscaping work be pushed to the limits like this. This snow is just so weird for Charleston -- a coastal town which rarely ever gets below mid-20s, right?      

• Upvote 1

Truly crazy Todd. The worst (and we get it here) is the heavy wet snow. It weighs a ton and damages plants, trees etc. That thick layer of ice isn't helping either. Bet of luck down there.

Cheers, Barrie.

Edited by Las Palmas Norte
  • Upvote 1

It's been a long dry freeze here.  We were in the mid teens all Monday night, down to 14F, and barely got above freezing yesterday and today.  We had a few snow flurries today, and we're forecast for low 20's tonight and about 18-19F the next couple nights.  

I brought a bunch of potted plants inside on Monday, then a bunch more at 11 PM after I realized it was going to get below the 18F forecast.  By 11 PM, we'd already been at 18F for 2-3 hours, after being below freezing most of the day - most pots up to 3 gallon were frozen through.  I had about 2 dozen C. revoluta sprouts in liners from locally sourced seed.....I had hoped these would prove to be extra cold hardy but may have just toasted them all.  

I also left a bunch of stuff outside to experience 14F and subsequent lows (with varying degrees of protection).  I'll report on what survived when it's all over with.

Steve.

Edited by Turtlesteve

Waffle house is only good for hangovers or late night bad decisions. Just my $.02

Hope yall get through it! Looks pretty bad even for here. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

Coffee is always good & hot...

Hot? Yes.   Good? Well, um, er ...

But, secretly, I'm a Waffle House regular.  Don't tell anybody though.

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@Laaz

OUCH OUCH OUCH

Reminds me (too much) of Ohio, way back when. Walk to the car, slip, try to grab something, everything is covered with that nasty, oily ice.

Cadillac Fleetwood (1976) frisbees around a corner. Hits lamp post, another Caddy and a police car. Mommy. (Not my car, thank heaven.)

be careful :(, everyone over there, @Sandy Loam too.

What!  That was YOU in the swerving Fleetwood?!!

7 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Charleston is supposed to be down to 18 Friday morning per the new forecast...  Not lytocaryum weather for sure...

ouch

fecal

material

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looking bad this afternoon for anything left outside.  3 nights in a row so far:  14F, 16-17F, 18F.  Finally got above freezing long enough for damage to start showing.

100% defoliation (or worse) for Livistona chinensis, L. decora, Dioon edule, mule palm, coontie.  Many Cycas revoluta and some C. panzihuaensis will defoliate.  Small windmills and C. humilis are showing burn, as are some B. Odorata around town with green leaflets (blue ones are OK so far).

Steve

This has been a very rough January! We got blasted with some cold air in North Georgia. January 1st had a high of only 30 degrees and then the 2nd had a high of 33 and a low of 14. The 14 degree is the coldest we have experienced so far this season and hopefully the coldest we will experience. Last night we hit 25 and tonight is forecasted at 18. My sago palm has nearly 100% burned from the cold. I have a 2 year old Sabal Palmetto seedling I germinated from seed I collected in Pensacola with significant damage. Trachycarpus, Rhapidophyllum, Chamaerops, Butia, Sabal Minor and my larger Sabal Palmetto are not showing any significant damage, if any at all, today. I also have a Washingtonia palm which I wrapped up on January 2nd. I am not certain how it is doing as I am yet to unwrap it. Tuesday will bring Temps in the mid to high 50s so looking forward to the warm up!

20 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

What!  That was YOU in the swerving Fleetwood?!!

Nope, was a bystander.

Nasty, scary, but no one got hurt.

News says there is a broken water main downtown Charleston.  That'll make a mess in this weather...

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I sould avoid that area. I'm in North Charleston & the roads are all black ice. Accident everywhere. We never get this kind of weather here. Went out yesterday & nothing was open, not even the fast food places. McD's, Wendys... You name it, all closed down. Doubt much will be open today either.

• Upvote 1

www.postandcourier.com/news/car-slides-off-icy-north-charleston-road-killing-pedestrian-as/article_db1c21a8-f20d-11e7-8216-6b085e1bfd

Wow you guys got hammered.  I have relatives in South Carolina, but they live further upstate and only occasionally see that kind of weather.

Brevard County, Fl

Yes. I haven't taken a picture since the snow started melting but the fronds have sprung back better than I expected and much better than the smaller one in the back yard.

2018-01-03_17-32-36_240.jpeg

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Laaz said:

This is insane...

s64qvt.jpg

Looks like the worst is over for you. I sure hope all those amazing citrus and palms you have all make a speedy recovery with hopefully no more cold like this for this year. And a hot summer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mthteh1916 said:

Looks like the worst is over for you. I sure hope all those amazing citrus and palms you have all make a speedy recovery with hopefully no more cold like this for this year. And a hot summer.

Good grief ... it's even rare to see that kind of cold up in my part of west coast Canada !!!

Hope there's no plant casualties. Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 1

Unbelievable.  I thought Charleston was supposed to be a fairly warm city in winter.  Laaz, is this the first time in your life that this has happened?  .....a once every forty years type of freak accident?

• Upvote 1