IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show Us Your Bromeliads!

sbpalms

Here are some pics of tillandsia my wife has attached to a very old philodendron.  The aerial Roots on the philodendron make a great place to  attach the tillandsia to thought I would share. 

1586366916537274777989057742509.jpg

15863670167596679782382066232215.jpg

15863670541971664858077652645584.jpg

15863671918021372920905826508460.jpg

15863672593404986275737917206028.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 10:39 AM, akamu said:

Here are some pics of tillandsia my wife has attached to a very old philodendron.  The aerial Roots on the philodendron make a great place to  attach the tillandsia to thought I would share. 

Nice display Adam.  Thank you for sharing your wife's creativity.  I'm always looking for spots to put both Tillandsia and Orchids because I don't have many branching trees and all are relatively small/young still.   Gonzer can probably tell us what species this one in full bloom is as I don't recall.  It's hanging using fishing line from the chopped off king palm stump and providing a little shade to the Laelia orchid I strapped onto the palm using fishing line as well.

20200424-104A6361.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

33 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

That's T. bergeri Tracy.

You are very dependable!  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some bromeliads I saw at Little Big Econ State Forest east of Orlando.

Tillandsia fasciculata.

20200523_141025.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I came across this interesting population of Tillandsia utriculata growing terrestrially in leaf litter on the forest floor on the edge of a clearing.  There must have been well over 100 individuals growing within a fairly small area.

20200523_125421.jpg

• Like 3

Here are several Pitcairnia ringens I'm growing in one pot, raised from seed. They have soft, pliable leaves. Hope I'll see at least one inflorescence this year. Practically grow like weeds year-round in my sunroom. I may test a few outdoors at some point. Stone Jaguar (aka XYZ) has a nice article with pictures of them in bloom: https://www.agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5886

PitcairniaRingens2020.png

• Upvote 1

I mounted this bromeliad in this tree late last summer and it has stayed looking almost as good as when we bought it.  The secret seems to be positioning the plants upright enough where the rosette will hold at least some water.  It went for quite a while this winter without irrigation.

20200525_183648.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

I mounted this bromeliad in this tree late last summer and it has stayed looking almost as good as when we bought it.  The secret seems to be positioning the plants upright enough where the rosette will hold at least some water.  It went for quite a while this winter without irrigation.

What worked really well for me in Ocala was U brackets screwed into trees. I have multiple species of bromeliads there in the oak trees. Aechmea distichantha is also much better up there where the spines are away from people...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

After years of probably growing it under inadequate conditions, my Tillandsia dyeriana has finally decided to bloom! It lives year-round in my sunroom... which is like an oven with this current heatwave in California and parts West. At least everything is well-watered and the ceiling fan moves the hot air! :unsure:

Tillandsia1.png

Tillandsia2.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gas man said:

Some of my broms getting moved . 

Nice selection and welcome to Palmtalk Gas man!  Looks like a moveable feast for the eyes.

I just trimmed the bottom dead leaf off my Chambeyronia houailou which was immediately over this bromeliad (can't remember the name).  But it seemed to be begging for a photo as the light filtered through to provide a spotlight.  I think it is a variety of neoreglia. I got it years ago and started this clump as a cutting from my old garden about 6 years ago.

20200531-BH3I0156.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tracy said:

Nice selection and welcome to Palmtalk Gas man!  Looks like a moveable feast for the eyes.

I just trimmed the bottom dead leaf off my Chambeyronia houailou which was immediately over this bromeliad (can't remember the name).  But it seemed to be begging for a photo as the light filtered through to provide a spotlight.  I think it is a variety of neoreglia. I got it years ago and started this clump as a cutting from my old garden about 6 years ago.

20200531-BH3I0156.jpg

Possibly N. sanguinea or a cultivar of N. carolinae.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Catopsis mooreana, loving the rainy summer weather and throwing out an inflorescence.

20200608_150604.jpg

• Like 3

A close look of Aechmea serrata in flower... 

piZap_1587772881271.thumb.jpg.d86aa30acabbb612d193ed0c4899eb11.jpg

Edited by Tampa Scott
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Vriesea gigantea nova.  I have another one that is quite a bit larger than this one.  

20200602_091454.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This bromeliad has been blooming for quite a while and is particularly striking.  I have no idea which hybrid it is or if it might be a species, and if so, which.

20200616_182605.jpg

20200616_182612.jpg

11 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I believe this is a Neoregelia species.  It has done well for me but hates direct sun.

20200619_171601.jpg

Neo. 'Super Fireball'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I believe this is a Neoregelia species.  It has done well for me but hates direct sun.

20200619_171601.jpg

They can slooowly be acclimated to full sun.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

For those of you who grow the leafy terrestrials such as Neo's, Aechmea and Billbergia a good tip to further the development of the pups is to give Mom a haircut such as I've demonstrated below. After flowering the center rosette will either start to slowly decay or in the case of tall growers the center leaves will curl inward towards themselves. Do some snipping but not TOO much. You want the light to permeate down to the offsets. Believe me, after cutting 1000's of plants I can guarantee success with this method.

0612200842.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 6/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, Umbrae said:

anyone have a name in this one ?

IMG_20200628_122720390.jpg

A good probability for a rough ID is a cross between Neo. carolinae x (possibly) N. 'Fireball'. It just smacks of that cross. Problem being there are about two dozen cultivars under that registered parentage. The Bromeliad Cultivar Registry is a great place to explore if you've got the time.

• Like 1