IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing Bismarckia in pots

xerophyte_nyc

I wonder how long a Bismarckia can be kept in a pot, indoors for the winter, with an occasional root pruning. I'm willing to try, by letting one get big enough to fit about a 25-gal container.

Call me crazy, but someone's got to make an attempt and see what happens.  That lunatic would be me, of course.

Long Island, NY

Zone 7A

silk palm trees grow well all year in my zone

:P

Cutting a bizzy's roots is like execution, it will bring death very quickly.

I don't see why you can't grow it in pots, just leave the roots alone

• Like 2

Hi xerophyte_nyc, I've had mine in a pot for about a year and a half now - going from a 15G to what probably is a 25G. It's like a tub. it's big.  

It seemed not to do much the whole time I've had it. Now it's opened up two beautiful fronds in the last three weeks, and you can see where the spear joins the trunk and all the material around there looks fresh so it's on a sudden growing spurt. It seems real happy :)  

I've intended to plant it a number of times. but now I'm determined to save my larger, better palms for when the front yard gets redone - that might not be until next spring.

Here is the Bismarckia with two new leaves opened. and that spear has since opened  :P

100_3686.jpg

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Dear Friends  :)

i have germinated a few bismarkia for my garden & research purposes...

i am going to grow some indoor(Filtered shade area) some in roof top terrace and some in barrels.and as their roots come out of the pots or barrels iam going to trim them repeteadly to see what happens to the main plam.and once the roots fill and become visible in the top soil area may be then i will try changing to big pot.and i have grwon this beauty in sandy soil,clayee soil,humas like of mulchy soil...nothing matters to it.and after 3 months old specimens are brought directly to my roof top terrace and placed under the sun and the temperatures here right now is 108 to 112 degrees farenheat and will remain so till june end.

Here are some still and i am surprised that such a tuffiee

has delicate root system so i will do this reasearch myself

i believe only what i see... ???

post-108-1179731106_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

One more in this size at the moment i have 2 young ones !

here is a still...

post-108-1179731226_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

this one is in a medium sized industrial barrel_its around 6 months old as of now ! this is grown as a back up palm,

just incase if the regular root trimming results in conk-off !

here is a still of that baby !

post-108-1179731427_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And one to the one that is just one year and 5 months old

bizie lady ! on this palm all sought of research will be conducted.Say using new fertz,regular watering to alternate days watering..mulching the top soil,if the roots are visible in the drain holes it will be trimmed immedietly,but as of now now such activity...

and now present my favouriate fan palm_

post-108-1179731668_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I germinated seed 7 years ago the one I planted in the ground is over 7 feet tall,the one left in the pot is 1 foot tall.

Some palms do grow more quickly when kept containerized for long periods.  Bismarckia is not one of them.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 14 years later...

Got to bump this. I’m well aware some palms are better than others at living in pots. Anyone had one for more than a year in a pot? General consensus bad idea?

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 4:45 PM, teddytn said:

Got to bump this. I’m well aware some palms are better than others at living in pots. Anyone had one for more than a year in a pot? General consensus bad idea?

Good idea.  Deep deep pot for that radicle to shoot down. ^_^

E538FCBC-0685-4657-9F4B-2CB2F21AF797.jpeg

• Like 2

Be sure not to set the pot directly on the ground or the palm might root into the soil. Break roots when you try to move it and you have a dead palm.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

10 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Be sure not to set the pot directly on the ground or the palm might root into the soil. Break roots when you try to move it and you have a dead palm.

Repotting in that huge planter felt like brain surgery.  :bemused: :D I’ll keep it off the ground I hope I have a few years still till the radicle goes all the way to the bottom. 

• Like 2

I have some growing here in Adelaide just coming out of their second winter. 

Any roots that come out the bottom of the pot get air pruned. They would of course do better in the ground, but this ain't happening until we purchase a property hopefully within the next 12 months.

1.jpg

Edited by Jonathan Haycock
  • Like 1

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.