IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newbie help

Gyoung62

Hi all, 

First post after looking for a place to get some palm tree information. I just moved into a house in Redding California (climate very hot summers - 100+ very often, cold/wet winters). We bought a house with a beautiful palm tree. After moving in and becoming more familiar, we identified that the base of the tree seems highly exposed with roots showing. See pictures. The tree appears healthy. My concern is whether or not this is an issue and whether or not I should build the soil level up to at least covering the roots.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!20171123_110526.thumb.jpg.032079a8ab93b5

20171123_110508.jpg

• Upvote 3

I don't think it will make much difference what you decide to do. Your Canary Island date palm looks very healthy and is obviously thriving in it's current position.

Regards Neil

To me it looks like a case of aggressive rooting due to sprinklers spraying the trunk with water on a constant basis, similar to a root boss, http://eunops.org/content/glossary-palm-terms#R . Also, it looks like there is a moisture line on the retaining wall.  Is It possible that dirt was removed prior to your move in?  It does look a little bit to me like somebody dug out around the palm.  I am no expert on CIDPs but if it were me, I might back fill with a highly organic and well draining potting mix maybe 6" to 1", then of course plant more palms...

Perhaps someone else could also confirm this.

• Upvote 2

Dont worry. I live in a very rainy city with lots of this palms. All af them looks like your palm and they are perfect.

First of all, welcome to Palmtalk !!  :winkie:

Your palm is a nice example of Phoenix canariensis, also know as 'Canary Island date palm' or sometimes just the shorthand, 'canary'.  It will not make edible dates, that is a sibling species Phoenix dactylifera.  Also, in this genus each palm is solely one gender, so both would be needed for pollination and dates.

I would build up the soil around the lower part of the exposed roots (the root boss); not all the way, just a little around the smaller diameter near the ground.  Not important, as others have mentioned, mostly just a matter of esthetics.

Here is a link where you can learn more about your palm. http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Phoenix_canariensis

Also, there are several other attractive small palms that would work well in your microclimate.

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

On 12/15/2017, 8:25:46, Gyoung62 said:

Hi all, 

we identified that the base of the tree seems highly exposed with roots showing. See pictures. The tree appears healthy. My concern is whether or not this is an issue and whether or not I should build the soil level up to at least covering the roots.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

20171123_110508.jpg

Dear Gary,

Very nice looking CIDP.Even i feel that its roots must be covered with coarse grade washed river sand.i.e you must cover its roots,in the above still you can see your phoenix trunk has diamond cut design below that the root ball area starts.So the soil must be filled from ground level to 2to3inches below that diamond design trunk area.

After seeing so many pictures of Cidp both grown in the wild and in house garden.they all have their roots covered in soil.You would have seen even in the palmpedia link given by our member.

What i feel is that palm was not grown in that property,but they have bought grown up specimen of that palm and planted it in your property near the pool to give a fine tropical look.So what the palm transplanters did was they miss Judged the palm root ball and they have not sufficiently dug the pit for that palm.So it did not sit fully in that pit.What they have done is,have covered the root ball with few bags of sand and left the scene.In course of time due to raining and watering this palm,eventually all the loose soil covered leveled with original ground soil.

And if that palm was raised in that garden,there would be a lawn even around this palm area..So you can consult a decorator/civil engineer to raise the bed with supporting mini wall and raise the entire area or just a circular cement structure around the palm with giving enough space for new roots to grown,fill that raised bed with coarse grade washed river sand and top soil dressing with cactus soil mix etc.

Something must be done to prevent new roots getting exposed to sunlight.

Here;s a link on CIDP palm collection,you can closely watch the roots in each palm :

Any pictures on CIDP

Love,

Kris.

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Great info. I really appreciate the responses!

If there are suggestions on other types of smaller palms for this microclimate, that would be appreciated as well.

Dear Gary,

Here is a link for you where you can see many mature palm specimens and some may be used in your garden,kindly visit the link given below :

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Category:PALM_GENERA

And if you are willing to grow them from seeds and have both patience and time then visit this link,there they have germination tips for each variety..

http://rarepalmseeds.com/small.shtml

And even our members do sell palms and fresh palm seeds for which kindly visit the link given below :

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/forum/28-palm-exchange/

And if you show us around your garden through a video,we can know how much space is there for additional palms,If you have only spare space near that Jamboo(Cidp) Then only dwarf palms and some flowering shrubs with lawn grass covering the left over patch will look great.

And in california there are many members like  Josh-O have their nursery in Cal. MattyB is another member who grows many palms in his garden.Talk to them they will guide you as to what is suitable for your garden.

My suggestion will be add silver or blue coloured palms having medium trunk or dwarf varieties.Since none of the palms will be able to co exist under the shade of that big CIDP.

And is your canary palm a male ? If so my doubt that it was transplanted one not a palm grown in that garden.SInce most who plant these palms near the pool,prefer to have male phoenix palms as they do not drop seeds everywhere messing the pool water.

Keep us updated with your garden work.

Love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif