IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2018 Florida Freeze

Alan_Tampa

6 hours ago, Tampa Scott said:

KFLTAMPA19

Nice, looks like you've got an anemometer set up too. I bookmarked your station, it will be interesting to keep an eye on it over the next week with all the cold weather that's expected.

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Trending upwards for the Cape, now 38 will be the lowest. 

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

It looks like my area may get below 30F next week.  It's been a little while since I've seen below 30F here, so let's see if we can keep the streak in tact :)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I havent seen a temp below 31F for more than a decade, I'm hoping to keep the 10a streak goin too :P

• Upvote 1

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

5 hours ago, Chatta said:

I havent seen a temp below 31F for more than a decade, I'm hoping to keep the 10a streak goin too :P

Even January 2010? 

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

26 minutes ago, Alan_Tampa said:

Even January 2010? 

Yes jan 2010 was 31f my lowest low ive personally recorded.  It coulda been lower in some.parts of the property.. im on 4 acers mostly forest.  31f was recorded near lake side. My parents have ofcourse recorded way lower temps over their time here since 76

Edited by Chatta

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Jan 14 low: 42.6F

24 degrees lower than yesterday

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Keeps trending up which is a great direction! 40 now the lowest forecasted this coming week. Just need to get through another month.

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 1

25 degrees this morning. Just 24 hours before they had the low at 31 before changing it to 28 about 12 hours before...

Here's how my forecast is looking. Has barely trended only a little better in the last day or two: before we were supposed to have two sub 25 degree freezes. This is still a formidable cold snap though.

What I hate almost as much as the cold is the BONE DRY air that accompanies all this. My hands shrivel up with the dryness.

5a5ba3f8e23b2_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.66

1 hour ago, Opal92 said:

25 degrees this morning. Just 24 hours before they had the low at 31 before changing it to 28 about 12 hours before...

Here's how my forecast is looking. Has barely trended only a little better in the last day or two: before we were supposed to have two sub 25 degree freezes. This is still a formidable cold snap though.

What I hate almost as much as the cold is the BONE DRY air that accompanies all this. My hands shrivel up with the dryness.

5a5ba3f8e23b2_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.66

Yes that dry air remains me of up north. Our dew point right now is not too bad, it is 47.  Last night the dew point went down to 33, but I am sure your dew point was much lower. And this is reminding me of last year, headed into a drought again. I don't even remember the last time it rained here.

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎58‎:‎04‎, RedRabbit said:

Nice, looks like you've got an anemometer set up too. I bookmarked your station, it will be interesting to keep an eye on it over the next week with all the cold weather that's expected.

I relocated the anemometer 3' off the second floor roof peak a few years ago. The landscaping had become a wind block for good wind readings in it's former location.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

pizap.com15159588311401.thumb.jpg.aa276d

Edited by Tampa Scott
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tampa Scott said:

I relocated the anemometer 3' off the second floor roof peak a few years ago. The landscaping had become a wind block for good wind readings in it's former location.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Nicely done, I'm jealous. Unfortunately there's really no way I could get a good wind reading in my current home so I didn't opt to get an anemometer. I certainly hope to have one at my next home, wherever that may be. 

Nice ravenea too, I haven't seen many around here that tall. :greenthumb: 

Thursday am looks like somehere between 30 and 32 for my area. I can take about 30 here without too much damage, but depends on how long. 

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

4 hours ago, Alan_Tampa said:

Thursday am looks like somehere between 30 and 32 for my area. I can take about 30 here without too much damage, but depends on how long. 

Thursday morning temps are trending down from yesterday forecasts. Hopefully the will trend back up.                        

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2018, 12:10:46, Palmaceae said:

Keeps trending up which is a great direction! 40 now the lowest forecasted this coming week. Just need to get through another month.

Up and down, guess we will find out Wednesday night! Trending down to 38 again. Snow possibility near Pensacola tomorrow night.

1 hour ago, Tampa Scott said:

Thursday morning temps are trending down from yesterday forecasts. Hopefully the will trend back up.                        

But I see nw winds for thursday am that's usually a plus for us in nw Hillsborough. 

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Winter weather advisories issued for Escambia, Walton, and Okaloosa (that's me) counties in Northwest Florida. I may see our second round of snowflakes this year!

I've already had lows of 28, 25, and 27 with this cold event. Low tomorrow night now forecast to 21 degrees.

NWS has only issued a freeze watch for Tampa area So far,  and forecast still wobly. From whew to nooooo! range 

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

3 hours ago, Alan_Tampa said:

NWS has only issued a freeze watch for Tampa area So far,  and forecast still wobly. From whew to nooooo! range 

Last time Tampa froze was in 2011. Hopefully that doesn't verify.

12 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

Last time Tampa froze was in 2011. Hopefully that doesn't verify.

My house in Seminole heights recorded 31.5˚ so far this winter. It looks like this Wednesday should be about the same.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On 1/15/2018, 6:54:57, Alan_Tampa said:

But I see nw winds for thursday am that's usually a plus for us in nw Hillsborough. 

I'm seeing a forecast for 30f with winds from the North at 10-15mph. That won't afford us any protection from the gulf. :/

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

I'm seeing a forecast for 30f with winds from the North at 10-15mph. That won't afford us any protection from the gulf. :/

Looking at 2 nights in the 30's here.  There will be a pretty stiff wind from the looks of it.  I'm shielded from the north wind over most of my property, so at least that much should be mitigated.

201801162205_weather.png

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

1 minute ago, kinzyjr said:

Looking at 2 nights in the 30's here.  There will be a pretty stiff wind from the looks of it.  I'm shielded from the north wind over most of my property, so at least that much should be mitigated.

201801162205_weather.png

Assuming there is wind, we don't have to worry about frost right? I'll protect my palms from the frost, but I think they'll fare okay without protection if frost isn't a factor.

Just now, RedRabbit said:

Assuming there is wind, we don't have to worry about frost right? I'll protect my palms from the frost, but I think they'll fare okay without protection if frost isn't a factor.

Supposedly, that is how it goes.  At a low of 30F, I won't have to worry about frost in the back, but I may still have some on the tops of the little knolls in my front yard out in the open.  The new live oak is already showing promise, as there was no frost under it during the last cold spell.  Canopy for the win.  I'll cover my coconut palms, but everything else will be fine to at least 25F, so I can sleep easy.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

20 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Supposedly, that is how it goes.  At a low of 30F, I won't have to worry about frost in the back, but I may still have some on the tops of the little knolls in my front yard out in the open.  The new live oak is already showing promise, as there was no frost under it during the last cold spell.  Canopy for the win.  I'll cover my coconut palms, but everything else will be fine to at least 25F, so I can sleep easy.

I'm going to seriously reconsider getting some canopy going after this winter! 

• Upvote 2

Canopy not as effective with advective freezes. This looks to be one. Will have lots of weird tropical firewood around May. Jack fuit wood burns hot enough to melt aluminum. Let's make some cookware. 

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

NOAA forecast low for Coastal Brevard is 38F, trending down last few days. I haven't been this active with cold protection in years!

The low temps continue westward, with Corpus at 32 and Brownsville at 37 at 3pm. South Texas has gotten hit hard the last few events.

11 minutes ago, IHB1979 said:

The low temps continue westward, with Corpus at 32 and Brownsville at 37 at 3pm. South Texas has gotten hit hard the last few events.

Well, 2PM for their local time.

17 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I'm going to seriously reconsider getting some canopy going after this winter! 

4 hours ago, Alan_Tampa said:

Canopy not as effective with advective freezes. This looks to be one. Will have lots of weird tropical firewood around May. Jack fuit wood burns hot enough to melt aluminum. Let's make some cookware. 

Couple it with surrounding your property with hedges for windbreaks... after that, cross your fingers LOL

Lakeland, FL

Had what I describe a "slim" coating of sleet and freezing rain on everything overnight- wasn't enough to cause road problems. Temp hit 24 in the morning with 37 being our high (incredible). Now it's close to 4:30 and it is already 32 outside. This is going to be a hard freeze tonight. I'm thinking at least 20 degrees, and wouldn't be surprised to see teens.

Not looking good here, but I am holding out hope. A look at the last 24 hrs (Tue 6pm- Wed 6 pm) from my weather station.vws742.jpg.e619ea74b1b3e55bc84910eb1f428

• Upvote 1

My forecast has dropped to 28f. Can't rule out a downside surprise of 25 tonight.

Being that this is advective rather than radiational I'd expect more uniformity in temperatures throughout the region than on a normal radiational night. In other words, this will probably hit places like S Tampa and southern Pinellas worse than usual.