Patrick

Livistona decora seeds

Patrick

Hello Palmtalkers,

Keith got me thinking with his post...

I Have a L. decora that has fruited and the seeds are ripe. This is the first year it has fruited and it's very exciting. The fruits are just starting to fall off the tree. I was curious if anyone wanted some? I have many.

Send me a PM and leave a note here as well. I will cut the seeds down in a few days and dole them out. If you want to send a buck or two for postage, cool- but let me get them mailed out first, I have Paypal. If you don't want to send a buck or two no worries. Thanks.

• Upvote 3

Patrick

Thanks bukezi.

I responded, just send me your address and I can get them out heading your way

Fusca

Congrats Patrick!

I just germinated one this past year and it's growing pretty fast.  How how old is your tree and how tall now that it's fruiting?  I've seen L. chinensis fruit fairly young.  I just purchased a 25-gal L. chinensis yesterday and still debating on whether to plant now or wait another 2 months.  We've only seen 30º F so far (with snow!), but it's not winter officially yet...

Jon

Turtlesteve

Sent a PM

Probably a long shot (8a) but worth a try, there are a few mature W. Robusta and some Phoenix here that seem to defy the odds.

Steve

Patrick
19 hours ago, Fusca said:

Congrats Patrick!

I just germinated one this past year and it's growing pretty fast.  How how old is your tree and how tall now that it's fruiting?  I've seen L. chinensis fruit fairly young.  I just purchased a 25-gal L. chinensis yesterday and still debating on whether to plant now or wait another 2 months.  We've only seen 30º F so far (with snow!), but it's not winter officially yet...

Jon

Hi Jon, thanks!

My tree is probably 12 years old from a 15 gallon size. I think it would be taller if it wasn't for the big arch I wound up at the base of the trunk- it looks coconutty. It's about 15'-18' up to the seeds. It's tall enough tht I'm not going to stand on top of my 8' ladder to get them. I'll have to use a pole saw.

It was a good year for my 2 Livistonia decoras. They both decided to start shedding their boots so I now have clean trunks; and this crop of seeds is icing on the cake.

It's a good crop too....

• Upvote 1

Patrick

I pulled down two bunches (sorry, can't think of the scientific name) today. I've attached some pictures. I still have 4 or 5 bunches of seeds still up on the tree. I hope these babies are successful for all who try them! I've included some pictures of Mama today, too. Yes, that arcing trunk is for real- very Cocos reminiscent.

20171212_163926_resized.jpg.e643b21b9f60

20171212_163911_resized.jpg.f6dbc9537f1c20171212_164014_resized.jpg.44f69b36604b20171212_164014_resized.jpg.44f69b36604b

20171212_163944_resized.jpg

• Upvote 3

Patrick

WHAT!!?? No Australian takers? Lol j/k guys you are all probably thinking 'burn them!!!'

I could send some Washingtonia seeds if you really want! They'll probably sprout and trunk on the trip over...

Chris Chance

Patrick the mom looks awesome. Gotta love that lean! Really gives it a nice tropical look. 

Fusca

Looks really good - I'm sure you're liking it better with the smooth trunk.  I see you've got a good helper there too!  :)  I hope mine looks that good in 15 years.  Maybe I should get a few seeds myself as back-ups...

Mostapha

Seeds arrived today. Thank you

Patrick

Great news about the arrival! 

Overseas people I will get yours out in the next couple days, there is a customs declaration form I have to fill out, and I guess today they just switched to a new form. Soon...

Cikas

PM sent

Phoenikakias
21 hours ago, Patrick said:

Great news about the arrival! 

Overseas people I will get yours out in the next couple days, there is a customs declaration form I have to fill out, and I guess today they just switched to a new form. Soon...

No, no no, this is not the proper way (note please that I have used the term proper and not right). No custom declaration with the real content of the envelopes. Just use small letter envelops (maybe they pass through without formalities like letters) or declare sample beads. Fortunately many palm seeds are round shaped.

• Upvote 1

Patrick

I will have to repack then- no worries. Thanks for the info.

CroToni

Sent a PM,beautiful tree.

ZenMan 1

• I am still interested in the free Livistona decora seeds also. Have any available? PM sent a few days ago.