Sign in to follow this  
Rd003

Hurricane Irma Fl

Rd003

As you all know, this September Hurricane Irma payed us a visit in South Florida. In my case this is the first hurricane that I have experienced in twelve years (Wilma Oct 24 2005). Here is some footage taken 

Warning: Palms were hurt in this video, viewer discretion is advised (jk but still) 

on September 10 documenting Irma’s passage across Southern Florida

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1laBcnVLk-g

• Upvote 1

Rd003

This is my footage by the way

(This was made using iMovie)

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Good times! Thanks for the memories. Very nice little production. I'm surprised your royal fell. Usually those trunks stand like granite. Ours dropped most of its crown on our metal roof.

Rd003

My royal fell becuase it was in a pot but they left it and it broke the pot and rooted, and we couldnt take it out, so we left it. The royal was a small seedling we found on Miami Beach back in 1993-4 and has been there since. Im also surprised but I have an inkling that some sort of mesovortice or gust passed by at awesome force, but it boggles me how it would survive Wilma, but not Irma :blink: . Also when it fell, it scraped a side of the roof (we had it redone in May) and took half of a Japanese tree fern down.  

How did your place fare?

PalmatierMeg
35 minutes ago, Rd003 said:

My royal fell becuase it was in a pot but they left it and it broke the pot and rooted, and we couldnt take it out, so we left it. The royal was a small seedling we found on Miami Beach back in 1993-4 and has been there since. Im also surprised but I have an inkling that some sort of mesovortice or gust passed by at awesome force, but it boggles me how it would survive Wilma, but not Irma :blink: . Also when it fell, it scraped a side of the roof (we had it redone in May) and took half of a Japanese tree fern down.  

How did your place fare?

The house did great. We didn't even lose power. We took a hit from cat 4 Hurricane Charley in 2004 and had to replace the roof while the rest of the area was pretty much leveled. We upgraded to metal roofing 11 months later - well worth the extra expense. I have 100s of palms planted around the property now and I truly believe those plantings shielded the house from most of Irma's winds. But we lost dozens of large and medium tropical shade trees on our 3-lot garden site. What can I say? Palms rule.

Palmaceae

Great video! And I agree with Meg, palms rule!

Here is my short video of Irma in Cape Coral, I recorded winds up to 109 mph. Did not lose one palm but did lose a few hardwood trees. I was not as fortunate as Meg with the power as I lost power for 6 days.

https://youtu.be/Q6H_6sEqT7Q

Rd003

My neighborhood did okay, some roof tiles went, about almost all the mango trees were uprooted (luckily my little trees were stout, except one that is slightly slanted) a queen palm snapped, and a bunch of queens fell in adjacent yards. A street of mahoganies snapped and branches almost destroyed cars, key word almost. I didnt have power for three days(the heat was insane) and I had me some Chef Boyardee (its pretty good after a hurricane, you should try it sometime). All the royals lost at least two to five leaves (my poor one fell) :crying:. Let me tell you, one glass door in my house didnt have shutters (I filmed out of the door) and it was flexing and i had a feeling it would give in, it didnt :innocent:. So yeah, Irma was pretty wild, but no damage on the west coast myst be a miracle, im glad your palms were A-ok^_^