xvang01

Can anyone help me id's this palm.?Blue/green leaves and not armed so doesn't seem to be Butia or Jubaea or Mule palm. Anyone??

20171206_152157.thumb.jpg.8531fe8b522151

20171206_151941.jpg.6651d473b2259a18d228

20171206_152323.thumb.jpg.1b1de66e3c8e12

20171206_141522.thumb.jpg.5c8ffb74ffae24

20171206_151941.jpg

Edited by xvang01
  • Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

Looks like an extremely shade grown butia. 

• Upvote 2

matthedlund

My guess is a mule palm.

xvang01

The twisting leaves does looks like a mule or some kind of hybrid. I do have mule palms but it's all green leaves. I did a search online and came up with this palm lable it as butia x jubaea. It looked alot similar to mine in appearance wise. Could it be a butia x jubaea hybrid or just a plain old Butia odorata? 

3afd07_9e844fb012134196bb9c207b43e752b7.webp

xvang01

Here is one of mine same size butia odorata for comparison. The leaves are stiff, blue green with an arch and is heavily armed.

20171207_214415.thumb.jpg.6ffdb59c8d3c75

• Upvote 2

xvang01

Ok. It's a butia but is it possible a hybrid? Trunk is full of fiber and no spikes. 20171217_131828.thumb.jpg.5ff9dfc5b6a311 

• Upvote 1

xvang01

Here the  butia odorata for comparison. 20171217_131950.thumb.jpg.080a08f69a3a5a

• Upvote 1

xvang01

Its trunk looked similar to Butia x parajubaea cocoide hybrid. What do u guys think?

xvang01

Here a butia x parajubaea cocoid trunk with webs:5a36fe0778ebf_post-465-03615910013132611

• Upvote 1

Sandy Loam

I have no clue what the above-pictured palm tree is, but it certainly does not seem like a Butia Odorata (pure).  It might be a mule palm, but the PalmTalk experts would know better than I would.

..... Speaking of which, is the photo below a mule palm as well? 

IMG_20171204_1631276.jpg

• Upvote 1

xvang01
2 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I have no clue what the above-pictured palm tree is, but it certainly does not seem like a Butia Odorata (pure).  It might be a mule palm, but the PalmTalk experts would know better than I would.

IMG_20171204_1631276.jpg

That's a mule palm for sure but it seem like it's a double mule or could possibly be a coco queen palm. 

Edited by xvang01

Kenarr09
10 hours ago, xvang01 said:

Here a butia x parajubaea cocoid trunk with webs:5a36fe0778ebf_post-465-03615910013132611

My Butia eriospatha has same coloration on the petiols as others mentioned before pure butia! 

Nothing special sorry 

xvang01
10 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

My Butia eriospatha has same coloration on the petiols as others mentioned before pure butia! 

Nothing special sorry 

Can u send me a full and trunk picture of your. I'll like to compare it. Thanks. 

TexasColdHardyPalms
19 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

IMG_20171204_1631276.jpg

Thats a mule for sure.  I still stand behind that the original pic is a regular pindo that is shade grown or naturally wispy , not a hybrid. 

• Upvote 2

Sandy Loam

Sorry, Xvang, I'm not trying to hijack your ID thread.  Just a quick question:  Is this palm (below) also a mule palm or is it a "coconut queen"?  (I am not even sure what that is). Both of these photos were taken in Gainesville, Florida, by the way.

Now back to XVang's ID question about his Butia hybrid ---- er, sorry, pure Butia.

IMG_20170808_1655085.jpg

xvang01
58 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

Sorry, Xvang, I'm not trying to hijack your ID thread.  Just a quick question:  Is this palm (below) also a mule palm or is it a "coconut queen"?  (I am not even sure what that is). Both of these photos were taken in Gainesville, Florida, by the way.

Now back to XVang's ID question about his Butia hybrid ---- er, sorry, pure Butia.

IMG_20170808_1655085.jpg

Ok. We now know is a pure Butia but what type of pure butia is it? Sandy Loam are u reference the above palm to the one in the picture?

19 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

xvang01

If your answer, "yes" then the above palm is a hybrid. If "no" then stop posting hybrid palm. What happened to these old days where people actually taking their time help each other id's palms where one need it. I guess this is a waste of time. 

xvang01

Sandy loam, I said there is a possibility that the above palm is a coconut queen. Because the one below look just like it and it is a coconut queen. 00p0p_16QRswkDTY5_1200x900.jpg.de38f815f

xvang01

About a few weeks ago, I came across this blue palm from a friend of mine. I was pretty shocked and amazed i haven't see anything like it. Picture do no justice of the robustness of this palm. The crown and leaves are as big as a full grown phoenix canariensis and the trunk is over 3 foot wide. The leaflets have z shape tips and about 2.5 inch wide. But we both have no clue what this palm is other than a Butia. Could this be a hybrid or some pure butia?

20171205_103444.thumb.jpg.fd5e4a252ad204

20171205_103554.jpg

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms
5 hours ago, xvang01 said:

About a few weeks ago, I came across this blue palm from a friend of mine. I was pretty shocked and amazed i haven't see anything like it. Picture do no justice of the robustness of this palm. The crown and leaves are as big as a full grown phoenix canariensis and the trunk is over 3 foot wide. The leaflets have z shape tips and about 2.5 inch wide. But we both have no clue what this palm is other than a Butia. Could this be a hybrid or some pure butia?

Bingo!!! You have a winner with that one. That looks exactly like a jxb hybrid- Jubaea as the mother, pindo father.  A few of mine have very nice color as does that one. That is a very fine example of this cross and just appears to have started trunking. 

5150cycad

That is a beautiful looking palm. I have never seen a jubaea x butia hybrid that inherited so much blue as this one. The trunk on that thing looks enormous. Looks like it also has the trademark hooks at the end of some of the leaves which is very common in these hybrids.