IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone else successfully grow Ravenea rivularis

tfinvold

Anyone get their indoor Majesty palm to grow and open spears into fronds? Thing is I live at 7,000ft in Flagstaff a fairly dry mountain climate so its very dry indoors usually. It is in the kitchen which give it a little more moisture and heat from cooking. After 1 year of the original transplant from the nursery container I had used some cheap organic generic fruit fertilizer I had laying around. It's mostly bone meal and has a good amount of nitrates. At first I was thinking it had low potassium as the leaves were sort of yellow on some fronds but I checked the soil it wasn't too soggy so then I figured it just didn't get enough light and I pretty much left it there in front of the sliding glass door for a while. Nothing happened for months, the about 3 months ago one spear turned into a frond and opened up so then I fertilized it to help it out and put a mirror behind the palm it to help it gather the limited amount of sunlight I have to work with (3-4 hours a day of direct and some shaded sunlight) now three more spears popped open all at once this last week. So I used a little bit more organic fertilizer to keep things going as it contains no chemicals as you can't really over do it on the organic fertilizer.

tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

Edited by tfinvold
  • Upvote 3

Keep moisture levels up on these,as name sake,they live along river banks and don't mind wet feet.

Seaweed fert solution half strength fortnightly, I gave mine.

They eventually will withstand full sun.

So give it very bright light when young

Sold it though.

• Upvote 2

They are water and fertilizer gluttons. They make terrible house plants even though marketed as such. You need a quality, time-release fertilizer that includes the micronutrients. But I wouldn't go overboard on fertilizing now you are heading into winter. Most northern homes are too dark, too dry and too cold in winter for tropical and subtropical palms. Ideally, you should have your palm near a south facing window, perhaps with supplemental lighting, daytime temp above 75F and humidity above 50%. You should be on the lookout for spider mites, scale and mealybugs that attack plants in dry homes in winter.

• Upvote 6

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

They are a bit weird as houseplants.  They love sun, and they don't harden off new leaves when inside over the winter, so you always get burned tips/fronds in the spring.  But it'll spring back!

XYoiBS0.jpg

My experience?  Unkillable and rock solid through and through.  Good heavy potting soil, water weekly (just drown them) and be a little careful for fungus; they go nuts.  This one got so ridiculous the year I took this pic that I had to donate it to our local tropical gardens; we didn't have a ceiling high enough to bring it in over the winter.  

My current apartment-bursting container ranch is just too full, or I'd have another!

• Upvote 4

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a spray bottle I water mist regularly. All the houseplants love the misting but its got to be done frequently to be useful. The downstairs in the winter seems to be 65-72. The house isn't drafty and I don't use a central furnace (central furnaces are terrible and dry out the air) in the winter and there is a very bright large west facing sliding glass door. It gets around 4-6 hours of bright light. Interestingly enough there appears to be more sunlight during the winter than in the summer, something to do with the sun being lower in the sky I guess and now I put a mirror to reflect the sunlight around and it seems to to like it. I'm actually at 35 N latitude about as far north as Los Angeles not sure I would say its far northern maybe middle latitude and there is rarely cloud cover here as it's quite dry in the mountain southwest. Low humidity is probably the biggest issue I have with my plants. The neanthe bellas (Chamaedorea elegans) do absolutely great despite it being dry here and seem to do great and prefer to be neglected (as odd as that seems) and Chamaedorea elegans are throwing out 2-3 fronds per month recently and one I have is beginning to look like a mega bush. However the fronds of Ravenea rivularis have now fully opened and look good although the very edge of the tips (like less than 1/8 inch which looks to be hardly anything) they seem to be crispy probably from it being dry here but it does seem to be growing and doing despite the house generally not being that warm (think so cal coastal temps but lower humidity)

• Upvote 1