IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hawaiian food?

John in Andalucia

On Wednesday our CEO is taking us for a meal to celebrate us hitting a million last year. We're dining out locally, in Central London, close to the art gallery where I work. The choice of venue is called, 'Black Roe' and it's Hawaiian! I'm excited, to say the least. Would anyone care to recommend a dish from the menu for me, as a first timer to Hawaiian cuisine? The menu sounds fantastic: https://www.blackroe.com/ourmenus

• Upvote 2

That is a menu that would challenge and win almost any 5 Star resort's dinning room menu contest over here. You can't go wrong with any those "grinds." After much thought, here is what I would order - but I could order a different dinner off that menu for 5 nights in a row and be happy.

THE “BLACK ROE” AHI & YELLOWTAIL POKE - any poke will only be as good as the fish is - has to be super fresh. And this looks like the "house special"

STEAMED NISHIKI RICE - because everything always comes with rice or mac salad.

AHI TUNA TATAKI - my favorite "raw" fish - I order this and yellowtail tataki whenever available - usually a double order. In fact I could have a triple or quadruple order plus rice and scratch everything else for my dinner.

WHOLE LOBSTER “MAC ‘N’ CHEESE” - don't know about this one. But I'm not paying, and I'm not particularly a lobster lover. And it's not really Hawaiian. But I know I would never see it offered again - because I never have so far.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Darold :lol:

Thanks Dean. I may just follow your 'pallet' and sneak a few foodie shots to share. It does look good, doesn't it?

Well, the food exceeded my expectations. It was really amazing! If you're hungry, look away now :lol:

THE “BLACK ROE” AHI & YELLOWTAIL POKE - spicy yuzu salsa

xHC9YgnC0urliAzGOvtvoW0GNEo2QYFyhkbm7Vpt

Not sure.. can't pin this one down from the menu.

KD5e3Fw-PyHbvxENB8qXll6-W8E6HUjIU8fhErdR

ASPARAGUS & CAVOLO NERO TEMPURA - coriander salsa, truffle aioli

DVIXz7bZv7T1b43fTel9hNYDImDGwmrn8OFFG2g8

CAJUN STYLE BLACKENED SEABASS - pineapple salsa

EtQKI_WJ51Ta1SnqO2yAxzeGmggVB68-foKtkBpz

SESAME TOFU - pickle daikon, pineapple

DgFRWcDQWLaTIeLMM_EOnsVGJMz7ICTfHunnn5Zb

KALUA PORK BELLY - mirto puree, apple salsa

yTh1y_iKho2GjYxv0TB-T5zscoSq0ZEGA4nHZV7C

BBQ PEPPER CHICKEN

avocado salsa, chipotle miso

9yCOOM1Q7-ycL1vet-hDdrKI-A9xr31Zr13NDsQU

Glad I'm full already... but I can't see any pix?

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry, Bill. Looks like I linked the images from my Google account when I was signed in. Let me try and fix it.

Foaming at the mouth, and I've just eaten . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Did anyone go for the grilled octopus aioli?  That would have been one of my selections!  How nice of your CEO to entertain you this way.

I got an email from my CEO for my 35th anniversary at the firm. :lol:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Did anyone go for the grilled octopus aioli?  That would have been one of my selections!  How nice of your CEO to entertain you this way.

No they didn't, Kim. I was always a fan of char-grilled 'pulpo' in Spain though.

Your CEO sounds like a real charmer. :lol:

Okay, photos are a-comin'..

THE “BLACK ROE” AHI & YELLOWTAIL POKE - spicy yuzu salsa

20171213_195129.thumb.jpg.d1def5b69399d5

Not sure.. can't pin this one down from the menu.

20171213_200525.thumb.jpg.92596e4465fcc0

ASPARAGUS & CAVOLO NERO TEMPURA - coriander salsa, truffle aioli

20171213_201352.thumb.jpg.b4c79d122cac80

CAJUN STYLE BLACKENED SEABASS - pineapple salsa

20171213_205204.thumb.jpg.abdf9f56bf281d

SESAME TOFU - pickle daikon, pineapple

20171213_205211.thumb.jpg.b9bf8707c46175

KALUA PORK BELLY - mirto puree, apple salsa

20171213_210235.thumb.jpg.e54d6115a160b3

BBQ PEPPER CHICKEN - avocado salsa, chipotle miso

20171213_211237.thumb.jpg.4df61c9b4b12b2

Ice cream!

20171213_222652.thumb.jpg.62e8d2fc78fd7a

Edited by John in Andalucia
photos added
  • Upvote 1

Could photo 2 be the beef tataki?  Wow, now I'm hungry.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 12/19/2017, 12:00:33, Kim said:

My past (retired) owner recently rewarded the few of us that have been at work for 30+ years and one more at 22+ with basically a big enough gift to make it to several biennials! :bemused:

John, that food all looked delicious!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Congrats on hitting a million! Is that profit or sales or market cap or ???

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

13 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Congrats on hitting a million! Is that profit or sales or market cap or ???

That's sales. The company I work for has 36 galleries throughout the UK. I'm not directly involved in sales, as my position is gallery technician for the London group of four galleries, but I'm based at the gallery that hit this figure. I mainly install artworks in client's homes and I'm getting busier. Up 143% on 2016!

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

It looks fantastic; I hope the chef suited the menu for your choice because I think you all must be pleased with it. I have a friend who works as a chief for his own company, but they have catered for different events, parties, and stuff like that. He once told me how he makes the menu, and it's fantastic how they think about every guest and how to suit their food altogether. I also wanted to do something like that, I mean doing the main dish and some other side dishes, with a bit of help from eatdelights.com, but that's a secret!))

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have never eaten Hawaiian food, but when I fly to London for work, I will definitely go to this restaurant that you recommended to me. However, when I'm in Europe, I immediately fly to Germany to eat there at my favorite restaurant -- The RIWA Restaurant, so if someone lives in Germany, I think they know this place, it's so cool that I always go to it a couple of times when I'm in Germany. And the beer here is great, like in all German bars, haha. But your post intrigued me, and now I also want to try Hawaiian food!

Edited by YourWarning