IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Self-cleaning palms : how far from danger?

Nakheel1412

Hi,

Among the most beautiful palms out there, many are self-cleaners : Archontophoenixes, Roystoneas, Bismarckias, Howeas, Jubaeas, Caryotas, Pritchardias, Raveneas, Chambeyronias, and the list goes on...

The thing is, when we plant these in a spot next to traffic or buildings, we need to make sure they're established where their leaves won't cause damage ; And from what I have read, depending on the species, the leaves will fall in different ways (some will hug the trunk on their way down, others will fall "deployed", etc.); One other thing to consider is obviously the fronds weight : some are very heavy, some aren't that heavy, etc.

I am currently asking myself what to do in my garden, considering that 2 of my neighbours have built stuff directly against the enclosure walls, and that I have planted (and want to plant) palms next to the house (the trunks aren't against the wall, but once the palms get super tall, the wind might blow away dead fronds that would en up falling on the roof) ;

Do you guys have some experience with such species to share ? Any advices will be warmly welcomed !

Thanks in advance !

36730711735_a484da1d9a_b.jpg
Shot in habitat, author : Ben Caledonia

Edited by Nakheel1412
  • Upvote 3

Archontophoenix fronds and bases are really lightweight when they fall. Roystonea is another case as they can weight 50 lbs. I have a vigorous Queen palm that sheds its older fronds as soon as they start to yellow and they are huge (18' long) and heavy (25-30 lbs.) so they have damage potential. Pritchardia aren't bad. My worst is a 100' tall Washingtonia that sheds once a year or two and drops 30-50 fronds all at once crushing vegetation below. One year it dropped over 70 old leaves simultaneously. What a mess!  I have groves of Archontophoenix so I'm used to picking up dried fronds regularly. They are SO light.

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Upvote 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I can attest to the weight and destructive capability of Roystoneas. I do not plan to plant anything I care about anywhere in range as the trees are way too tall for removal by anything other than gravity/wind.

They were planted by the previous owner and lovely (or will be if and when they recover from Hurricane Maria) so they will stay.

Happily they are far from the house/car, but collectively take up a fair amount of otherwise useful growing space. 

Thanks for all the useful information here.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Just now, Cindy Adair said:

I can attest to the weight and destructive capability of Roystoneas. I do not plan to plant anything I care about anywhere in range as the shed tree fronds are way too tall for removal by anything other than gravity/wind.

They were planted by the previous owner and lovely (or will be if and when they recover from Hurricane Maria) so they will stay.

Happily they are far from the house/car, but collectively take up a fair amount of otherwise useful growing space. 

Thanks for all the useful information here.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

@Cindy Adair Thanks a lot Cindy for the additionnal info, good to know that nothing fragile should be planted under Roystoneas' canopies ! :o

Btw, I was wondering : when it comes to Roystoneas' fronds, are they still perfectly green when they fall, or do they show warning signs indicating they are about to fall ?

With Roystoneas, mine are brown and leaning down noticeably before falling.

So if the trees were small, time to remove fronds before they fall. 

That is assuming no hurricane winds like in September, which took most all the fronds, green or brown!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I agree with Cindy, they start to brown and most eventually dangle until they fall.

Roystoneas do pretty good with hurricanes, because the fresh fronds snap off, making the tree less vulnerable to the wind.

Heres a picture of some in my area post-Irma:

43B4B7F3-6601-4339-9348-A05F89E77F0C.png

Edited by Rd003
  • Upvote 1