PalmTreeDude

How Is Water Effecting You Climate Now Campared To Away From Water?

PalmTreeDude

Right now by the lake it is warmer than away from it, so it is warming it up, I am going to see how long it takes to stop. What about you, if your near a lake?

Palm crazy
On November 20, 2017 7:31:40 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

Right now by the lake it is warmer than away from it, so it is warming it up, I am going to see how long it takes to stop. What about you, if your near a lake?

Here we have warm rain and air that come from the South Pacific Ocean, there called pineapple express.  Right now at 2:20 pm 65F/18.3C with a low of 59F/15C. Will cool down to normal after Turkey Day. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Palm crazy
30 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Here we have warm rain and air that come from the South Pacific Ocean, there called pineapple express.  Right now at 2:20 pm 65F/18.3C with a low of 59F/15C. Will cool down to normal after Turkey Day. 

But getting back to your question, here the farer you are from Puget Sound the cooler it can get at night.  Especially in my area, winter nights can sometime be 15-18 degrees colder 5 miles inland.  

• Upvote 1

Walt

The thermal effect of water is apparent when you look at the below temperature map and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Note the higher temperatures compared to inland locations at the same latitude.  Nighttime lows are higher, but daytime highs will be lower as the inland soil temperatures will warm up faster during the day, while the ocean and sound waters have too great a thermal enertia to rise much, thus holding daytime temperatures down some.

But as the winter chill comes, the ocean and sound waters will cool to a point that the nighttime lows won't be as great a difference than inland temperatures. This will be more apparent towards the end of the winter. When spring comes the daytime highs near the ocean will be lower and lag behind inland locations, as the cold water will draw heat from the air, keeping the air cooler.

http://www.thorntonweather.com/national-temp.php

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      What exactly are sunset climate zones? I tried to look it up and basically every site just says, "it takes in all the factors of growing in a climate" and then doesn't really explain it. Is a higher number good or bad? What's the scale? 
    • mxcolin
      By mxcolin
      I have a Chinese Fan Palm growing in a container and it's starting to go yellow and brown. I live in an area that has hot, very sunny, rainless summers. I'm watering the palm with a drip line every 4 days for 30 minutes and I've fertilized twice in the last few months. New growth is coming and I've removed a few fronds recently that were really brown. The roots aren't water logged, the container has ample drainage and I've tried to test this by putting a wooden stake all the way down to the bottom of the container, it comes back out bone dry. Can I put this down to just hot dry summers and not enough water or do you think there is something else at work here?

• John in Andalucia
      By John in Andalucia
      mountain-forecast.com
      This site has given me a better understanding of average temperatures for highland species. I think it's a great resource for palm growers.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this huge difference in tempatures in Coastal Southern California and Inland Southern California from the ocean and the mountains? How high are these mountains? Every time I look at a tempature map of the U.S. I see how much cooler it is in Coastal California than Inland California, which I know is a desert. Does Coastal California ever seem chilly out at some times around this time of year? Out of curiosity I sometimes compare tempatures of here and places like San Diego or Los Angeles and a lot of the time it is warmer here (during the day) in the Spring time. For people who live in these places, what does it feel like out? It looks like Southern California has all kinds of different little (but bigger than micro) climates. I make sure to pay attention to the time difference as well. 
      I apologize for the typo in the title, I didn't notice it. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Hello, I am in need of a small watering can for indoor plants that I'll use for seed starting. All of my watering cans and stuff that I water with that I have turn up the soil even when I water lightly and can put the seeds at the top and mess everything up. Does anyone know of a small watering can that has a light stream that I can use for seed starting?