Sign in to follow this  
xerophyte_nyc

Anyone growing Bismarckia in pots

xerophyte_nyc

I wonder how long a Bismarckia can be kept in a pot, indoors for the winter, with an occasional root pruning. I'm willing to try, by letting one get big enough to fit about a 25-gal container.

Call me crazy, but someone's got to make an attempt and see what happens.  That lunatic would be me, of course.

palmsrgreat

Cutting a bizzy's roots is like execution, it will bring death very quickly.

I don't see why you can't grow it in pots, just leave the roots alone

Scott

Hi xerophyte_nyc, I've had mine in a pot for about a year and a half now - going from a 15G to what probably is a 25G. It's like a tub. it's big.  

It seemed not to do much the whole time I've had it. Now it's opened up two beautiful fronds in the last three weeks, and you can see where the spear joins the trunk and all the material around there looks fresh so it's on a sudden growing spurt. It seems real happy :)  

I've intended to plant it a number of times. but now I'm determined to save my larger, better palms for when the front yard gets redone - that might not be until next spring.

Here is the Bismarckia with two new leaves opened. and that spear has since opened  :P

100_3686.jpg

Kris

Dear Friends  :)

i have germinated a few bismarkia for my garden & research purposes...

i am going to grow some indoor(Filtered shade area) some in roof top terrace and some in barrels.and as their roots come out of the pots or barrels iam going to trim them repeteadly to see what happens to the main plam.and once the roots fill and become visible in the top soil area may be then i will try changing to big pot.and i have grwon this beauty in sandy soil,clayee soil,humas like of mulchy soil...nothing matters to it.and after 3 months old specimens are brought directly to my roof top terrace and placed under the sun and the temperatures here right now is 108 to 112 degrees farenheat and will remain so till june end.

Here are some still and i am surprised that such a tuffiee

has delicate root system so i will do this reasearch myself

i believe only what i see... ???

post-108-1179731106_thumb.jpg

Kris

One more in this size at the moment i have 2 young ones !

here is a still...

post-108-1179731226_thumb.jpg

Kris

this one is in a medium sized industrial barrel_its around 6 months old as of now ! this is grown as a back up palm,

just incase if the regular root trimming results in conk-off !

here is a still of that baby !

post-108-1179731427_thumb.jpg

Kris

And one to the one that is just one year and 5 months old

bizie lady ! on this palm all sought of research will be conducted.Say using new fertz,regular watering to alternate days watering..mulching the top soil,if the roots are visible in the drain holes it will be trimmed immedietly,but as of now now such activity...

and now present my favouriate fan palm_

post-108-1179731668_thumb.jpg

madagascarbob

I germinated seed 7 years ago the one I planted in the ground is over 7 feet tall,the one left in the pot is 1 foot tall.

SubTropicRay

Some palms do grow more quickly when kept containerized for long periods.  Bismarckia is not one of them.