cassowaryhill

Kentia palms Hawaii

cassowaryhill

So clearly I had a misconception about Hawaii. I knew it was tropical but obviously Just perfect then that It can grow Kentia palms and Xmas palms alongside each other.... 

hokulia-10.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

Palms4Steve

Yes it’s certainly a beautiful place. I saw some amazing palm collections over there.

• Upvote 1

Tassie_Troy1971

nice

• Upvote 1

Justin

Bumping this, as I found it during a search today.  I'm curious if the Big Island residents know of any sources for Kentia palms on the island.  Ironically, I can't ever recall having seen them around, but I'd like to grow a bunch.

Dypsisdean
1 hour ago, Justin said:

Bumping this, as I found it during a search today.  I'm curious if the Big Island residents know of any sources for Kentia palms on the island.  Ironically, I can't ever recall having seen them around, but I'd like to grow a bunch.

Justin - I've seen them from time to time in the Lowes and Safeway over here in Kona - in the house plant area. I believe I remember even Home Depot getting some in a couple of times.

Justin

Thanks Dean.  I never really thought of looking for them in the houseplant section, but I suppose that makes sense.

krishnaraoji88
3 hours ago, Justin said:

There is a nursery growing them commercially in the Kohala region. Not sure exactly what the name is tho

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos

The Kentia palms that Home Depot sells for indoors here in Northern California come from a grower in Hawaii so it should be easy to find them or order them in any Hawaiian Home Depot. They’ve grown well for me outdoors over the years and have gotten big. 

• Like 1

Big Eye
On 3/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, krishnaraoji88 said:

There is a nursery growing them commercially in the Kohala region. Not sure exactly what the name is tho

I don't know anything about Kentia palms, but I think the nursery you're referring to is "Kohala Nursery".  I called them for another species of palm and they said they only carry Rhapis and Kentia palms. I may be wrong but it's a worth a shot to give them a call!

• Upvote 1

Justin

Thanks!

DoomsDave

Kohala's quite the nursery.

http://www.kohalanursery.com/

Here's a picture of people there; see anyone familiar?

image.png.b88ae04f30ec34dd6d0ec7b97583b2f3.png

• Upvote 1