IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Guihaia argyrata - a most uncommon fan palm

PalmatierMeg

A few days ago Christian Faulkner dropped by to see how our gardens were faring after Hurricane Irma. We were walking through my Caribbean Garden when he saw my Guihaia argyrata and asked if he could record it for his palm blog sometime in the future. I said of course and took my first close look at this palm for the first time in forever. It's been in the ground since before the Caribbean Garden was even a dream, so I can hardly call it an invader. This is one slow growing palm and, over the years, I wasn't sure it was going to make it. I got it early on as a palm acquisition. This species is hard to find and few people have even heard of them. It comes from southern China and northern Vietnam where it grows on limestone cliffs and is called the "Silver-backed Vietnamese Fan Palm" and "Chinese Needle Palm." Its resemblance to the American needle palm is uncanny. It supposedly clumps but mine hasn't yet. Trunks reach 3' tall, clumps up to 6' wide. Dark green leaves are deeply cut and backed with silver. It is a gorgeous little thing, but, unfortunately, dioecious so my little palm will not produce viable seeds. As it has never flowered I don't know its sex. It is remarkably cold hardy: zones 8b to 11. Too bad it is so incredibly slow growing. But if you stumble across one, scarf it up. You won't be sorry

Guihaia argyrata

5a303acc5e7c8_Guihaiaargyrata0112-11-17.5a303ad77bdf2_Guihaiaargyrata0212-11-17.5a303ae2e9917_Guihaiaargyrata0312-11-17.5a303af107810_Guihaiaargyrata0412-11-17.5a303afdc7eef_Guihaiaargyrata0512-11-17.

• Upvote 6

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Guihaia argyrata Cont'd

5a303be3e1fb2_Guihaiaargyrata0612-11-17.5a303bec31b0a_Guihaiaargyrata0712-11-17.5a303bf86fe21_Guihaiaargyrata0812-11-17.5a303c036db50_Guihaiaargyrata0912-11-17.

• Upvote 6

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

6 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

... This is one slow growing palm and, over the years, I wasn't sure it was going to make it. I got it early on as a palm acquisition. This species is hard to find and few people have even heard of them. It comes from southern China and northern Vietnam where it grows on limestone cliffs and is called the "Silver-backed Vietnamese Fan Palm" and "Chinese Needle Palm." Its resemblance to the American needle palm is uncanny. It supposedly clumps but mine hasn't yet. Trunks reach 3' tall, clumps up to 6' wide. Dark green leaves are deeply cut and backed with silver. It is a gorgeous little thing, but, unfortunately, dioecious so my little palm will not produce viable seeds. As it has never flowered I don't know its sex. It is remarkably cold hardy: zones 8b to 11. Too bad it is so incredibly slow growing. But if you stumble across one, scarf it up. You won't be sorry

Guihaia argyrata

It is a cool little palm that does its own thing, for a very long time. It seems to have disappeared from sales, as I haven't seen any but one or two large specimens. I do meet the occasional collector or two looking for it, mainly to collect the genus more than either species. It is popular among fan palm, Rhapis, Licuala, and Maxburretia enthusiasts. After 16+/- years, mine has not flowered either, but it has been container grown. I would have planted it, but has been picky when it comes to light exposure and seems to enjoy being containerized. It might have two or three suckers, minus its first one I accidentally cut off while weeding (didn't expect it to be there). I have seen larger ones in S. Florida private collections, but I do not remember if they were mature.

Ryan

South Florida

Josh picked one up from Axel that is huge. I hope it fared ok in the transplanting?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!