IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show Us Your Bromeliads!

sbpalms

• 2 months later...

When you envision Tillandsias I'm sure this is not what you'd immediately think of. T. rauhii, from Peru, has an inflorescence that cascades down and horizontally. Black flowers. One of two currently in bloom at work.

0110190820a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

Ben i have no idea, most of my bromeliads i get from friends and customers and they seldom have tags

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, had to go wayy back to find this topic, lol..   anyway.

Not mine ( though i have a small one ) but came across these while getting some pictures while out today.  Oddly, these aren't located where some might assume,  .. in a display garden w /other deserty things.. in a neighborhood park near the house.

Honestly, these look 100 X's better than the ones in the DBG's collection, or others i have seen here. 

Thinking Hechtia glauca ...but open to the possibility a cross / var of " " perhaps..  Great find regardless....
DSCN5789.JPG.578e651067b6d6781f5d7dca6638f8fe.JPGDSCN5790.JPG.2eee0d0776975d9fcf3abeea29228850.JPG

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

4 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Awfully wide for straight glauca.

Thanks Gonz, was hoping you'd chime in w/ your thoughts..

I was thinking the same thing. Wider leaves,  lack of offsets ( could be continuously removed from these ) and single, non -branching flower stalk, ( short bottle-brush type stalk, like Agave vilmoriniana ) were enough to question id on these.

• Like 1

Nathan, sent you a PM. Found this guy, Aechmea tessmannii, at 'work' yesterday putting out a spike that wasn't there the day before. Exquisite color.

0418191116a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 4/17/2019 at 7:31 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Thinking Hechtia glauca ...but open to the possibility a cross / var of " " perhaps..  Great find regardless....

On 4/18/2019 at 3:19 AM, Gonzer said:

Awfully wide for straight glauca.

Agree that it is very different than the Hechtia glauca's I have seen.  Mine is much more compact.  Never flowered yet even though I've had it several years and its split and produced pups.

20190420-104A3029.jpg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

53 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Agree that it is very different than the Hechtia glauca's I have seen.  Mine is much more compact.  Never flowered yet even though I've had it several years and its split and produced pups.

20190420-104A3029.jpg

Agree, spent some time following Gonzer's lead looking through the site he'd referred me to -s photos of both Hechtia and Dyckia sp. / cultivars and still not quite sure what the monster i found is..  Went back to the park and got a complete picture w/ the flower stalk, and carefully inspected each plant for pups/ offsets that might have been tucked further down in each specimens crown.. nothin'  Like i'd told Gonz, was able to collect a few seeds so we'll see what happens.  If not, i know where they are, lol.

Picture w/ spent flower spike from the park:
DSCN5813.JPG.1bcf866b438c1eb5b8f6dbe1d569c80a.JPG

H. glauca and Flower spike coming off one of these plants at Desert Botanical.
DSCN1734.JPG.8f7d6f3554317f2474be1d71fc0a23ec.JPG

DSCN1735.JPG.bcff7e48f64013fbf30b2d303fad5f16.JPG

Have even extended the search to Aloe sp. like A. bulbilifera and suarezensis. See some similarities but not an exact match, imo..  No worries..  aside from the possible big 'ol miss id on my part ..then posting it in the Bromeliad thread, :blush2:   ..I should know better,  lol:indifferent:

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 11:25 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Have even extended the search to Aloe sp. like A. bulbilifera and suarezensis. See some similarities but not an exact match, imo..  No worries..  aside from the possible big 'ol miss id on my part ..then posting it in the Bromeliad thread, :blush2:   ..I should know better,  lol:indifferent:

Heh, you had me scratching my head looking over your pic for a brom.  Remind me to remind you of the time you mistook an Aloe for a bromeliad. :D  Might try searching for Aloe vanbalenii or its hybrids.  If it's any consolation the other day I *briefly* mistook a Ruellia elegans seedling for a Brugmansia arborea seedling... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, epiphyte said:

Heh, you had me scratching my head looking over your pic for a brom.  Remind me to remind you of the time you mistook an Aloe for a bromeliad. :D  Might try searching for Aloe vanbalenii or its hybrids.  If it's any consolation the other day I *briefly* mistook a Ruellia elegans seedling for a Brugmansia arborea seedling... 

:lol: yea yea.. lol,  it happens.  The worst is when you take another look, and notice there had been some sort of name change you didn't catch the first time..  No worries. 

Tiny little tillandsia fuchsii in bloom growing on a piece of cork

do they split after flowering like ‘normal’ bromeliads? 

E4A6D3F9-464B-42D7-8E49-5CF6730622FF.jpeg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Ben1 said:

Tiny little tillandsia fuchsii in bloom growing on a piece of cork

do they split after flowering like ‘normal’ bromeliads? 

E4A6D3F9-464B-42D7-8E49-5CF6730622FF.jpeg

They split even before flowering.

• Like 2

My criminally under-potted variegated Billbergia nutans in bloom right now. One of these years I've got to divide it up! :wacko:

Bilbergia.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hillizard said:

My criminally under-potted variegated Billbergia nutans in bloom right now. One of these years I've got to divide it up! :wacko:

Bilbergia.png

Also known as Bill. 'Santa Barbara'. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting over a year since I got it to see the blooms on my Pitcairnia xanthocalyx (a species endemic to Mexico). In terms of its 'showiness,' I'm a bit underwhelmed.  :bummed:

Pitcairnia1.png

Pitcairnia2.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Is anyone using bromeliad time-released fertilizers 15-9-12 with minor trace elements? I am getting some that are good for the roots or on top of the soil. Amy thoughts? 

A. 'Pinot noir' is looking colorful. 

Thanks! 

DSC_0001 copy.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

I've been in the process of completely re-landscaping my yard as well as some vigilante landscape work and have been propagating almost everything from seed, cuttings, separation, etc.  A few years ago I was given a few of these and started growing them, probably grown 50-75 since but don't know the names of a lot of the plants I have because I didn't buy them and didn't learn them up North. I've got some neighbors who work doing landscape maintenance who bring me things to grow but they don't speak much English and I don't speak their languages so they can't even tell me a common name never mind Latin names.  I'd expect this is a common variety? Maybe someone can ID it for me?

20190624_131919_zps1lmcw3cs.jpg

• Like 1

Looks to be Neoregelia carolinae 'tricolor'. Yours look to be grown very well. Time to remove the pups and fill in the empty spaces.

3 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Is anyone using bromeliad time-released fertilizers 15-9-12 with minor trace elements? I am getting some that are good for the roots or on top of the soil. Amy thoughts? 

A. 'Pinot noir' is looking colorful. 

Thanks! 

DSC_0001 copy.jpg

15% N? Maybe lower it down 5% for your colorful ones if you notice any fading. Friend of mine swears by Nutricote placed in the pot alongside newly potted blanchetiana varieties and his stuff's pretty good. Time-release shouldn't be a problem since broms can handle just about any fertilizer, just as long as you watch their N intake on the patterned and spotted ones. I used to use Gro-Power Plus 5-3-1 lawn food mixed with water on my seedlings. The fertilizer is formulated to encourage stolon growth in grasses but it also encourages premature pupping in plants. Ended up with too damn many pots!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Gonzer said:

15% N? Maybe lower it down 5% for your colorful ones if you notice any fading. Friend of mine swears by Nutricote placed in the pot alongside newly potted blanchetiana varieties and his stuff's pretty good. Time-release shouldn't be a problem since broms can handle just about any fertilizer, just as long as you watch their N intake on the patterned and spotted ones. I used to use Gro-Power Plus 5-3-1 lawn food mixed with water on my seedlings. The fertilizer is formulated to encourage stolon growth in grasses but it also encourages premature pupping in plants. Ended up with too damn many pots!

Thanks for your input.  Yeah, the N is high on this one, but since I don't live in the tropic I will take it easy on the fertilizer will go half strength.  The time release is good for 13 months.  This product is from a big bromeliad outlet in Fl and their bromeliads always look perfect with really large pups and excellent coloration.  Will see how it goes.  :D

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Looks to be Neoregelia carolinae 'tricolor'. Yours look to be grown very well. Time to remove the pups and fill in the empty spaces.

Thanks! I'd just planted those in a new garden bed a couple days earlier and planted some with pups still attached so the garden wouldn't look quite so "new".  I'm also fixing the whole section of lawn between the walk & house so letting the St. Augustine grass grow out before cutting and I used sprigs to replant around the new garden. This section had been an eyesore for a long time.

There was a palm that was getting too tall & didn't look that great which was surrounded by some invasive purple flowered plant. The grass looked really bad where the new garden is because a transformer had blown up one time during summer setting the lawn on fire years ago. The utility company threw new sod down on the burnt area (with no prep) which raised that area and since I was a snowbird at that time I was up North at my other home so the sod died from not getting any special attention & weeds took over.  I've held off fixing the area because the city was supposed to start a major reconstruction project and the sidewalk would be removed and moved about 10' closer to the road. Project never got started so finally I put in the garden, so they'll probably start next week hahaha.

I removed the excess soil from the sod drop and dug out all the invasive "flowers" leveled & planted. I'm sure the invasive plants will be popping up from roots I missed for a couple years but just have to deal with them (BTDT all around the yard). There's a small Phoenix robellini in the pic but kinda blends in with the grass.

20190625_135437_zpsi2ztuyqv.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I just pulled out some ugly, raggedy decorative grass and planted this little area of bromeliads in its place.  Some of them have a little sunburn but should adapt as this area doesn’t get that much sun anyways...and yes, I checked, that pole has to stay there.  Just need to add some mulch.

7A606444-A56B-41B9-96C2-F8F442C447CF.jpeg

Edited by palmsOrl

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas on the above bromeliad^^^?

Also, I have a question for any Tillandsia experts, I know this is a long shot on here, but I have an id question.  I posted this bromeliad in the first photo a while back as Tillandsia utriculata.  But I was looking at photos of different Florida native Tillandsia and came across Tillandsia variabilis.  Could this bromeliad actually be T. variabilis?  It has a pup and I understand the T. utriculata does not pup or cluster as a rule.  Also, though it may be in the process of getting much larger, it’s stature looks more in line with T. variabilis.  The middle three photos are of Tillandsia variabilis and the final photo is Tillandsia utriculata.  What say you?

1E6CDBF9-4C26-45F8-9716-D6186E62D133.jpeg

E7D664DD-0A0D-40A9-8274-B03EF2C8FC27.jpeg

93195C60-3316-46D5-AA75-BB246DCABC50.jpeg

C322EE40-E0E8-4B78-AC02-3216540DE325.jpeg

22C869E9-105F-4C86-92E2-AE0A2C9E4AA2.jpeg