IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Manambe Lavaka Garden Update 2017

MattyB

Beautiful Matt. I officially quit. From now on when I want the rainforest experience, I'll set up an encampment down in your ravine. The growth you've experienced is unbelievable, a real credit to your hard work. Nicely done..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

3 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Beautiful garden, well done!

Amazing work. Thanks for sharing MattyB.

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Concur with everyone!

Hoarse from screaming obscenities. . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Beautiful Matt. I officially quit. From now on when I want the rainforest experience, I'll set up an encampment down in your ravine. The growth you've experienced is unbelievable, a real credit to your hard work. Nicely done..

Don’t quit!

At least not till I get the chance to check out your place. . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well done Mr. B... I gotta get down there to enjoy it again sometime soon... I bet you wish it was before the last heat wave..:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here in Florida, we tend to think the plants sulk during dry spells when they get fed irrigation water.  Yours somehow thrived during the Great Drought.  You likely have a very good site for Cuban palms live with a long dry season.  Don Hodel and Duanny Suárez will have a book on Coccothrinax.  

Your place looked spacious but pretty barren at the start, as in "sun drenched rocky hillside dry as a bone."  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

2 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

Here in Florida, we tend to think the plants sulk during dry spells when they get fed irrigation water.  Yours somehow thrived during the Great Drought.  You likely have a very good site for Cuban palms live with a long dry season.  Don Hodel and Duanny Suárez will have a book on Coccothrinax.  

Your place looked spacious but pretty barren at the start, as in "sun drenched rocky hillside dry as a bone."  

If you saw Spring Valley where this garden is located,  "jungle" or "rainforest" would be very unlikely  words to come to mind...

• Upvote 2

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

3 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

Like most of Southern California.

Matt, did I see a Trachycarpus ?  You need to whack it and plant some obscure, kinky little Dypsis !!  :floor:

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Amazing results from a blank slate 10 years ago to what you have created.  :greenthumb:  Plenty of fresh air in the rain forest I bet.  

Carl

Vista, CA

For reference, here's what it looked like in 2007 at the beginning of planting.

9-26-07 009.jpg

9-26-07 006.jpg

9-07 003.jpg

• Upvote 4

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Looking great Matt! I can't believe it was more than 10 years ago that we both started our hillside gardens. I hate to admit it, but I'd happily trade my results for yours at this point...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

34 minutes ago, elHoagie said:

Looking great Matt! I can't believe it was more than 10 years ago that we both started our hillside gardens. I hate to admit it, but I'd happily trade my results for yours at this point...

Awww, that's very nice of you to say Jack.  I'd love to see your place.  It's been at least 3 years, maybe more.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

19 hours ago, Hammer said:

Matty, got any up close shots of your Beccariophoenix palms?

Hey Adam.  I only have one Beccariopheonix nowadays.  I removed B. fenestralis because it would  yellow uncontrollably in winter.  And B. madagascarensis died suddenly in an extreme heat wave a few years ago.  So I'm left with this B. alfredii below.  It's in a tough spot, with shallow soil, and only gets watered once a week, so it looks best after winter, not summer.  I've left all the lower dead leaves on in an attempt to create shade on the ground around the root zone.  I think it's proven itself well in these harsh conditions.  Maybe I need to add a few more emitters around it.

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

• Upvote 3

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Had to get a couple more shots of the Bizzy.  This one has always had some great color and holds it leaves almost all the way to the ground.

IMG_3830.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

• Upvote 4

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Forgot to get a pic of this one before.  Brahea pimo.  Very fuzzy.

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

• Upvote 5

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

If anyone sees anything interesting you want me to get a close up on, let me know.  I'll go out and take a pic of it.

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Man I have to tip my cap to you Matt, looks incredible!  I think Adam, Jastin and I were last out there in 2013.  It was impressive then and has just exploded in the last couple of years.  No one that I know can top you for the amount of hard work poured into one yard.  There are too many amazing plants to mention, but that Jubaea x Butia is just a mind blower.  Nice work dude and I hope I can find a time to check it out again sometime soon.  Your garden is overdue for a PSSC tour!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MattyB said:

If anyone sees anything interesting you want me to get a close up on, let me know.  I'll go out and take a pic of it.

Amazing garden Matt! 

Is it next to beccario Syagrus coronata? :)

37 minutes ago, Kenarr09 said:

Amazing garden Matt! 

Is it next to beccario Syagrus coronata? :)

Yep you got it.  I think in another two years it'll have a really nice form.  It's been slow to get established and tap into the drip emitters.  I planted it as a 1 gallon at least 4 or 5 years ago.

Edited by MattyB
  • Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Man, I have seen a random photo or two of your place before, but I had no idea how much acreage you have and what a labour of love your place is.  Wow.  Just imagine what it will look like in twenty years when everything is towering overhead.  Post us another photo tour before your beard gets to full-on ZZTop.

By the way, what are those colorful shrubs with the vibrant pink blooms?  Your palms are great, but those blooms are a show stopper --- almost surpassing those rooster statuettes.

Thanks for the awesome tour, MattB!

I am so impressed with your garden MattyB, everything is looking great and the growth is amazing since our visit there in 2014!!!

i can well imagine how much work (and joy!) you've dedicated to your incredible and diverse garden/collection.

Some of the palms which I'm also growing here in northeast Brazil actually look a bit different, I guess it's a matter of climate, soil structure, natural humidity and watering schedule, i.e Copernicia prunifera and a few Syagrus. Your palms look fabulous nevertheless. And where are those beautiful blue cycads I've seen too? I guess I need to talk the brazilian group into another trip to SoCal in the next years...we had a great time there...and when are you (and the Dentons, Sayers, etc) coming down here for a visit? Abraços.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

3 hours ago, MattyB said:

Awww, that's very nice of you to say Jack.  I'd love to see your place.  It's been at least 3 years, maybe more.

You're welcome to stop by any time! If I can find some time, I'll try to get some photos posted. Compared to your place, mine is much more crammed and less maintained, so it's not nearly as photogenic. I think it's been a few years since I was at your place - I definitely need to make it back!

Also, for what it's worth, I think I may have lost one of my clumping Dypsis baronii types due to extreme shading/crushing from a Bismarckia leaf. My situation was probably worse, but it was fairly similar to what you have going on in your pictures. The Dypsis was thriving for many years, and the only thing that changed when it started its rapid decline was the Bismarck leaf. Anyway, you may consider trimming the one leaf that's in full-on crush mode.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

2 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

By the way, what are those colorful shrubs with the vibrant pink blooms?  Your palms are great, but those blooms are a show stopper --- almost surpassing those rooster statuettes.

Thanks for the awesome tour, MattB!

You mean these?  Brazilian Red Cloak

FA67B8E5-12ED-4637-8D71-B472D523C6E8.jpeg

F1B8BB03-F800-4036-99B5-D031546095B1.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

1 hour ago, elHoagie said:

You're welcome to stop by any time! If I can find some time, I'll try to get some photos posted. Compared to your place, mine is much more crammed and less maintained, so it's not nearly as photogenic. I think it's been a few years since I was at your place - I definitely need to make it back!

Also, for what it's worth, I think I may have lost one of my clumping Dypsis baronii types due to extreme shading/crushing from a Bismarckia leaf. My situation was probably worse, but it was fairly similar to what you have going on in your pictures. The Dypsis was thriving for many years, and the only thing that changed when it started its rapid decline was the Bismarck leaf. Anyway, you may consider trimming the one leaf that's in full-on crush mode.

Crush mode!!!  Good thinking. Although I kinda wanted to remove that D. cuesta linda anyways. It’s got a super lame o leaf twist thing going on. Maybe the Bizzie is regulating for me. 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

1 hour ago, Gileno Machado said:

I am so impressed with your garden MattyB, everything is looking great and the growth is amazing since our visit there in 2014!!!

i can well imagine how much work (and joy!) you've dedicated to your incredible and diverse garden/collection.

Some of the palms which I'm also growing here in northeast Brazil actually look a bit different, I guess it's a matter of climate, soil structure, natural humidity and watering schedule, i.e Copernicia prunifera and a few Syagrus. Your palms look fabulous nevertheless. And where are those beautiful blue cycads I've seen too? I guess I need to talk the brazilian group into another trip to SoCal in the next years...we had a great time there...and when are you (and the Dentons, Sayers, etc) coming down here for a visit? Abraços.

Thanks Gileno!  Someday we’re gonna do a Brazil and OZ trip. Someday. 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

5 hours ago, Firepalm said:

Man I have to tip my cap to you Matt, looks incredible!  I think Adam, Jastin and I were last out there in 2013.  It was impressive then and has just exploded in the last couple of years.  No one that I know can top you for the amount of hard work poured into one yard.  There are too many amazing plants to mention, but that Jubaea x Butia is just a mind blower.  Nice work dude and I hope I can find a time to check it out again sometime soon.  Your garden is overdue for a PSSC tour!

Totally agree Blake.  Time for a PSSC tour. Or at a least a PRA.  Time to pile in the Jastin-mobile.

• Upvote 1