IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acephate

Darold Petty

I'm having problems inside my greenhouse with mealybug, scale, and spider mites.  I am considering the use of acephate, an 'old-school' systemic insecticide.  (It is labeled for use against mites, also).  In the past I have used a liquid form containing 9.4% acephate, costing $20 for one pint, (16 fluid ounces). I see that this chemical is also offered as a dry, soluble powder containing 97.4% acephate, costing $18 for 0.773 pounds. This form is usually labeled for use against fire ants. 

Are these two forms equivalent for use by foliar spraying, and wouldn't the dry powder be much more economical ?  Thanks for any advice !  

San Francisco, California

Over here the use of Acephate was banned 25 years ago. Consumer and environment protection seem to be a non issue in the US but maybe you could use something less dangerous like Lizetan?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I cannot find a vendor in the USA.  All searches show vendors only in Germany.  The cost for 500 ml including shipping would be 50 euros.  When I search the generic name, Thiacloprid, the vendors are all wholesale, and offer a minimum sale of 1000 kg !

I am extremely careful with acephate, using an approved respirator and impermeable clothing, and I only use this product inside my greenhouse, never outside.

Can you address my question about the equivalence between the liquid and powdered forms offered ?  Thanks !   

San Francisco, California

Hi, Darold.

I have used acephate here in the past, marketed as Orthene wettable powder. Good aphid and mealybug control when used with a surfactant but of very doubtful efficacy as a miticide. As you know, it has an absolutely SCANDALOUS and persistent odor. While it is relatively low tox to higher vertebrates, it will have your neighbors freaking out if there is any drift, and there invariably is from a ventilated greenhouse. There are other systemics that control the same spectrum of arthropod pests that are far less pungent, but they do cost more (e.g. Pylon). If you are not wedded to using a systemic, Mavrik Aquaflow (tau-fluvalinate), combined with a surfactant and used as complete coverage spray to runoff at seven day intervals x 2-3 apps is a better option for many reasons. If you have any friends who can get you a small volume of  Enstar II, makes a superb combo to knock our heavy infestations of armored scale and mealies.

Alcibiades: "Consumer and environment protection seem to be a non issue in the US..."

I'm sure you think you score virtue points with the comment, but this is simply untrue.

Jay

• Upvote 3

Darold I have quite an infestation of scales & mealy bugs in my greenhouse this year. In the last few months I have been spraying Neem Oil solutions on infested plants with great results. Neem oil kills on contact but also has some systemic capability. It is cheap and safe and its smell is not too bad. 

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

Daxin:

There is far too much variance between growers’ experiences as to the efficacy of neem oil for it to be a reliable control. I have been over this ground before on the forum, but for brevity’s sake will just say that I and others I know have trialed it on both a commercial and hobbyist scale and off over the years and find it no more effective to suppress pest insects or mites than any good quality summer oil spray.

If neem oil was indeed the panacea its advocates claim, its use would be far, far, far more widespread than it is. I have never seen any firsthand evidence that it is a worthwhile pest control route that lasts for more than a few days.

Your experience is an outlier, IMO, and these occasional “successes” with neem oil is what maintains some level of enthusiasm for it in amateur horticulture.

J

• Upvote 3

I read that some vendors' need oil are not as effective as the cold-pressed ones like those from Dyna-Gro, but Dyna-Gro calls its need oil as leaf polish so I guess they do not want to stand behind its pesticidal properties. I have noticed that for aphids it is not so effective, but the low toxicity to humans is really something I wanted in a pesticide. Bayer's Advanced fruit & vegetable insect control seems to be a good low-cost, low toxicity systemic but its label says for residential outdoor use only. I keep wondering why the active ingredient of 0.235% imidacloprid is not suitable for a greenhouse environment if it is safe to drench fruits and vegetables. Maybe they are only talking about this being not suitable for interior house plants? and it can be quite toxic in an enclosed space?

https://www.bayeradvanced.com/find-a-product/insects-pests/fruit-citrus-vegetable-insect-control

https://www.bayeradvanced.com/~/media/BayerAdvanced/Product%20Labels/Fruit%20Citrus%20Vegetable%20Insect%20Control-32oz-CON.ashx

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

Dax:

I have always used Dyna-Gro pure neem oil (17 years of spot trials and wide scale sprays). Obviously, I have an open mind given this persistence over a loooooong time, but with each trial I grow more skeptical as to its efficacy. Worked into a shampoo, it did resolve a non specific skin issue on one of my dogs once, so it hasn’t been a total waste of effort.

Bayer product you mention is not labelled for greenhouse use in that presentation. Be safe but let common sense be your guide.

J