sbpalms

Show Us Your Bromeliads!

Ben1

Hey guys. 

I really enjoy this thread and all the pictures you share. 

time to contribute something myself.... 

of course not as lush and tropical than your gardens as I can’t plant any tropical/ subtropical outside but I still like little bromeliad corner in our yard where a mounted some of me bromeliads in a half rotted oak stem. 

Gonzer, thanks for your tip how to cut back mother Neoregelias that set pups. I’ve just given it a try and can’t wait for the pups growing better then when I’ve fully cut back the mother plant. 

69E62760-25B0-4F41-8381-D7531F305ADB.jpeg

58806E0B-6B06-4501-90D5-AC60572953BB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Gonzer

What I consider the crown jewel of Tillandsias; T. erici. Harder 'n hell to find (luckily I've got 3) and very temperamental it's pups usually flower after right after appearing so you're lucky if you get a keeper offset that hasn't flowered. No scent but the color is sublime.

0730201310.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tracy
2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

What I consider the crown jewel of Tillandsias; T. erici. Harder 'n hell to find (luckily I've got 3) and very temperamental it's pups usually flower after right after appearing so you're lucky if you get a keeper offset that hasn't flowered. No scent but the color is sublime

Very nice color!  What is the overall size of the plant? It is hard to tell without something for perspective in the photo.  When you say temperamental, is that in reference to light exposure, water quality/quantity, low temps, high temps or all the above?

Gonzer
21 hours ago, Tracy said:

Very nice color!  What is the overall size of the plant? It is hard to tell without something for perspective in the photo.  When you say temperamental, is that in reference to light exposure, water quality/quantity, low temps, high temps or all the above?

Tracy, hard to explain about it's temperamentality, it's got what I call the Diva Syndrome; always wants more, more, more. You give IT more and it just pisses her off! Like I say, hard to explain.  Here you can see the old inflorescences on the pups.

0731201256_20200731140338052.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tampa Scott

Neoregelia 'Burnsie's Spiral' piZap_1596318558208.thumb.jpg.2c1a510406c86ea5be7bd2bc25f49044.jpg

• Like 2

Gonzer

An unregistered hybrid; Billbergia 'Domingos Martins' x 'Beadleman'. This guy thrives in full coastal sun.The strappy leaves are leftovers from it's days in lower light.

0730200623.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gonzer

And one of mine, Bill. 'Psychotic Reaction'; 'Calcite' x 'Bravo'. Extra large inflorescence.

0727200649.jpg

• Like 3

Tracy

The flowers are slow to develop on the Hechtia glauca.  I'm still waiting for them to open but the inflorescence has pushed out a bit further.  THe pup appears to be malformed after running  into the adjacent rock while being covered by the parent plant.  I was curious if Hechtia are monoecious or dioecious so looked it up.  Apparently they are doecious, so I am curious if I have a male or female plant.  Probably difficult to assess until the flowers actually bloom.

20200805-BH3I0795.jpg

20200805-BH3I0796.jpg

20200805-BH3I0797.jpg

• Like 2