IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When are the fruits of Guihaia argyrata ripe?

Phoenikakias

Fruits on my plant are blue but flesh is not soft. I assume that fruition in cultivation is rather rare, otherwise seeds would be more available, but I have to try getting an answer in this forum... 

I couldn't tell you but i have been searching a long time for seed with no luck. You're a lucky guy. Did you hand pollinate?

Fruits look unpollinated anyway, but I have to check thoroughly almost each one of them! Female is so difficult to be pollinated, even when male grows attached to it. It would be a shame, if I found very few pollinated seeds but uncovered them prematurely.

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Fruits look unpollinated anyway, but I have to check thoroughly 

Can you post some pictures? We want to enjoy with your palms!

• Upvote 1

On 16/11/2017, 11:33:37, Monòver said:

Can you post some pictures? We want to enjoy with your palms!

There you go! Male and female plants grow side by side. The green leaves belong mostly to male plant and the large silverbak leaves belong to the female one. 

IMG_20171120_160350.thumb.jpg.d5a9bce130

In the next two pictures you can observe loaded female infructescence and dried male inflorescence.

IMG_20171120_160406.thumb.jpg.fd8b5cfb2a

IMG_20171120_160412.thumb.jpg.50730da153

But the vast majority of fruits are underdeveloped with no content except a dozen bigger ones with a considerable content. 

IMG_20171120_160546.thumb.jpg.bd9077c918IMG_20171120_160550.thumb.jpg.5bb06461adIMG_20171120_160811.thumb.jpg.4036910203

• Upvote 5

do they pass the float test???

try to cut some open. Don't be surprised when you cut open the seed and see the embryo on one side. It seems that's how this palm seed grows.

I have a 40 yr old tree in my "Vista garden that is a flowering and seeding machine" welcome to the club

Phoenikakias

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

also they turn purple when they are ripe

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 20/11/2017 16:28:55, Josh-O said:

I have a 40 yr old tree in my "Vista garden that is a flowering and seeding machine" 

So you have also male plants

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

At least I have just learned how a ripe fruit looks like. Mind you that colors in the picture are not accurate, What appears green has actually a bluish overcast and what appears deep blue is actually black. I also know that plant in my garden sets some seemingly pollinated fruits which reach eventually maturity. What I can still not understand, is why most of the fruits remain obviously unpollinated...

IMG_20171128_172406.thumb.jpg.d14a6d3cb1IMG_20171128_172421.thumb.jpg.effc6f23fa

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I have learned many things about this sp. this year. First, when set fruits are viable, second what they look like when fully mature, third when they mature fully  predictably in a warm mediterranean climate. And last but not least how one can induce germination of such seeds. Medium consists of 50% coir and 50% perlite. Seeds have been in propagator since the end of last Novenber but they just sat idle when temperature was set to constant 30 C (I wanted also to induce germination also a couple seeds from a purported Phoenix hanceana X Phoenix theophrasti crossing, sown in same community pot). They still sat idle after temperature had been reset to constant 25 to 27 C. Then a couple of weeks ago I have reset temperature again to about 31 C for 12 hours and 25 C for another 12. Mind that germination happened while community pot is uncovered but the high bove hanging lead of the propagator. And it has just happened! Needless to describe, how happy I am...

IMG_20180119_135021.thumb.jpg.9f0223b6a5

• Upvote 4