IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mo' Free Chamadorea radicalis seeds

DoomsDave

On 3/24/2018 at 2:14 PM, Kai said:

So some of the plants from some time ago are now starting to make their first divided leaves. Time for some Amsterdam microclimate experimenting...

20180324_220927.thumb.jpg.8557e99a72ff85

Springtime is allmost here, I just couldn't wait. Got more to plant out throughout my garden.

How are they doing now? Pictures?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 3/25/2018 at 4:03 AM, Palmensammler said:

Hello Kai,

these are already big :rolleyes:, mine are just little seedlings but maybe because they have been kept inside with low light and cool temperatures.

The second bunch of seeds started to germinate... Many more little C. radicalis to come :yay:.

Thanks Dave for sending....

Eckhard

C. radicalis 2 batch.jpg

How are they now? Show us! How the Happy People Palm can make one happy . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Dave,

first picture are seedlings from the first batch, second one from second batch. The ones from first batch are attached to my biggest radicalis (looks like trunking)

The others are still down in the cellar and it's hard to find them within all the other palm seedlings.

One small group will be planted out in spring.

Eckhard20190317_225739.thumb.jpg.22379403f8d3f381f447d7a2d0006332.jpg

20190317_225834.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 3 months later...

Here is a pic of my first flowering C. radicalis!  Just a little less than 2 years from receiving seed to flowering - I think it likes my slightly alkaline soil.  Thanks @DoomsDave !

C. radicalis on left in photo and C. microspadix to the right.  The microspadix is nearly 2 years older and has not flowered but has produced a few offsets.

C. radicalis flowering.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

17 hours ago, Fusca said:

Here is a pic of my first flowering C. radicalis!  Just a little less than 2 years from receiving seed to flowering - I think it likes my slightly alkaline soil.  Thanks @DoomsDave !

C. radicalis on left in photo and C. microspadix to the right.  The microspadix is nearly 2 years older and has not flowered but has produced a few offsets.

You're welcome!

C. rads have been the biggest and bestest palm giveaway so far. Easy to sprout, no real pitfalls.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have about 40 of these so I thought I would try one in the ground this year and protect it this winter. The one in the ground has grown more leaves than the ones I have in pots. I will be really surprised if I can keep this alive through an Ohio winter but I have been growing a sago palm in ground the past couple years so we will see.

IMG_9983.JPG

IMG_9985.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

My C. Radicalis is still looking good in southern Ohio zone 6b.  A really mild winter here so far which helps a lot. 

IMG_1187.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

ආයුබෝවන්Dave,

I received your parcel. If you have more palm varieties, please send me.

you are very generous and Thank you so much!!IMG-20200306-191055.jpg

Edited by Geeth
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave,

here is a picture of some young C. radicals grown from your seed. They are now planted out close to the house (protection in winter time).

The damaged leaves will soon be cut of. Currently its around 15cm high. They don't grow that fast here in pots.

Hope they grow well and a little faster now.

Eckhard1715443775_20200515_1953441.thumb.jpg.5d3daf14dd8590458234b315e1e2895a.jpg

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 1:58 PM, Fusca said:

That first flower must have been minor league - same palm today with a MAJOR league flower!  Must be at least 3 times longer.  None of the other 9 radicalis I planted at the same time have flowered yet.  The microspadix is bigger too and starting 3 flower stalks (first time flowering).

IMG_20200601_165616.jpg

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

• 1 month later...

I know it's an old offer, but I'd been interested in seeds or plants of Chamaedorea radicalis if you still have them.

sticker.gif?zipcode=98230&template=sticker_e&tempcolor=white&locationcolor=white&outlinecolor=black&bordercolor=gray

On 7/5/2020 at 5:15 PM, trachyman said:

I know it's an old offer, but I'd been interested in seeds or plants of Chamaedorea radicalis if you still have them.

Send me a PM with your address!

• 1 month later...

Do those bottles have drain holes? If not, move palms to regular draining pots. Your potting mix looks black and mucky and overwatered/underdrained. Your palms need a coarse, very well draining soil mix. See @Pal Meir's posts of recommended European potting mixes or contact him directly. Don't overwater them, don't let them sit in trays of water.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

The top inch is coco coir were i sew them in, that way i dont have flies in winter when germinating the seeds. The bottom is 50%coco coir 50%potting soil.

The bottles have holes in them.

I'll check on that mix jou recommend, thx!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 1:08 PM, DoomsDave said:

There's lots of seeds, ask and you will get.

Anywhere in the world.

Hi Dave,

Your seeds project is an inspiration

I was hoping these seeds would be a piece of cake but im having trouble bringing them out of dormancy. I soaked the 3-4 days, I think. Cleaned everything loose off them. They are being very gradually dried out and kept warm, between waterings.  The ones I checked on still pass the crush test.

Are they super temp-sensitive? I think ive let them get below 80 at night and occasionally into the 90's daytime. You said between 80-90. Could it be that?

Thanks again,

Ben

3 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Hi Dave,

Your seeds project is an inspiration

I was hoping these seeds would be a piece of cake but im having trouble bringing them out of dormancy. I soaked the 3-4 days, I think. Cleaned everything loose off them. They are being very gradually dried out and kept warm, between waterings.  The ones I checked on still pass the crush test.

Are they super temp-sensitive? I think ive let them get below 80 at night and occasionally into the 90's daytime. You said between 80-90. Could it be that?

Thanks again,

Ben

When did I send them?

They can take months, be patient. If I can sprout them, you can!

• Upvote 1

Haha. You are too modest. 

First batch arrived August 12. You sent me two batches since the first one got lost in the mail. But they eventually both got to me.  So there is still hope. Good.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave's right.  My first batch from 2 years ago took about 3 months to germinate.  I started a second batch in January that took 6 months, but they didn't get up the the temps you mentioned until May.  Some palm seeds are quick, most aren't.  I had some Brahea brandegeei seeds take 13 months @95°F and Acrocomia aculeata take 2 years!  Hurry up and wait!  LOL!

Jon Sunder

Keep trying!

You're not a "loser" if they don't sprout as expected.

Or, maybe I'm a serial loser's loser?

KEEP TRYING expletive.

• 2 months later...

Bump! Any seeds @DoomsDave? I like this as an indoor palm and would love some more. Such a great, bulletproof, carefree palm!

Here's a clump of three in a low light room. Imagine a denser clump in a pot! 

IMG_0190.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I've got more seeds, as well as plants if you like.

See my PM.

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

I like this as an indoor palm and would love some more.

Nice idea Matt, I'm trying some indoors as well like you are doing.  I've got about 8 seedlings in my similar sized pot.

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

A few of my C. Radicalis yesterday before I covered them for the winter. The one in the front survived last winter so planted a couple more this year. The leaves are starting to split but they seem like pretty slow growers for me.

IMG_2825.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey Dave,

I put my seeds in a baggie on December 2nd and saw no movement so I thought that I was not going to get any germination. Checked yesterday and saw a few sprouts.  Thanks and hopefully I will have some small palms soon.

20210207_095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 10:03 AM, Reyes Vargas said:

Hey Dave,

I put my seeds in a baggie on December 2nd and saw no movement so I thought that I was not going to get any germination. Checked yesterday and saw a few sprouts.  Thanks and hopefully I will have some small palms soon.

20210207_095431.jpg

Glad you posted this  and gives me hope for some germination on the many Dave graciously sent me as well.   Dec. 30th 2020 was start of mine so will hold out hope. Don't know what is normal germination time with these using baggie and heat mat.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, Chris Wilson said:

A few of my C. Radicalis yesterday before I covered them for the winter. The one in the front survived last winter so planted a couple more this year. The leaves are starting to split but they seem like pretty slow growers for me.

IMG_2825.jpg

Ohio? and in the ground?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Ohio? and in the ground?

Yes, I cover them and use christmas lights plugged into a thermostat controlled outlet for warmth. I've been overwintering plants like this for a few years and it works really well. I have a 15 foot tall Trachycarpus Fortunei that has been in the ground for 5 years and Sago palms that have been in the ground for 4 years. This winter I'm trying Sabal Causiarum and Washingtonia Robusta. I actually left a few of the Chamadorea Radicalis seedlings unprotected this winter and they somehow still have some green in them, it will be interesting to see if those ones actually survive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris Wilson said:

Yes, I cover them and use christmas lights plugged into a thermostat controlled outlet for warmth. I've been overwintering plants like this for a few years and it works really well. I have a 15 foot tall Trachycarpus Fortunei that has been in the ground for 5 years and Sago palms that have been in the ground for 4 years. This winter I'm trying Sabal Causiarum and Washingtonia Robusta. I actually left a few of the Chamadorea Radicalis seedlings unprotected this winter and they somehow still have some green in them, it will be interesting to see if those ones actually survive.

I to have many palm trees in the ground I over winter the same way, just never thought any Chamaedorea species could handle our cold.

are yours planted in sun or shade?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:

I to have many palm trees in the ground I over winter the same way, just never thought any Chamaedorea species could handle our cold.

are yours planted in sun or shade?

They get about 6-8 hours of sun. They look a little yellow though, they would probably look better with more shade.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

They get about 6-8 hours of sun. They look a little yellow though, they would probably look better with more shade.

Will maybe have to try a few in the ground here and protect them. Thanks.

I got another surprise envelope. Are these for guerilla planting in the hotel flowerbeds? :floor:

Just got the welcome to the neighborhood package from DD.

Thanks to all for this resource!

Nate

IMG_20210301_182219577.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old post but if there are a new batch? I will definitely try some! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Seeds arrived from @DoomsDave Sept 21, 2018. 

Today almost 2 years 9 months later the smaller ones are about 8” and the bigger ones close to 24”.  Starting to see some going pinnate, all are in shade.  Sample photos attached. 

0A8B50E6-4897-4E73-A78B-C5E4F4FDC3CB.jpeg

9AE15B6D-ECFC-49A1-A204-A5EEE3C7CD0A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My C. Radicalis in Ohio finally getting split leaves. The seedlings against the wall were left unprotected last winter and survived! The temp got down to the single digits a few times and the lowest temp was 7F.

73AECFEE-11BC-4449-B623-5A1E33149B62.jpeg

D0756346-F85D-4850-A39C-88F7FEDEDA46.jpeg

• Like 2