IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How do you see Pritchardia beccariana in habitat?

knell

Can anyone give me the details on how to see P. beccariana in habitat? All i can find is the “moist slopes of Mauna Loa to 3000ft”

Thanks in advance!

I've never been, but I've read online that they can be seen on the sides of the road along Stainback Hwy near Kulani, or in the Ola'a Forest Reserve.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Here's a couple I found along the road on google maps.

https://goo.gl/1tUUja

https://goo.gl/kKr8wJ

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Looks like the pages didn't hyperlink. Here's the links again (with an extra one added of one I found right after posting)

https://goo.gl/LTqGV1 

https://goo.gl/bhRzaX 

https://goo.gl/C1Gdk7 

Colin: What I did was go to the spots where I've heard people reporting that they grow and scroll through google maps streetview until I found some. Apparently they're abundant enough that they're pretty easy to spot from the street.

• Upvote 2

Keith 

I've done the Stainback Highway towards Kulani, too. Some very tall, old ones on the road above Mountain View. There are turnoffs where you can see younger trees that aren't telephone poles, but watch out for hunters who look for feral pigs up there. Here are a couple of pics.

beccar_kulani_6.JPG.e66b1ff787fa409ec2ef

beccar_kulani_7.JPG.0e1d93108a6fecc78ced

There is also one off in the forest in the Ola'a Forest Reserve near Volcano.

beccar_olaa_3.JPG.fdc2aab15ab6739dccd994

• Upvote 4

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Mike, aren't the palms around Volcano the subspecies v. giffardiana ?  I had thought that these are a population disjunct from the lower elevations, separated by a gap in the elevation band and occurring up to 4000 feet asl.  I have always wanted to acquire seeds of this form !    Giffardiana is a recognized form in the Kew Monocot Checklist, published in 1921.

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Darold, until I read your post, I was unaware of a variety of P. beccariana. But it's well enough explained in the first two paragraphs of Hodel's Loulu book. If you don't have that book, Beccari and Rock differed on the status of the variety, with Rock promoting a new species and Beccari thinking that differences were the result of different elevations and environmental conditions. Beccari and Rock compromised by listing it as a variety. But I never read about beccariana because it was a "known" to me, as I have two big fruiting examples in my yard.

I am unaware of any lowland populations of P. beccariana. The two Kulani photos in my previous post were taken at around 3,000 ft. The Ola'a Reserve palm was at an elevation two or three hundred feet higher. My own palms are from seeds from palms in a park in Hilo that were donated long years ago by Donn Carlsmith, so I know nothing about their heredity. Unfortunately, they were removed several years ago.

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to this thread, Bo and I were able to locate a few individuals. It was a fun little expedition; a few photos... 

Our first sighting, no seedlings nearby. The area is overrun with invasive strawberry guava.

F4DDFEE8-A72E-43DB-BF51-EC1A008C4849.thu

This pair are much older, quite tall, and the lower one was fruiting. 

CE22CABF-4033-4BE0-9BE9-F0C31E2D8DB0.thu

909D9F40-48FA-484A-8D82-BA9A5988D2BA.thu

Always exciting to view palms in habitat, and this was no exception. Afterward we celebrated with a bubble tea from Honi Wai Café.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

A few more photos in addition to what Kim posted above. Second photo is a close-up of the fruit on the lower one in Kim's second photo. Third photo below shows what Stainback Highway looks like at this point.

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

• Upvote 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Nice photos all. These photos were taken just off Saddle Road while construction was just started on the lower portion toward Hilo. 

I could never find the trail again after the highway realignment, it looks so different. Anyway, it was beautiful. 

Tim

P1020904.jpg

P1020897.jpg

P1020898.jpg

P1020899.jpg

• Upvote 6

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Nice pictures Bo and KIm, and Tim. Now I am inspired to come over and do some searching.

aloha

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I give props to anyone who can ID this species! Anytime I come across any loulu, I always assume it's pacifica... :bummed: 

Also, for the Big Islanders here, does anyone know anything about the loulu at the Panaewa Zoo? I came across one that was labeled "gordonii" a couple of months ago. Is this a new species?

Great pics everyone!

• Like 1

I think that the loulu outside the entrance and to the right as you enter are P. schattaueri. I don't know of anyone who knows for sure, but I have seen and grown many juveniles of this species, and that's what it looks like to me. Inside the zoo, I know of several maidenianas (formerly affinis), a thurstoni, and a beccariana, the latter two outside  a covered meeting area with restrooms and a children's  play area. And I know about the gordonii, because I was part of the team that planted it. I believe it was donated by Jeff Marcus.

• Like 3

Mike Merritt

On 1/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, mike in kurtistown said:

I think that the loulu outside the entrance and to the right as you enter are P. schattaueri. I don't know of anyone who knows for sure, but I have seen and grown many juveniles of this species, and that's what it looks like to me. Inside the zoo, I know of several maidenianas (formerly affinis), a thurstoni, and a beccariana, the latter two outside  a covered meeting area with restrooms and a children's  play area. And I know about the gordonii, because I was part of the team that planted it. I believe it was donated by Jeff Marcus.

Mike, thanks for the info!  Luckily for the tags on the them!  If not, I would have assumed they were pacifica as always... :unsure:

Do you know if and when they will ever open up the Amy Greenwell Ethnobotanical Garden???  Since I started getting into plants, I was bummed to find out that they are no longer open!

I don't know anything about the garden, perhaps the Palmtalk moderator, a resident of the area, might be able to help. The garden is the source of my seeds of P. schattaueri and P. glabrata, the latter a really beautiful species. I think they also have a display of P. beccariana, and I recall several P. napaliensis plants as well.

Mike Merritt

Also, I recall that there is a P. pacifica at the entrance. It's the tall, skinny one.

Mike Merritt

At the entrance of the Pana'ewa Zoo, that is.

Mike Merritt

• 8 months later...

Had the chance to visit these guys in the wild.  Weather was bad so couldn't get closer shots. I appreciate them more now after seeing them in habitat!

20191013_134412.jpg

20191013_134100.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/25/2018 at 7:38 PM, realarch said:

Nice photos all. These photos were taken just off Saddle Road while construction was just started on the lower portion toward Hilo. 

I could never find the trail again after the highway realignment, it looks so different. Anyway, it was beautiful. 

Tim

P1020904.jpg

P1020897.jpg

P1020898.jpg

P1020899.jpg

Awesome! Are you referring to the newest realignment that bypasses Kaumana City?  I'd really love to see this one too!