IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Possible Florida Freeze - December 2017

RedRabbit

Some of Florida may experience a freeze on December 10th:

24130415_10155729104877367_7751999439247

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

4 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Some of Florida may experience a freeze on December 10th:

24130415_10155729104877367_7751999439247

Hopefully it will moderate some before hitting. It might get down to 32F for me this week I have a few light blankets going on the most tender stuff.  All we can do is wish each other good luck. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Right now, the forecast from weather.com is for 41 for a low that night.  Might be a good time to start getting the blankets ready just in case.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Right now, the forecast from weather.com is for 41 for a low that night.  Might be a good time to start getting the blankets ready just in case.

Wunderground is forecasting 43f here. The graph I posted above is from the GFS model so it is either wrong or the forecasts are going to have to come way down over the next few days... Just something to keep an eye on. If the GFS is correct I'm looking at a light freeze at worst so I'm not too worried. 

Just now, RedRabbit said:

Wunderground is forecasting 43f here. The graph I posted above is from the GFS model so it is either wrong or the forecasts are going to have to come way down over the next few days... Just something to keep an eye on. If the GFS is correct I'm looking at a light freeze at worst so I'm not too worried. 

The only thing I have to worry about is a few coconut palms.  Everything else will breeze through, no problem. 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

The forecast keeps dropping for us and it is now calling for 29 on Thursday AM. This will be the first official freeze of the winter at the house. 

• Upvote 1

For now, it looks like it will be chilly, but not freezing here.

20171205184200_weather.png

Lakeland, FL

They're still calling for low 40s here. It is looking like GFS cried wolf this time around, but it is still a little early to know for sure.

Current lowest temp I see forecast for Satellite Beach is 46 on Saturday night. Over an inch of rain is forecast prior to the cold front.

• Upvote 1

Holy Cow! Not sure of the reliability of this model but cold air is on the way. Take a look at South Texas!

24879557_10155737763647367_2812182880575

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, IHB1979 said:

Holy Cow! Not sure of the reliability of this model but cold air is on the way. Take a look at South Texas!

24879557_10155737763647367_2812182880575

That would definitely break records. Deep South Texas has only seen snow twice in recorded history (1899, 2004) and certainly not this early. Current forecast calls for rain and lows around 40F to mid 40s at the coast. 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Forecast dropped again for us.  Now calling for 27 on Friday morning, then warming back up over the weekend....

My forecast is trending down, NOAA has my coastal location lows for Saturday and Sunday at 41 and 46.

Edited by IHB1979
  • Upvote 1

Looks like most of Texas except downtown San Antonio and the Houston 610 core will get their first freeze Friday morning. Forecast has Dallas at 29 Houston is at 33, Austin 32. 

• Upvote 1

Forecast says 36f in TC tonight.  Geez, I was so not expecting this. I’ve got work to do at lunch today.  :rant:

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 1

All of the lower Rio Grande Valley is currently under a winter weather advisory and Brownsville NWS anticipates possibly 1/2 in of snow in the LRGV, with SPI only seeing cold rain. Worst case senario for those of us with tropicals, possibly 1 in accumilation of rain/snow mix. If anything occurs, will be 5-9 AM Friday. Stay warm everyone! 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, LF-TX said:

All of the lower Rio Grande Valley is currently under a winter weather advisory and Brownsville NWS anticipates possibly 1/2 in of snow in the LRGV, with SPI only seeing cold rain. Worst case senario for those of us with tropicals, possibly 1 in accumilation of rain/snow mix. If anything occurs, will be 5-9 AM Friday. Stay warm everyone! 

Oh boy, so 26 degrees latitude at low elevation and near the coast isn’t enough to avoid snow in early December? Texas is so ripped off, I have long known and vocalized this but it still surprises me. 

• Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Looks like the model wasn't crazy 

image4.png.e906874332fe8af6afd6e29475243

Low temperature forecast has gone way down too. 34F for Brownsville and 38F for South Padre Island.

Somebody please take some pics of tropicals in snow??? 

• Upvote 3

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I now feel like I am getting off easy with a 26 degree morning especially if Brownsville is at 33 tomorrow morning.  The clouds dissipated around 6pm up here and we are currently 35 and clear skies.

• Upvote 1

How in the world is it going to be warmer in Corpus, Houston, and San Antonio than Brownsville in the next 5 days straight??????

56 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

How in the world is it going to be warmer in Corpus, Houston, and San Antonio than Brownsville in the next 5 days straight??????

Huh? Forecast shows Brownsville to be back into the 70s by next week 

But strange that there's almost no difference in expected  low temps between the 4 cities you mentioned.  

Edited by Xenon
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Second is corpus. The lows in brownsville are REALLY low!  I have a hard time believing their forecast..

Mine have been up and down, but are consistent with 2 nights in the 30's and two days below 60F. 

20171207214500_weather.png

Lakeland, FL

4 hours ago, Xenon said:

Looks like the model wasn't crazy 

image4.png.e906874332fe8af6afd6e29475243

Low temperature forecast has gone way down too. 34F for Brownsville and 38F for South Padre Island.

Somebody please take some pics of tropicals in snow??? 

Coconuts in particular.  Coconuts plus snow plus Christmas = tropical Christmas meme machine. 

The aftermath, however. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Meanwhile Dallas does our normal winter yo-yo..

20171207_202726.jpg

I was expecting way worse than that in Dallas, given how could the south is getting. 

Edited by topwater

It is snowing along the Texas coast. In S.E. Houston it is 33 with a dusting of snow on the ground. It appears form the image below that the snow extends down to the coast at Galveston.

At 3:15am

3_14am.jpg.c25f8b9d0635bc4d6a478a647e8b7

I don't recall seeing snow in Houston ever this early in the winter.

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 2

Sitting at 26.9F right this second here at the house with a few 28's downtown and lots of 22-24 readings in the north and west suburbs.  Mostly 30-32F readings in Houston with Galveston at 34-36F.  Corpus temps are all right around 32.0 and Brownsville/McAllen temps are 34.5-36.5. South Padre is the warmest spot in Texas at 38.3.  San Antonio and Austin must still have cloud cover as they are holding at 32-34. Still a few more hours for temps to drop everywhere. 

• Upvote 2

34F with snow in Monterrey, Mexico (further south than Miami)

39F in Ciudad Victoria (23.4*N)

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

My forecast is trending down again, NOAA has my coastal location lows for Saturday and Sunday at 35 and 38. There's a 8-9 degree low temp difference between several forecasts, some only say low 40's. Let's hope for the latter.

• Upvote 1

My father-in-law was living in Harlingen during the 2004 snow event. I didn't think we would see another one of these events for decades.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Xenon said:

34F with snow in Monterrey, Mexico (further south than Miami)

39F in Ciudad Victoria (23.4*N)

Yikes!

Wow!  How are humidity levels and winds?  

Here in SoCal I start to see frost in my z10a garden when temps hit 37f.  But it it is usually low humidity and zero air air movement where 37f becomes a real problem. 

Just wondering if some of those coastal areas might dodge the worst of it.

15 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Oh boy, so 26 degrees latitude at low elevation and near the coast isn’t enough to avoid snow in early December? Texas is so ripped off, I have long known and vocalized this but it still surprises me. 

Well, at least it isn't coming with too bad of a freeze (if any).

• Upvote 1