IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Funny ads on PalmTalk

Kim

I am seeing some hilarious ads on PalmTalk today. 

Okay, I tend to dress modestly, but whiskey tango foxtrot? Not into witchcraft or goth, by the way... :o:lol:

5a4ae8eb70833_ScreenShot2018-01-01at6.12

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Simple suggestions! :mrlooney: You can either go with it - OR NOT! :lol:

PS. And I get ads from ETrailer.com and "Survival Skills Lost to History"! Why? :huh:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

That looks like a Halloween costume to me...  Is that what people are wearing today? 

@TexasColdHardyPalms Not everyone can look as good in Wranglers as we do.... :floor:

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

22 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

...  Is that what people are wearing today? 

NO. 

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

That coat would be in fashion here in the Olympia area for sure... lots of witches and tons of hippies here. I do love my shaved  head and full beard. Olympia was in Time magazine once as the most hippest cities in America. Any thing goes here, LOL and I love it for that reason. 

Lots of dumpster diving fashion here, I'd love to have these pants for gardening in... they keep showing up on my screen. LOL! 

15639165454737860574.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You all get the good ads, while I get the "re-finance your home / get out of debt" advertisements.. go figure, lol:floor::indifferent:

@Silas_SanconaThe internet knows us too well??? 

My ads are boring.... Buick cars, Saddleback leather company and one for jewelry.  I don't know where the car ad came from but perhaps my wife has been looking at jewlery? 

• Upvote 1

@Palm crazy I used to wear the MC Hammer version of those pants back in the 80s...

@Silas_Sancona You just need so surf the right sites and build up a "less boring" collection of cookies to get the good ads ;)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Yeah, those Google Ads are supposed to be engineered and tailored to our unique needs, desires and demographics based on data cookies, aren't they?   So, Kim, Google has carefully selected the goth coat just for you, and PalmCrazy, those MC Hammer trousers were hand-picked to suit your discriminating taste (or possibly your hipsterific zip code).  I wish they'd target me for something cool like that.  All I get are holiday ads.      

5 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Or just use AdBlock & never see any of that garbage.

Adblock users sure don't help support PalmTalk - unless they are IPS Members - or donate from time to time.

The ads are there for a reason. And the costs to bring PalmTalk to you grow as PalmTalk grows. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Is anyone really going to purchase 99% of this stuff? Many people consider these ads & other popups an annoyance. Just my opinion, but I have never clicked on or purchased anything through a ad or popup. No offense intended.

3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Palm crazy I used to wear the MC Hammer version of those pants back in the 80s...

@Silas_Sancona You just need so surf the right sites and build up a "less boring" collection of cookies to get the good ads ;)

@TexasColdHardyPalms The  refinancing ads might apply if i owned a home.. Perhaps the Great Web Conscious thinks window shopping over "land for sale "ads on Zillow counts. Concur with the get out of debt ads.. I'm sure I'm not the only plant geek who has spent just a wee to much from time to time, (.." looks at credit card bill, doh!") :D

@kinzyjr.. lol, I guess it could be worse, we could be seeing those Russian dating site ads:hmm: Thats ok though, this, currently single guy, prefers women from warmer places. Spicy enough yet?:innocent:

Edited by Silas_Sancona
Edit
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Yeah, those Google Ads are supposed to be engineered and tailored to our unique needs, desires and demographics based on data cookies, aren't they?   So, Kim, Google has carefully selected the goth coat just for you, and PalmCrazy, those MC Hammer trousers were hand-picked to suit your discriminating taste (or possibly your hipsterific zip code).  I wish they'd target me for something cool like that.  All I get are holiday ads.      

A few days later I was getting ads for furniture and cooking/barbecue items, so who knows?  I do search online for clothing and purchase online but nothing resembling the black hooded ensemble displayed above. (I'm not that cool.) Once I did buy from an ad, recently, come to think of it, but the ad was for the exact item I had searched and it showed a price cut. Ding ding ding! Today I'm getting ads for vacation condos in Kauai. :innocent:

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I couldn't resist the urge after this thread and I had to click on that Gamiss ad and searched around on there just out of sheer curiosity.... The lion face hoodie was interesting.

• Upvote 2

You have to be careful with websites like Gamiss and similar looking ones. You don't actually get the item of clothing or accessory in the photo. You get a SUPER cheap made in China (at the worst, unskilled sweat shop ever) knockoff. Always Google the online shop's name + 'review' before placing an order with a company whose name you don't recognize. If the prices look too good to be true, they usually are.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.gamiss.com

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@PALM MOD so, if we click on the ads more will they be more likely to renew their ad campaigns, which will help the site?

Google Ads (Adsense), which these are, have super strict policies forbidding the clicking on ads for the sole purpose of increasing ad revenue for the "Publisher" (Palmtalk). So it is critical not to click on ads unless you really wish to learn more about the product. Doing so could have us designated as an abuser of their ad system. We would no longer be eligible to earn any revenue, and it is next to impossible to appeal any such ruling and be reinstated.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I have clicked on one that I found interesting, it was a garden kit that had a bunch of different digging tools, gloves, etc. I am still considering buying it. 

PalmTreeDude

I get ads like this for animal shelters.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/3/2018, 8:28:34, Palm crazy said:

That coat would be in fashion here in the Olympia area for sure... lots of witches and tons of hippies here. I do love my shaved  head and full beard. Olympia was in Time magazine once as the most hippest cities in America. Any thing goes here, LOL and I love it for that reason. 

Lots of dumpster diving fashion here, I'd love to have these pants for gardening in... they keep showing up on my screen. LOL! 

15639165454737860574.jpg

WHISKEY

TANGO

FOX-EXPLETIVE-TROT! :bemused:

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I wouldn't mind seeing how those jungle pants like along with that witch hoodie. That would get some attention for sure.

I did the pants in the 80s, but the pants and the hoodie? here or in Texas?  That's asking to end up in the wrong section of the newspaper!

Lakeland, FL

14 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

... the Lakeland classifieds?

LMAO!  More like the Missing Persons section or the Obituaries...

Lakeland, FL

17 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

LMAO!  More like the Missing Persons section or the Obituaries...

.. Not sure what part of town you're in but I'd wager anyone bold enough to wear the outfit, that I remember seeing around Tampa or Clearwater could probably handle themselves, with ease. Think MMA, crazy group of boys and gals.

@Silas_Sancona The side of town I'm on now, they'd just take a picture on their overpriced phones and laugh.  The side of town I used to live on... let's just say it got famous for drive-by's so I moved.

Lakeland, FL

:bemused:

Like, wow!

IMG_20180106_151333.png

• Upvote 2

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Now I finally know where @DoomsDave got those red shoes from!

• Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

12 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Silas_Sancona The side of town I'm on now, they'd just take a picture on their overpriced phones and laugh.  The side of town I used to live on... let's just say it got famous for drive-by's so I moved.

Lol, very true. Then again, we had both flavors (and then some) on the street we'd lived on when in Bradenton.. and that was supposedly a better part of town. I could literally write two chapters in a book about our normal, and not so normal neighbors there. 

Flipping the coin for a sec, as colorful as these clothing choice ads might be, imagine if some of the crazy fashion trends that surfaced last year actually caught on..

Romphim anyone? ..or  a pair of detachable, clear knee mom jeans anyone??:wacko: By far the best had to be the skirts made from dry cleaning bags, or car mats. Whaoza!

• Upvote 2

I live in a funky college town, so it's all car mats and dry cleaning bags here.

Edited by Sandy Loam

7 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I live in a funky college town, so it's all car mats and dry cleaning bags here.

WHOA

• 3 years later...

I have got some strange ads.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson