IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another winter for my coconut

Stelios

Here is an update of my coconut here in Cyprus. Even though the weather so far has been mild and dry, I made this construction to prepare the coconut for the winter and to protect at the same time some small palms in the pots in the same place. Every year I try to push the limits of this palm by protecting it less and less. Is getting bigger and is becoming more difficult to protect it. Last year the wind destroyed parts of the covering while we were on holidays in Miami. It was exposed to the cold but it was not really affected. This winter I wanted to just let it be, but my wife loves this palm and she asked me to protect it. I know if it will grow for a few more years it will be too big to protect it but for me this is mostly an experiment. Do I think it will ever adapt totally in our climate? I believe is almost impossible. Only in very few special Mediterranean microclimates like there are in South California. Like many mentioned here for the coconut look in our climate is better to try Beccariophoenix. I already feel lucky enough to be able to grow some tropical looking palms and plants so no complaints. If I was living in a tropical climate the coconut wouldn't be on the top of my list. Maybe some Attalea Crassispatha or Lemurophoenix halleuxii and Cyrtostachys renta.

20171212_164158.jpg

20171212_164119.jpg

20171212_164106.jpg

20171212_164024.jpg

• Upvote 6

Looks like it is very healthy!  Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

46 minutes ago, Stelios said:

Here is an update of my coconut here in Cyprus. Even though the weather so far has been mild and dry, I made this construction to prepare the coconut for the winter and to protect at the same time some small palms in the pots in the same place. Every year I try to push the limits of this palm by protecting it less and less. Is getting bigger and is becoming more difficult to protect it. Last year the wind destroyed parts of the covering while we were on holidays in Miami. It was exposed to the cold but it was not really affected. This winter I wanted to just let it be, but my wife loves this palm and she asked me to protect it. I know if it will grow for a few more years it will be too big to protect it but for me this is mostly an experiment. Do I think it will ever adapt totally in our climate? I believe is almost impossible. Only in very few special Mediterranean microclimates like there are in South California. Like many mentioned here for the coconut look in our climate is better to try Beccariophoenix. I already feel lucky enough to be able to grow some tropical looking palms and plants so no complaints. If I was living in a tropical climate the coconut wouldn't be on the top of my list. Maybe some Attalea Crassispatha or Lemurophoenix halleuxii and Cyrtostachys renta.

20171212_164158.jpg

20171212_164119.jpg

20171212_164106.jpg

20171212_164024.jpg

yes,I knew it.Do not lose hope that easily though,cyprus is 10b and newport is 10a,also malibu is 10b but lacks heat even in the summer.Cyprus does not so it looks like a great place to grow these guys in the Mediterranean.Just a tip,get  big water barrels 50 litre+ and put them around the coco,they will emit heat when it gets cold.I manage to grow queens and parajubaeas here like that(actually not me,my neighbours)and we are in zone 9a(north coastal Croatia).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Looks like it is very healthy!  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. It even looks a bit better in person.

4 hours ago, CroToni said:

yes,I knew it.Do not lose hope that easily though,cyprus is 10b and newport is 10a,also malibu is 10b but lacks heat even in the summer.Cyprus does not so it looks like a great place to grow these guys in the Mediterranean.Just a tip,get  big water barrels 50 litre+ and put them around the coco,they will emit heat when it gets cold.I manage to grow queens and parajubaeas here like that(actually not me,my neighbours)and we are in zone 9a(north coastal Croatia).

That's one of the tricks you could do with the barrels of water that could help. I have a swimming pool in my yard but is about 10 meters away so I don't think it  makes any difference. There is also another thing somebody could try like I did the 1st winter that I planted this palm in the ground. In the night before going to bed I was cleaning the fireplace placing the coal which was still hot in a couple of old metallic pots and then put it on the ground. The soil which is planted is almost pure sand and this was giving extra heat in the cold nights. If you want to be sure that the roots will not be burned, put some extra layer of sand on the ground. I don't do this any more and just trying to push the limits. I also didn't use my fireplace for 3 years.

Like I said if all this things is too much trouble a nice Ravenea rivularis like this is also a beautiful palm.

20171211_155926.jpg

13 minutes ago, Stelios said:

That's one of the tricks you could do with the barrels of water that could help. I have a swimming pool in my yard but is about 10 meters away so I don't think it  makes any difference. There is also another thing somebody could try like I did the 1st winter that I planted this palm in the ground. In the night before going to bed I was cleaning the fireplace placing the coal which was still hot in a couple of old metallic pots and then put it on the ground. The soil which is planted is almost pure sand and this was giving extra heat in the cold nights. If you want to be sure that the roots will not be burned, put some extra layer of sand on the ground. I don't do this any more and just trying to push the limits. I also didn't use my fireplace for 3 years.

Like I said if all this things is too much trouble a nice Ravenea rivularis like this is also a beautiful palm.

20171211_155926.jpg

Coal whould work too,and yeah I have a pool too, but in my opinion barrels placed near the trunk are much more effective.Also Raveneas are beautiful,but cocos are cocos.

Hello Stelios, thanks for the update! Could you perhaps try Walt's method (with cables) to keep the palm happy during coldest days. Don't say such things about cocos they are the king of palms:), though I would also try some other palms like the ones you mentioned.

4 minutes ago, Cluster said:

Hello Stelios, thanks for the update! Could you perhaps try Walt's method (with cables) to keep the palm happy during coldest days. Don't say such things about cocos they are the king of palms:), though I would also try some other palms like the ones you mentioned.

I love coconut palms but now I love other palms too. I agree that they are the king of palms but I will not keep it if in the future looks too sad and ugly. I will see how patient I will be in the next winters and try more extreme measures. I still learn a lot from PT. We'll see. I wish I had the climate of Madeira.