IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Manambe Lavaka Garden Update 2017

MattyB

5 hours ago, MattyB said:

Hey Adam.  I only have one Beccariopheonix nowadays.  I removed B. fenestralis because it would  yellow uncontrollably in winter.  And B. madagascarensis died suddenly in an extreme heat wave a few years ago.  So I'm left with this B. alfredii below.  It's in a tough spot, with shallow soil, and only gets watered once a week, so it looks best after winter, not summer.  I've left all the lower dead leaves on in an attempt to create shade on the ground around the root zone.  I think it's proven itself well in these harsh conditions.  Maybe I need to add a few more emitters around it.

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

Sorry for the loss of the madagascariensis. Those are my favorite Beccariophoenix. 

More emitters wouldn't hurt.  I think it is darn near impossible to over water an Alfredii.

• Upvote 2

Had to get a couple more shots of the Bizzy.  This one has always had some great color and holds it leaves almost all the way to the ground.

IMG_3830.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

How in the world has this palm survived the gophers?

• Upvote 2

Hey Adam.  I only have one Beccariopheonix nowadays.  I removed B. fenestralis because it would  yellow uncontrollably in winter.  And B. madagascarensis died suddenly in an extreme heat wave a few years ago.  So I'm left with this B. alfredii below.  It's in a tough spot, with shallow soil, and only gets watered once a week, so it looks best after winter, not summer.  I've left all the lower dead leaves on in an attempt to create shade on the ground around the root zone.  I think it's proven itself well in these harsh conditions.  Maybe I need to add a few more emitters around it.

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

I too grew tired of looking at my yellow fenestralis and removed it...

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

I remember those photos from back in 2007 & 2008 and said at the time how spectacular your garden would be in 5-10 years.

Well fast forward.......perfecto!

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Love your garden Matt. I remember seeing pics when you first started. Well done.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Matt, it is posts like yours that inspire all of us in post hurricane Puerto Rico (and other areas struck by disasters) to stay busy replanting! 

Your property is amazing and thanks so much for the virtual tour.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Matt,

Thank you very much for sharing these great photos of your garden!

Starting literally from the scratch and creating such a great garden - not to mention the "rain forest section" -

within 10 years - an absolute impressive piece of work! 

Best regards from Okinawa,

Lars

On 11/27/2017, 2:51:32, MattyB said:

Forgot to get a pic of this one before.  Brahea pimo.  Very fuzzy.

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

Nice. Can I get this back?

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Awesome Matt. I need to see your place. It has been like 8 years!

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I remember all the dirt that was spread ~ 10 years ago it transformed the landscape with many tons of dirt and irrigation.  Then all the species of palms went in, followed by amazing growth.  Your gorgeous place is a labor of love, with a little blood and lots of sweat and bruises thrown in.  Congrats Matty, you have created a beautiful and amazing place, thanks for the pics! 

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Wow, everything looks amazing. Well done Matty!!!  I was just getting into palms about 10 years ago  and found palm talk shortly thereafter. Watching your place on here over the years was very inspirational for me and my fallbrook garden. The hard work has really paid off!

Thanks for taking the time to post all these updated pictures. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/26/2017, 3:51:02, MattyB said:

Pseudophoenix trio:  sargentii, ekmanii, vinifera

DSCN6495.JPG

Looking good Matty.  I see what you were telling me about the twist on the leaves of your P sargentii.  Its very distinctive and different than mine (ssp saonae var navassana).  I wish I had room for both varieties here, but will just have to be patient for my Caryota gigas to die in Carlsbad, so the little one there will start getting more sun and start growing again.  I'm still inching my way through your gallery, and love everything I've seen!!!

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks for posting...as Kris would say...I enjoyed the visuals.

• Upvote 3

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

On 11/26/2017, 3:50:27, MattyB said:

Another Dypsis heteromorpha....serious beefcake going on here.  Looks like a triangle hybrid.  From the other angle you can see a small Licuala peltata 'sumwongii' doing very well.

DSCN6494.JPG

DSCN6501.JPG

:o

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

C'mon Matty where are the coconut pics?

I bet its fruiting by now?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 11/26/2017, 4:04:11, MattyB said:

stuff

Had to laugh at this one Matty!  Quite modest of you.

On 11/26/2017, 4:16:27, MattyB said:

And we'll finish it off with a Copernicia macroglossa growing surprisingly well.  Thanks for taking the 2017 tour.  Peace in the Middle East.

DSCN6557.JPG

Quite the piece de resistance!  Tres bien mon ami!

• 4 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017‎ ‎6‎:‎42‎:‎04‎, MattyB said:

Bizmarckia and Ravenea xerophila :interesting:

DSCN6479.JPG

DSCN6483.JPG

The Ravenea xerophila  looks flawless :wub:  :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On 11/26/2017, 3:48:28, MattyB said:

Bentinkia condopanna and Areca vestiaria

DSCN6491.JPG

:greenthumb: Areca vestiaria!!