IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut palm [Due to cold] İf death is unavoidable

Paranormal

• 3 weeks later...
On 24.11.2017 22:49:24, Xenon said:

:P

Barron-01.JPG

24qob9g.jpg

Where is here?
 Is this country Turkey? Where's the photos?

Edited by SоІеmіо

3 hours ago, SоІеmіо said:

Where is here?
 Is this country Turkey? Where's the photos?

No, the photo was taken near Brownsville, Texas, USA. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 2 years later...

Wow! What a thread. Its been 3 years since this thread was started. Is it safe to assume Paranormal's Turkish Coco's are starting to trunk by now? :) 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 5:43 PM, Paranormal said:

West, southwest and south Nepal. Or İn north India;  ı heard that the method of burying the roots deep. However, cannot prove it. 

You have stated that roots deepening is wrong. It may be logical; What is your reference?

I want to draw attention to another point: 

PalmatierMeg ^I don't know where you live but repeated cold fronts below 40F will kill a coconut. Coconuts will not photosynthesize below 50F and will die during long periods of cool weatherYou expressed in the form of...

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/115895823439012891984/6451940881968227506

There are colder places and many examples; 38 °F / 32 °F / 30 °F even 28-27 °F as.

(Toros giant row of mountains; like himalaya mountains) İn the mediterranean region Toros mountains is parallel to the sea; They block airflow from the north. I live in Turkey. There is a mysterious mikroklima in the south...

Even if you are close to the equator, there are some cool conditions in the world. Even if you are away from the equator, There are such microclimate zones in Turkey.

Because the plains are too much; Can not block the north winds, and florida sees occasional frost and snowfall; Even Miami...

I do not know if there has ever been coconut palms in Turkey; I want to give a chance to the coconut palms. Even if, it is a waste...

Ekran Alıntısı.PNG

fc39c8f020953e82d253409b611a2a6d.jpeg.abfb2c1ac5a014340d3ace41ad759ed3.jpeg

5.PNG

B8UCD3xCQAE-Hfk.jpg

Just a random comment on the topic headlined in that Miami newspaper.  I distinctly remember in January 2010 (January 9-10) reading that sleet was observed falling in Kendall, which is actually significantly south of Miami (by maybe 10-15 miles).  It might have been rain mixing with sleet, but nonetheless, I was absolutely shocked, as I stayed up all night in anticipation of the frozen precipitation that one morning.  We had winter weather advisories and all and the radar was lit up with pinks and blues.  What did we get in Altamonte Springs, a far northern suburb of Orlando?  At roughly 6:00 a.m. I heard a clicking noise start and sure enough, little sleet pellets were falling and could be seen as a dusting on the cars in the parking lot.  After 20 minutes at most, it became mixed with rain and after another hour it was all very cold light rain with a temperature around 33F.  As I stood out in the rain that first couple hours, I could swear I saw a flake of snow a couple times, but I couldn’t be sure.  My location was condos next to a decent sized lake and I was standing in a black top parking lot and the major cold had just begun, so I am sure a lot of heat was being given off.  Had I gone to a nearby field or woods, there might have been a bit of snow or even freezing rain.  It was 33F and I heard plenty of reports from around town of flurries, freezing rain and of course, sleet.  I know for certain I saw an hourly observation from either the International or Executive Airports that said “Light Freezing Rain” and at least one other that said “Unknown Precipitation”.

Bottom line, Kendall, south of Miami(!) got essentially the same frozen precipitation show I did north of Orlando, at least 250 miles north.

Lastly, the 1977 event brought frozen precipitation as far south as Homestead, which is a record for Florida.  Not to mention, that record cold wave also brought frozen precipitation to Freeport in the Bahamas.

-Michael

• Upvote 1