IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ptychosperma ID 12-24-27

DoomsDave

Here’s a Ptychosperma I found in my inventory; anyone have a thought as to species?

9E5AA83F-3EFE-4DDE-BC8A-E26BBD3900C1.thu

27D426CA-284B-4344-BEE5-DC9297F55C7E.thu

31136F1D-1DC3-4DE3-B960-B8A21FCBFDBB.thu

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow, that's a looker Dave. Looked at first like my caryotoides, but I don't think they cluster. I'm alway lookin for Ptychos that can survive in our area. They look great & don't take up much space..

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

16 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s a Ptychosperma I found in my inventory

Whichever it is, you have rediscovered a winner:  it has survived the garden of doom, and is attractive! :D  It will be interesting to find out what species it is, because as Jim pointed out, it would be an appealing addition to many gardens; especially knowing that it has survived with no special attention.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, tjwalters said:

P. burretianum?  Doesn't look quite like my P. waitianum, seen here: 

P.waitianum.20111016-02.jpg

It sure looks like it might be. That’s the closest resemblance I found in palmpedia.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Wow, that's a looker Dave. Looked at first like my caryotoides, but I don't think they cluster. I'm alway lookin for Ptychos that can survive in our area. They look great & don't take up much space..

51 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

How about Ptychosperma linaera?

I have one and does very well for me.

Whatever it is, it surely is a pretty one.

45 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Whichever it is, you have rediscovered a winner:  it has survived the garden of doom, and is attractive! :D  It will be interesting to find out what species it is, because as Jim pointed out, it would be an appealing addition to many gardens; especially knowing that it has survived with no special attention.

Sometimes Santa gives you an inventory of what you already have. It was half buried in deep shade under the Giant Mule of Doom. That appears to have been very much to its liking.

4 hours ago, quaman58 said:

I'm Psycho for Ptychos!

I've got about a dozen species in the ground, both single and clustering types. The ones from the New Guinea highlands seem to do particularly well. If you can get a Beccariophoenix window type to prosper, you should have pretty good luck with almost all of them.

Anyone have any thoughts?

About ID?

burretianum and waitianum have the cuneate leaf tips, but they also reliably have very red new leaves. I'm trying to recall what the monograph was called, but Zona was the, or one of the, authors.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

The description of Ptychosperma was published by Essig in Allertonia in 1978. I had a copy but can't find it.

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Perhaps cuneatum, the new Palms book lists cuneatum as clumping, unlike the old Palms, which said they were solitary.

Mike Merritt

9 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Perhaps cuneatum, the new Palms book lists cuneatum as clumping, unlike the old Palms, which said they were solitary.

Agreed with cuneatum

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Mike nailed it

Dave u probably got this from Jeff M?

Sunset zone 24

15 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Mike nailed it

Dave u probably got this from Jeff M?

Well. it is clumping, heavily. I have another labeled as cuneatum, which is a lot more, er, cuneate . . . .

No clue where it came from. David Bowie might have brought it to me when he fell to Earth.

MV5BMTQ5NDg4MDgxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODU1

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

it is clumping, heavily. I have another labeled as cuneatum, which is a lot more, er, cuneate . . . .

No clue where it came from. David Bowie might have brought it to me when he fell to Earth.

Well that would explain everything

ha!

Sunset zone 24

If you're gonna fall to earth, might as well just fall.

MV5BNzMyODgzMjE1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjY3

• Upvote 1