IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir & Kai are a very bad influence.

Laaz

Be sure they're well covered by overhead canopy, and we'll root for ya.

Yeah, those guys are bad news, but that's why we love them!

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Good luck, I haven’t been able to keep one alive long enough to plant it. 3 of 3 slowly declined and died.  Keep us updated, if yours do well I may try again, looks like a promising zone 9 palm. 

Yeah, these Hoehnei seem to take quite a bit of cold without issue. My original plant has been in the ground about a year & a half & doing great. It is planted under a 25 ft ruby red grapefruit & washingtonia. It saw 25F last winter without any issues.

• Upvote 1

Wow, I was purely guessing 25F would be its max low, maybe it can take colder.  Perhaps it is solid 9a? I think the summer heat messed with mine more that the cold on my covered patio. 

Just now, topwater said:

Wow, I was purely guessing 25F would be its max low, maybe it can take colder.  Perhaps it is solid 9a? I think the summer heat messed with mine worse than the cold did on my covered patio.  Mine were two hoenhei and one wedellianum. 

9 minutes ago, topwater said:

Wow, I was purely guessing 25F would be its max low, maybe it can take colder.  Perhaps it is solid 9a? I think the summer heat messed with mine more that the cold on my covered patio. 

These melt in our sun and have to be in mostly full shade to look halfway decent. The hoehnei take the heat and humidity a little better but size makes a big difference with both species. Both need well draining soil and regular irrigation is a must. 

Hoehnei is several degrees more cold hardy. I lost a few wedd of various sizes last year in the cold frame but zero hoehnei.

On 12/14/2017, 10:07:44, Laaz said:

10 Lyto's will be going in the ground this spring...

20171214_105949.jpg

The more I look the more I like, well grown Laaz :greenthumb:

I may have to try Lytos one more time. 

On 15/12/2017, 03:13:16, Laaz said:

Yeah, these Hoehnei seem to take quite a bit of cold without issue. My original plant has been in the ground about a year & a half & doing great. It is planted under a 25 ft ruby red grapefruit & washingtonia. It saw 25F last winter without any issues.

that's a hardy grapefruit lol mine looks like s^##t when we go below 28,but the palms love him.

Just now, Laaz said:

? Greapefruit are 8b hardy. Mine produces hundreds of fruit every year & has never had cold damage.

I am in 9a and it looks bad after most winters,remember you have warm days in winter our highs are in the upper 50's.

Just now, Laaz said:

I'm in 9a as well. I have about 40 citrus in the yard & they never have issues.

In my yard the only citrus that grow without problems are meyer lemons,kumquats and their hybrids and mandarins.Oranges,true lemons and grapefruits have major problems every 5-6 years.You are probably closer to being 9b than 9a.

• 4 months later...