IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spear pull x 2

mdsonofthesouth

Average high in march is 55 to 57f+ average high for april is 66+. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

It will be 73f today to give you an idea of a normal april temp. Also we might dip into the upper 50s for a high and possibly scratch the high 30s for a nighttime low tomorrow but no chance of frost. Situations like the latter are more rare, but can happen. Especially during weird times like our past several months...

Found this the other day growing on my chamaerops20180428_074250.thumb.jpg.aeae983a31444a

This succor didn't pull but had severe dieback. Found some green but not much. Still has 2 decent green fronds so I'm leaving it alone20180428_074240.thumb.jpg.cad697a105eb15

• Upvote 5

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

6 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

It will be 73f today to give you an idea of a normal april temp. Also we might dip into the upper 50s for a high and possibly scratch the high 30s for a nighttime low tomorrow but no chance of frost. Situations like the latter are more rare, but can happen. Especially during weird times like our past several months...

Found this the other day growing on my chamaerops20180428_074250.thumb.jpg.aeae983a31444a

This succor didn't pull but had severe dieback. Found some green but not much. Still has 2 decent green fronds so I'm leaving it alone20180428_074240.thumb.jpg.cad697a105eb15

Is that ... an inflorescense on your cold-damaged Chamaerops humilis.!?

I know what you mean by weird temperatures. When I resided in Michigan, the temperatures would fluctuate extremely. For example, it was in the upper teens F, but two weeks later it was in the lower 60s, but then back down to the lower 30s two weeks later. This was in a February, and I still remember it because it broke a daily record for highs (at 67 degrees I believe in the middle of February [great weather for MI, I tell you]). I remember the transition in winters from solid cold winters to winters like the aforementioned in the area of MI I lived in.

The weather doesn't swing like that nearly as much (as many times throughout the year I mean) down here.

The weathers up there in MI and apparently where you live @mdsonofthesouth are both very strange and unfriendly to palms much of the time.

I wish your Chamaerops many future green spears!

Wow, it is flowering! We have one more day of cool weather here, then we will mostly be in the 80s. Palm growing time! 

SmartSelect_20180428-170621_Weather.jpg

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Wow, it is flowering! We have one more day of cool weather here, then we will mostly be in the 80s. Palm growing time! 

SmartSelect_20180428-170621_Weather.jpg

We will also be in the 80s F next week, though our lows are somewhat higher!

Yeah we've been 60s and 70s and will be 80s in 2 days. The heat and humidity is right around the corner too. Hoping its enough to bounce back my spear pulled trachycarpus. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

Is that ... an inflorescense on your cold-damaged Chamaerops humilis.!?

I know what you mean by weird temperatures. When I resided in Michigan, the temperatures would fluctuate extremely. For example, it was in the upper teens F, but two weeks later it was in the lower 60s, but then back down to the lower 30s two weeks later. This was in a February, and I still remember it because it broke a daily record for highs (at 67 degrees I believe in the middle of February [great weather for MI, I tell you]). I remember the transition in winters from solid cold winters to winters like the aforementioned in the area of MI I lived in.

The weather doesn't swing like that nearly as much (as many times throughout the year I mean) down here.

The weathers up there in MI and apparently where you live @mdsonofthesouth are both very strange and unfriendly to palms much of the time.

I wish your Chamaerops many future green spears!

Yeah weather is weird here in the winter. 20s one day 80s the next...

• Upvote 1

Now after today here every single day I can see on the forecast is at least 82 or higher. Finally, some nice temperatures! Our winter here is crazy as well. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

5 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Now after today here every single day I can see on the forecast is at least 82 or higher. Finally, some nice temperatures! Our winter here is crazy as well. 

Yeah I'm pretty sure yall are subject to the same craziness we had and 80s are here for us as well!

91 Here today Lakehurst nj.May get to 95 tommorow.

Edited by Nj Palms

17 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

91 today. 

Yeah we got to just under 90 and will likely see it tomorrow. But the really nice thing is nothing bellow 55 60 for night time lows. Gave all the trees another fish and kelp shot, sprayed the yard with herbacide and bought 2 new palms.

20180502_152549.thumb.jpg.542bc49b0e4641

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah we got to just under 90 and will likely see it tomorrow. But the really nice thing is nothing bellow 55 60 for night time lows. Gave all the trees another fish and kelp shot, sprayed the yard with herbacide and bought 2 new palms.

20180502_152549.thumb.jpg.542bc49b0e4641

It has been wonderful palm growing weather lately. Very nice new palms. Where did you find the Butia?

3 hours ago, Ninja88 said:

It has been wonderful palm growing weather lately. Very nice new palms. Where did you find the Butia?

Yeah we actually have had nice weather for a while save for a few days and now are seeing 90s! I got both of them from a certain big box store thats literally everywhere. Plan on putting them in the best microclimate Im about to have. 

30 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah we actually have had nice weather for a while save for a few days and now are seeing 90s! I got both of them from a certain big box store thats literally everywhere. Plan on putting them in the best microclimate Im about to have. 

That is great. I haven't seen any palms yet at the big box type stores so I bought two from a local grower. You also got a nice trachy! I bought the same two species as you and planted them late last month. I planted them on the south side of my house in a nice microclimate. They're loving the heat and already grew almost 2 inches since planting. I'm sure yours should do well using the same winter protection you had last year. 

My hope is we have a few normal winters and with the better placement Ill be better off. winter before last I only had to protect my palms for 4 or 5 days due to being freshly planted. Only reason I went crazy this last winter was extremely poor placement and we had one of the harshest winters. The new area Im going to do my future plantation is far better. Have read that butia can be a 7B palm when mature and I already know I can keep chamaerops humilis alive here and hell even get them to seed! I haven't seen any trachycarpus yet at the places around here, but feel hopeful the next couple of weeks they will start popping up. Last year I got my palms in mid to late march so this feels weird being delayed, but we did have a freak start to 2018.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

My hope is we have a few normal winters and with the better placement Ill be better off. winter before last I only had to protect my palms for 4 or 5 days due to being freshly planted. Only reason I went crazy this last winter was extremely poor placement and we had one of the harshest winters. The new area Im going to do my future plantation is far better. Have read that butia can be a 7B palm when mature and I already know I can keep chamaerops humilis alive here and hell even get them to seed! I haven't seen any trachycarpus yet at the places around here, but feel hopeful the next couple of weeks they will start popping up. Last year I got my palms in mid to late march so this feels weird being delayed, but we did have a freak start to 2018.

Butia are not 7b palm. Whomever told you that was very wrong.  Warm 8a, yes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I guess we shall see lol. Getting prime placement so it will have the best chance.

18 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

It seems like every nursery has a different minimum tempature that butia's can withstand. 

I've seen a lot of Butia's in the Charlotte suburbs which are still classified as 7b. They are relatively common in the upcountry SC region which was considered a 7b until the updated 2012 USDA hardiness zone map. The area is still not a warm 8a though (10-12 degrees minimum). There are many mature ones around here that must have survived some frigid temperatures since the 1980's. Maybe some can withstand high 7b tempatures. 

On 5/3/2018, 10:48:51, mdsonofthesouth said:

That is great. I haven't seen any palms yet at the big box type stores so I bought two from a local grower. You also got a nice trachy! I bought the same two as you and planted them last week. I also planted them on the south side of my house in a nice microclimate. They're loving the heat and already grew almost 2 inches since planting.

Haven't seen any trachycarpus yet sadly, but will snag whatever ones I find. Wish I could plant now but wife decided it was an addition year so I'm waiting for my microclimate to be built lol! Also might be seeing something going on with some of the trachycarpus i have that pulled, but don't want to speak too soon.

Most of our large 3-6' CT butia survived 8F this year, and will be fine but they can't take it year after year. (We are a 8A ~13.7F on the interactive USDA site)  Also 10-12F will kill a 1-25g butia in the ground easily (We replaced a LOT of dead ones last spring) when accompanied with any precipitation at all.

A small butia cannot be planted in zone 7B and grow to maturity.

52 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Most of our large 3-6' CT butia survived 8F this year, and will be fine but they can't take it year after year. (We are a 8A ~13.7F on the interactive USDA site)  Also 10-12F will kill a 1-25g butia in the ground easily (We replaced a LOT of dead ones last spring) when accompanied with any precipitation at all.

A small butia cannot be planted in zone 7B and grow to maturity.

Well I will see what I can do with it. Its not like 26g+ butias are easy to come by.

• Upvote 1

I just bought a Butia that I will protect in the winter, I'm not risking anything with this one, I have others for experimenting. I got it at Lowes. 

20180505_151105.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

Thats awesome! Mine has a really thick trunk for its size. Hopeful with a canopy, good placement and protection on the freak weather.

8 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Thats awesome! Mine has a really thick trunk for its size. Hopeful with a canopy, good placement and protection on the freak weather.

I had a bunch out in the open unprotected this winter, a lot died but some survived. It is insane how much of a difference a quick wrap of burlap can make. It saved so many of my palms that are out of their zones here in the winters. 

PalmTreeDude

33 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I had a bunch out in the open unprotected this winter, a lot died but some survived. It is insane how much of a difference a quick wrap of burlap can make. It saved so many of my palms that are out of their zones here in the winters. 

I have also had the result of having trachycarpus that were protected better than my livistona and chamaerops see more damage than the less hardy more exposed palms. Last winter I was lucky in that I only protected a handful of times when I really didn't need to, but it spoiled me. This winter I learned some things and will continue to adapt and have shifted to better placement practices over frontal aesthetics. Essentially accepting the fact that we are destined for bad years here and there and to plan for them.

• Upvote 1

Spear pulled trachycarpus and cerifera are both pushing out the rot with new spears! So exciting that they all might come back!

20180506_132652.thumb.jpg.e49f9e4297b86620180506_132619.thumb.jpg.e7f76622845718

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not but these all were gaping holes. Lots of peroxide, sea kelp and fish fertilizer later and they are growing!

20180506_132607.thumb.jpg.e526b0a5f13fb420180506_132640.thumb.jpg.1fe70b48969ac6

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/18/2017, 6:53:09, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Time to stop with the peroxide and don't pour anymore in there.  Now you have a spearless hole with peroxide that has reducted into pure water which will freeze.  Let it dry out until spring.

So at that size would you take a turkey baster to the hole to remove the water?

Mdsonofthesouth that's a nice sight! Keep the faith and love your new palms.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

2 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

So at that size would you take a turkey baster to the hole to remove the water?

Mdsonofthesouth that's a nice sight! Keep the faith and love your new palms.

Thanks and yeah its a glorious sight to see all palms come back and I think even the livistona chinensis are growing from the original trunks again but I dont want to speak too soon! Sadly the sabal minor that I planted with a needle died from what looks like shock. Sad as it got the exact same treatment and plantation that all the other palms got that are thriving. Sad as hell as it was declining almost immediately while the needle acclimated and started growing and has even started another spear!

20180506_132700.thumb.jpg.1d356a24c9f9b9

My chamaerops humilis that went to seed got ransacked by something and the seeds dont look as good, but the good part is the spear is growing like mad now!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates. Growth has been in full swing for a while and all the trachycarpus that pulled have since put put 3 fronds each, one that didn't pull got sick and is under intensive care, but I think with the treatment Ill give it should bounce back nicely. 

My cerifera seeds have gotten bigger and now I have 2 inflorescence that get bigger by the day til an animal finds out lol. Also the blue growth os still happening (while the silver is cool I prefer blue). Should be a good addition next to my green chamaerops.

Livistona chinensis trunks that saw nearly full brunt of this winter are pushing out good growth and even seem to have new babys. Should be interesting to see how they leaf out. If its too slow Ill move it to a better spot and leave it alone for good. But still interesting that the trunks came back after seeing single digits and lots of well bellow freezing.

My yucca that got destroyed in the wind storm had 2 babys one that was very successful but shadowed by the parent, and another one that got killed as it sprouted right after granular fertilizer and burned. The big baby is doing well and the one that I thought wass gone is coming back! Also found another succor! Love naturalized plants!20180526_180644.thumb.jpg.a9fbdcef4b4808

• Upvote 1

Here is the original trunk that spear pulled this winter and its coming back after a minor cleanup.

20180526_180707.thumb.jpg.f97254ebc9aff4

Here is the baby that is coming back on my yucca gloriosa var lone star. These are naturalized to our area and with any care they will go crazy!

20180526_180755.thumb.jpg.c4c14b3ecc8df0

• Upvote 1

Finally here is my livistona clump. Every last trunk is pushing out growth, albeit slow as molasses. I am hoping my new spoon feeding and watering program will speed them up a bit. Who knows.20180526_180657.thumb.jpg.fa071dfede9f95

• Upvote 1