IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mo' Free Chamadorea radicalis seeds

DoomsDave

Thanks for the seeds, Dave!

Mine have been in spaghnum moss in a baggie laying on a radiator for about a 1 1/2 months now. Many of mine have developed these little yellow/white growths on them. This isn’t the best picture as this one has only one “dot”. Many are covered in them. I’m not sure if it’s a fungus or what. Any ideas? Can they be saved? D59A0B18-9E2F-4D70-AD02-6CF91A8E7388.thu

• Upvote 2

That seed in the picture is germinating. Is that sphagnum moss? It seems a very dark colour and also very wet.

If the seeds are covered in white dots as you say, then I suspect this is fungus probably due to too much moisture.

It might be worth taking the seeds out of there and putting them is some medium that's a bit drier to prevent fungal rot on the whole batch.

• Upvote 2

UK zone 8b/9a. No heavy frosts. Occasional -6c. Dull wet winters. Cool summers.

Thanks David York. I think the picture made it look more wet than it really is, but I took your advice and added in dry soil to bring the overall moisture down. 

Part of me hopes that seed is germinating, but I threw out a bunch that looked just like that one! I’m still new at growing from seed, but they didn’t look like germinating seeds that I was familiar with (mostly Sabal and Washingtonia). I’ll refrain from throwing any more out for now. 

• Upvote 1

We learn from our mistakes, but just remember that many palm seeds can take a few months to germinate and if they are kept too wet, they usually rot. If using moss, squeeze out as much moisture as you can, then sow in a bag or sealed container.

• Upvote 2

UK zone 8b/9a. No heavy frosts. Occasional -6c. Dull wet winters. Cool summers.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, i just think i saw germination from my first batch of last year! I never give up on seeds and now i danced!!!:yay:thanks again dave!

IMG_20180323_180226.jpg

• Upvote 3

So some of the plants from some time ago are now starting to make their first divided leaves. Time for some Amsterdam microclimate experimenting...

20180324_220927.thumb.jpg.8557e99a72ff85

Springtime is allmost here, I just couldn't wait. Got more to plant out throughout my garden.

• Upvote 6

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Hello Kai,

these are already big :rolleyes:, mine are just little seedlings but maybe because they have been kept inside with low light and cool temperatures.

The second bunch of seeds started to germinate... Many more little C. radicalis to come :yay:.

Thanks Dave for sending....

Eckhard

C. radicalis 2 batch.jpg

Edited by Palmensammler
  • Upvote 4

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Looking great kai! I found that they start growing at about 20c and only tollerate filtered light. (Rita from belgium)

Good Day Josh, I heard "Free radicalis seed" mentioned again. Sounds like a great offer from down California way. I'm not drooling too bad. Thank You again Sending an attachment of Address> ZenMan 1

Address.jpg

Edited by ZenMan 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/24/2018, 5:14:38, Kai said:

So some of the plants from some time ago are now starting to make their first divided leaves. Time for some Amsterdam microclimate experimenting...

Springtime is allmost here, I just couldn't wait. Got more to plant out throughout my garden.

They took 16F here this past winter with only minor spotting.

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2018, 3:48:39, BOLiK said:

Hi Dave,

Do you have any more seeds?

DA!

Send me a PM (private message) with your mailing information.

And they shall be yours . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, Laaz said:
On 3/24/2018, 2:14:38, Kai said:

They took 16F here this past winter with only minor spotting.

They're well along!

Keep the kitties and doggies away  (they'll think they're grass) and they'll grow apace.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

They're well along!

Keep the kitties and doggies away  (they'll think they're grass) and they'll grow apace.

The cats won't let themselves be controlled so I'll just have to hope for the best. My two cats are old lazy farts though and sleep 99% of the time; waaaay too busy for chewing up palms to get their hairballs going.

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day Dave, Seems you are always great on surprising. There was a packet of seeds waiting for me at the Post Office the other day. Picked them up and brought them home. Into the warm water they went, all sank which is good. Thanks again, may your days be sunny and bright. ZenMan 1

• Upvote 2

Hi Dave,

first seedlings of the second batch. It's crazy, have sown two batches the same day at identical conditions. One as on the picture, the other nothing :hmm:

5adb8936882dd_C.radicalis.thumb.jpg.15d7

Eckhard

• Upvote 2

Yours have grown pretty fast palmensammler!

When would be the best fase to split them into seperate pots?

Thanks again for the seeds, Dave! Once I stopped throwing out the germinating seeds from fears of fungus, they’ve taken off! 

9E5F0A7E-0E69-4115-B5C1-1F775D5BAD5A.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Hi Subwoofer,

the first batch was seperated when the plants where 10cm high. You need to take care for the roots but shoudn't be a problem. Mine will keep in place a little longer. Have some more to be seperated.

Eckhard

On 23-4-2018 23:14:23, Palmensammler said:

Hi Subwoofer,

the first batch was seperated when the plants where 10cm high. You need to take care for the roots but shoudn't be a problem. Mine will keep in place a little longer. Have some more to be seperated.

Eckhard

Great, i'll do that, thanks!

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Chamaedorea radicalis seeds are growing very well.

Have you a picture from the mother ?

77B56882-497F-4FFC-A24D-A49741ED2B55.jpeg

• Upvote 4

• 2 months later...

Hello dave! The seeds you had previously sent me did beautiful with practically 100% germ rate and were already a foot tall in a year! :blink: But do you still have more to give? I hate to ask for seconds but i lost all my palms and plants when my apartment recently burned down.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on some of the seeds you sent to Ohio, most of them germinated but I lost a lot of them to rot from soil that was too wet. The ones that I repotted are doing well now though. Thanks again!

IMG_5595.JPG

• Upvote 6

There's more if you want. Send a PM.

They're as fertile as way-oversexed bunny rabbits.

• Upvote 1

I had the same problem, it's because they get too much water at once i think. Now i spray them a couple of times a day untill the soil is moist, then i let them dry out. But when dry they stop growing, so they need water. Also soil must be very well draining.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2018, 8:38:21, Subwoofer said:

I had the same problem, it's because they get too much water at once i think. Now i spray them a couple of times a day untill the soil is moist, then i let them dry out. But when dry they stop growing, so they need water. Also soil must be very well draining.

Give 'em a good drink, let 'em dry a bit. Don't keep them swampy or they'll rot. They're dry-land plants "at heart" as it were.

• Upvote 1

Dave the seeds arrived today thanks!going to soak them for 24h and then in zippy

• Upvote 1

Palm enthusiast in cold climate

***USDA Hardiness Zones 7a/7b*** AHS heat zone 7***

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2018, 6:01:48, Houstoncoconut said:

Hello dave! The seeds you had previously sent me did beautiful with practically 100% germ rate and were already a foot tall in a year! :blink: But do you still have more to give? I hate to ask for seconds but i lost all my palms and plants when my apartment recently burned down.

EGAD

Send address again, and I'll send more.

Glad you're okay, the palms can be very easily replaced.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some Chamaedorea radicalis seedlings. I put the seeds in the pots around April1st of this year and placed the pots on my patio. Most of the seeds germinated and it took about 45 to 90 days. Each pot contains a few of the seedlings as I intend on planting them in clumps of a few each, but not for a couple of years when they are larger. Many thanks to DoomsDave.

I expect that that Chamaedorea radicalis will become much more popular Miami along with Sabals in the 2020s as the next sunspot minimum sets in.

radacalis.jpg.88c476f0f1998b67b66266f73b

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Lots of success and time for repotting!  Over 30 by my count.

Chaems.jpg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

Dave,

Lots of success and time for repotting!  Over 30 by my count.

Chaems.jpg

So [obscenity] glad to hear!

Anyone else?

Received seeds and am so happy and grateful!  Thanks a million, DoomsDave.  Fingers crossed for success, and looking forward to posting with updates.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 2 yrs i still have some germinating. I love these. 

Did change my medium to 50%coco coir/50% potting soil, lost alot in the beginning with 50% potting soil/50% sand. The sand stayed wet too long.

Thanks again!

IMG_20190315_125303.jpg

• Upvote 1