IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show Us Your Bromeliads!

sbpalms

1 hour ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

When did these start to cluster? Ive gotten a couple of similar looking "Landscape Vriesea" but mine all are still single :( Ive got one that is a beautiful pink color I'd like to make more of!:yay:

Oh gosh, I'm not sure. This one was planted maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and I haven't done anything to it except pull the weeds off it. No idea. Sorry. Some clump like this, and some do not. It's a mystery! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Some of my new bromeliads.... their in this community container until they re-root. In a few months, I'll pot them up and give some names. Some of them don't have their summer color so they'll look different next time. 

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Some of my new bromeliads.... their in this community container until they re-root. In a few months, I'll pot them up and give some names. Some of them don't have their summer color so they'll look different next time. 

Why are you putting them in a community container until they root? :wacko: Just put them in their pots so as to not disturb them again. :huh:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

4 hours ago, Missi said:

Why are you putting them in a community container until they root? :wacko: Just put them in their pots so as to not disturb them again. :huh:

I'm not really sure how I am going to rearrange these bromeliads. Some will go into a bigger container as groupings and other will be in smaller tight single containers and then the rest will go into a wall planter. And most importantly I don't have the container yet, LOL! I also have more bromeliads coming in the mail, when they get here will post pictures of them also. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Missi said:

Missi, the majority of bromeliads are some of the few plants that don't mind being "disturbed". They can handle potting, re-potting, re-re-potting, and doe ray me potting without skipping a beat. Chia pets would be another. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

I also have more bromeliads coming in the mail, when they get here will post pictures of them also. 

:yay:

Billbergia nutans queen's tears collection. First one is 'Blondie', regular 'nutans' and 'variegated'.  I gather all these up and hang two on the trachy trunk. The last one is a little bromeliad vriesea I p/u locally. Can't wait to see all these blooming this spring. 

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

• Upvote 3

I'd love to see any other folk's clumps of Aechmea triangularis. Beautiful, slow, but oh so unforgiving to human skin.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Gonzer said:

I'd love to see any other folk's clumps of Aechmea triangularis. Beautiful, slow, but oh so unforgiving to human skin.

I'm not sure which Aechmea this is, but the inflorescence resembles that of Aechmea triangularis.

20130424-IMG_4569.jpg

20130603-IMG_5040.jpg

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Tracy, if that plant's blooming now I'd say it's A. bromeliifolia.

No, it's not blooming now, but one photo was taken in late April and the other in June from a few years back, so it looks like it is a mid to late Spring bloomer.  Speaking of Spring, we are one day into it!  I looked at the plant this morning, and see it is both taller/thinner and a slightly deeper green than the photos of A triangularis.

Here are all 13 of my new Bromeliads all potted up. In order of photos, they are...

1. Blue Tooth, Big Mama, Galactic Warrior. 

2. J.C. SuperStar, Fosteriana. Come summer J.C. Super Star will change colors to pinkish coral. 

3. Touch Down, Bitter Sweet.

4. A. Aztec gold

5. Darth Vader, N. Chiquita Linda, Fireball, Aztec Gold. Side Note: Chiquita Linda only grows 3" tall and wide. LOL. 

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tracy said:

No, it's not blooming now, but one photo was taken in late April and the other in June from a few years back, so it looks like it is a mid to late Spring bloomer.  Speaking of Spring, we are one day into it!  I looked at the plant this morning, and see it is both taller/thinner and a slightly deeper green than the photos of A triangularis.

Time frame's right so I'd say A. bromeliiflora .

9 hours ago, Tracy said:

Here's mine, minus 5 newly dug plants. It is an extremely vicious bat rastard.

0321181540_Burst01.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 3/15/2018, 5:45:13, Missi said:

I just recently started collecting bromeliads last year. Here are some pictures of some pups I took off in mid December. Most of them had no roots at all and I decided to just plopped them straight in the ground and see what would happen. To my surprise every single one of them rooted with ease. I have also found that they can be transplanted many times without having any issues. 

5E14AD16-BF09-4143-8262-45D4815E781D.jpeg

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Here's mine, minus 5 newly dug plants. It is an extremely vicious bat rastard.

0321181540_Burst01.jpg

You have them placed in a nice collection of other colorful bromeliads.  I like the color of the leaflet tips on your A triangularis.  Yesterday evening, I got a photo of the plants to add to your info in confirming if it is A bromeliiflora.  One was in fact just starting to push out a new bloom, which I couldn't see until I got on the backside of the group.

20180321-104A8863.jpg

20180321-104A8865.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nope, I think I'm wrong. Your plant is too squat, bromeliiflora is tall and much tighter. Those lateral striations have really got me interested now. I'll get back to ya.

On 3/21/2018, 9:35:36, Palm crazy said:

4. A. Aztec gold

I love this, and it handles a great deal of sun, with colorful bloom!  Some transplants in Leucadia from my Carlsbad garden.  I fell in love with these on a visit to Gonzer's stomping grounds at Bird Rock Tropical several years ago.  Great colors to contrast with green plants!

20180321-104A8896.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 3/22/2018, 2:11:31, Gonzer said:

Aechmea maculata

I remember the first time I saw one bloom, I was shocked by the pink, it just didn't look real.  Then the white popped out, followed by the yellow flowers which turn black as they die.  So many great colors on this one as it transitions!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gonzer said:

a_maculata_LI.jpg

Notice how prominent the striping is.

Thanks Tracy, Aztec gold is one the best little bromeliads out there, I got mine from Bird Rock also. I also have A. maculata (red form). That one is nice also and can't wait for it to bloom someday. 

Here is a Neo I picked up a couple of years ago as a single plant without a name. I have had been told a few names by those that have seen it, The names are always one of the cv. of olens. The plant now has a 3' spread producing new plants 12'' across on 5''-6'' stolons. I grow this one in full sun. The leaves have a bright red coloring toward the cup when it comes into flower. pizap.com15219896820431.thumb.jpg.ffa6adpizap.com15219900852421.thumb.jpg.02326cpizap.com15219908311441.thumb.jpg.3a42e1 

• Upvote 1

Tracy, here's the basic recurvata enjoying full rays on the south end of my home. Neighbors have that crappy mulch so don't blame me.

0325181326a_Burst01.jpg

Edited by Gonzer
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Scott, I'm seeing 'Fireball' in your plant but no N. olens.

It's there, he just heavily edits his photos (high contrast, I'm assuming?) so it's hard to see!

8 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Scott, I'm seeing 'Fireball' in your plant but no N. olens.

Moved it out of the bright sun for this photo  

IMG_9304.thumb.JPG.58652fb155b1e44c37dc9

IMG_9304.JPG

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Missi said:

It's there, he just heavily edits his photos (high contrast, I'm assuming?) so it's hard to see!

No the photo was not edited, just taken with sun at the wrong angle. 

• Upvote 1

The sun is higher and the temps, the same and my bromeliads are nicer now, changing they colors.

Neo jill, is a nice weed. I started 3 years ago  with only one and now i have 15.IMG-20180327-WA0006.thumb.jpg.f4b0cb8595

Aechmea correia-araujoi

IMG-20180327-WA0007.thumb.jpg.332776def3

One of my favourites, Neo kautski. The photo is not good, is more yellow.

IMG-20180327-WA0018.thumb.jpg.ab9b26711c

Aechmea calicroma, now with more sun,  changing from green to red

IMG-20180327-WA0019.thumb.jpg.ca3352437f

New plantted are. Neo iphiginie and Billbergia zebrina.

IMG-20180327-WA0011.thumb.jpg.a241003c2f

Other beauty, Aechmea luedmanianna rubra. I live its red-maroon color.

IMG-20180327-WA0014.thumb.jpg.bea040c7bd

Edited by Monòver

8 minutes ago, Monòver said:

And the last one, yes, it is a brom. One of my favourites, Tillandsia tectorum.

IMG-20180327-WA0013.thumb.jpg.9a95aec4af

Wow that’s a furry fellow! :D

Really nice plant! 

Anyone else growing Quesnelia seideliana?  I love the color of the flowers, such an unusual blue!

20130428-IMG_4758 Quesnelia Seideliana.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aechmea phanerophlebia putting on a poor show ..

it is mounted on a Saraca thaipingensis 

P1200784.JPG

P1200785.JPG

• Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.