IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapidophyllum hystrix making it "safer" for kids and animals

mdsonofthesouth

Wondering if its possible to make this one safer for kids, or will the needles grow back with a vengeance? Reason I ask is Im planning on putting one in an area where balls/kids and animals might go. Thanks yall!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

@mdsonofthesouth Depending on the size you get, it might be a long time until it has enough needles to be a nuisance.  I've had mine for 7 years.  It is barely past knee high and I've never got gouged by it.  I don't think the cat has either. ;)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

@mdsonofthesouth Depending on the size you get, it might be a long time until it has enough needles to be a nuisance.  I've had mine for 7 years.  It is barely past knee high and I've never got gouged by it.  I don't think the cat has either. ;)

Yeah slow grower for sure, I'm just worried about kids falling into one playing outside. 

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Agave are more dangerous than needle palms.

My yucca gloriosa var lone star go through even the thickest pants...

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Those needles are held close to the stem which is surrounded by leaves. A kid would have to wrap himself around it and hug it with a vengeance then pray to be scratched. He is more likely to be skewered by rose bushes or holly planted in many yards. Kids grow faster than needle palms and soon move on to electronics and hanging out. After they bail on you, you will still have a loyal needle palm to console you. Go for your dreams.

• Upvote 4

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Those needles are held close to the stem which is surrounded by leaves. A kid would have to wrap himself around it and hug it with a vengeance then pray to be scratched. He is more likely to be skewered by rose bushes or holly planted in many yards. Kids grow faster than needle palms and soon move on to electronics and hanging out. After they bail on you, you will still have a loyal needle palm to console you. Go for your dreams.

Haha yeah I hear ya and I certainly will once @TexasColdHardyPalms has a good specimen for me to plant. 

• Upvote 1

I found a few large 10G ones tucked away last week that I may decide to sell instead of plant in the ground.. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I found a few large 10G ones tucked away last week that I may decide to sell instead of plant in the ground.. 

If you do I might be your guy! 

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

@mdsonofthesouth & @TexasColdHardyPalms Everything/Everyone has a price ;)

haha yes it does! Mine usually is healthy plants lol:P

Some people prune lower leaves, but the one we planted in full sun is mostly untouched and grows a full crown that touches the ground all the way around and prevents most things/critters from getting near the trunk.

• Upvote 1

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

6 minutes ago, redbeard917 said:

Some people prune lower leaves, but the one we planted in full sun is mostly untouched and grows a full crown that touches the ground all the way around and prevents most things/critters from getting near the trunk.

Honestly I think a full un-pruned needle looks stately, and if I can secure one it will be full sun or very close to it.

We cant grow them full sun down here. I had one with 2' of trunk finally die from too much sun after i moved a tree two years ago. It just started to decline and go into a death spiral. 

We have a brutal enough summer from May through September to make the trachycarpus hate life on some days without a good dose of water. But we do have enough of a cool early spring, late fall and winter to cool them off. @TexasColdHardyPalms where your'e at is pretty dry generally speaking right? 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

We are about the same here & humid as hell. I have two in full sun and never miss a beat. They started out as 5 gal plants about 15 years ago.

I have a needle planted, it is still small, only about two feet off of the ground with a lot of suckers, the needles are like long toothpicks. I have seen some massive ones around here and it is the only palm that I would buy from a place like Lowes since I know it wont get shocked from a Virginia winter after being shipped in from Florida. I love them! 

PalmTreeDude

1 minute ago, Laaz said:

When I planted them.

2h58ww5.jpg

Now...

9aqweq.jpg

Wow! The one in the bottom right looks like mine now, but mine has a bunch of suckers around it. Can't you propagate the suckers?

PalmTreeDude

4 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Yeah, the pups root real easy as long as you get a decent piece of root with it.

Well you just put an idea in my head, once the suckers or if new suckers move close to the grass from my planter I will probably dig them up. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

I have small kids and was not all that concerned by the needles (nothing compared to the wild blackberries and fire ants that I can't get under control).

As far as growth rate, middle of the road is my experience so far.  Faster than S. minor or C. humilis, slower than Butia, about the same as Windmill.  I planted a "blue pot" needle (2 gallon) that's now probably ~7 gal after 2 years in the ground.  Planted in a low, wet spot in about 75% sun.  A second "blue pot" needle promptly died after being planted.

Steve

Now I really want one!

I have one left under canopy near the house on the west side yard. They can’t take full FL sun down here. I’m a bit too south of their natural range but I wanted to have a representative of each native palm species.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Rhapidophyllum hystrix is the first palm i wanted to try and the hardest to find. I keep seeing Banana Joe getting HD versions and read about folks online getting them easy at HD. Yet they aren't one of the several species they sell around here. Weird that they sell chamerops humilis as an outdoor palm but not rhapidophyllum.

@PalmatierMeg Im jealous of your location. The more we get this freak weather theb more I try and nudge the wife to move, even showing the possible snow they said outside the Tampa area and she wont budge. Sadly and all jokes aside if I'm going to live in my favortite place it will be alone.:(

Haha not an option they will just have to learn the hard way!

• 1 month later...
On 29/12/2017, 05:12:37, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah slow grower for sure, I'm just worried about kids falling into one playing outside. 

My yucca gloriosa var lone star go through even the thickest pants...

if they do fall into it it will probably only happen once XD

my dogs are really respectful of my agave's-- its satisfying to see them take care as they scamper around 

Edited by Jamesasb