IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show Us Your Bromeliads!

sbpalms

16 hours ago, Tampa Scott said:

Thanks all for the great photos!

A friend knowing how much I like Bromeliads surprised me with this last week.pizap.com15122537592301.thumb.jpg.c2c357

This is AWESOME!!!!!!! :wub: I may have to copy this ^_^

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Lots of great photos!!!

I’ve been watering frequently due to Santa Ana winds — it’s 80F with 5% humidity — and grabbed this quick pic:

Neophytum ‘galactic warrior’

DC255FD6-C6AE-41A1-A1BE-627831AAD2B9.thu

• Upvote 6

This is a test for a Commander-in-Chief (Dean) to see if the photo upload glitch has been fixed. Looks like mission accomplished.

2015-08-21 001 2015-08-21 004.JPG

HPIM1026.jpg

Edited by Gonzer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Geoff, a well grown Deuterochonia (any species) can blow the colorful bromeliads out of the water. Your brevifolia in the top photo does just that.

• Upvote 2

What is the first picture? That thing is incredible. It looks like an alien. Totally cool.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

9 hours ago, Tracy S said:

What is the first picture? That thing is incredible. It looks like an alien. Totally cool.

12 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Geoff, a well grown Deuterochonia (any species) can blow the colorful bromeliads out of the water. Your brevifolia in the top photo does just that.

I dont know what these are exactly but they are hardy to the high teens and austinpalm was kind enough to let me grab a few that i potted up a few months ago.  

Also pictured are dyckia "cherry coke" which are completely zone 8 hardy. 

20171219_155631.jpg

20171219_155603.jpg

• Upvote 3

Ortophytum glaborum, Orthophytum gurkenii, and another which I can't recall what species it is.

20171219-104A8101.jpg

20171219-104A8095.jpg

20171219-104A8093.jpg

• Upvote 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Enjoying all the great photos posted. Making my Brom want list even longer. Here are  a few more in the garden.                                            

pizap.com15137759045271.thumb.jpg.9ece7fpizap.com15137765849201.thumb.jpg.f5f1af

pizap.com15137757363781.jpg

• Upvote 6

On 12/18/2017, 9:06:45, Geoff said:

I don't live in a climate where many bromeliads can grow, but I do have a  few... though less colorful than these above.

Deuterocohnia brevifolia potted plant update 5-17.jpg

Geoff, how long did it take to get this Deuterochonia to this size, and what size did it start out as when you got it?  It is a spectacular specimen!

• Upvote 2

Need to separate a bunch of them, hopefully the weather will cooperate between Christmas and New Years  

20170708_180417.jpg

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

a couple of benches at work.

So what nursery do you work at?  A very nice selection of broms!!!

13 minutes ago, Tracy said:

So what nursery do you work at?  A very nice selection of broms!!!

Working for Pam at Bird Rock Tropicals now that I'm retired from city work.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

Working for Pam at Bird Rock Tropicals now that I'm retired from city work

She is guilty for getting me started on bromeliads back when they had a growing area in South Carlsbad, up on the edge of what would become Aviara, up by the water tower.  I lived just down the hill.  Going to work must be kind of like going to Candyland, at least from a visual standpoint!

7 minutes ago, Tracy said:

She is guilty for getting me started on bromeliads back when they had a growing area in South Carlsbad, up on the edge of what would become Aviara, up by the water tower.  I lived just down the hill.  Going to work must be kind of like going to Candyland, at least from a visual standpoint!

Oh yeah, Shangri-La to the max. I've wanted to join up with her for 20 years and she was gracious enough to take me in when I retired. Getting to use my skills and knowledge in the bromeliad world (especially Tillandsias) there is a damn good reason to wake up in the mornings.

• Upvote 3

Here is one of mine which I really like, thogh I only know that it is a Dyckia Hybrid of some sore.

Dyckia_x_HectiaHybrid.jpg.ed199d8d0fa64b

If you know which hybrid, I'd love to hear about it. I have it labeled as Dykia x Hectia Hybrid

Richard

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I love the colors on the flower of the flowering one below.  I don't recall it's name, but it is relatively common.  The other was just nice color in the early morning light on one of my larger bromeliads, Alcantarea imperialis (formerly Vriesea imperialis).

20180122-104A8397-2.jpg

20180122-104A8395.jpg

• Upvote 3