IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My home grown date palm

Howeadypsis

This was sown last october from a stray edible date stone(P.dactylifera) from xmas!! I simply put it in the pot with my Dyspsis and forgot about it.

Then a tiny white shoot appeared and hey presto, we have a date palm in the making!

Here it is now with a third leaf coming!

How long before I get the character leaves/fronds?

datepalmthirdleaf07_06.jpg

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

It's like the alien in the movie, where the monster's small, not that scary, and it turns into this SERIOUS monster, that eats people, but it won't play rock and roll from the point in its head.

Keep us apprized, and I'll leave a light on for  ya!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Give it a couple of years! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Howea Dypsis,

that is nice sapling photo !  :)

Iam from India here temp is around 94 to 104 Avg,even i have raised 2 to 3 date palms from seeds. the seeds took 2 to 3 months to sprout and around 6 to 8 months for the leaves to spread open.

To see its full character in leaves and stem with those spikes and scars in its trunk it would take around 3 to 4 years.provided you ground it or place in a deep/wide container. or else the grouth would appear stunted and its girth(i.e waistline)will appear small.

the above information works to my tropical temp Zone(10 to 11) only.

And I love All the Phoenix Sp.

Love,

Kris (S.India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks peeps, now another question prompted by krisachar comments on pots, do Phoenix palms prefer deep pots or wide shallow ones?

deeeeeep (not necessarily purple)

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Hey I got a purple one somewhere, tho its not so deep, and it doesnt know Smoke on the Water....

Do you have to be nuts to be here???........

No, but it sure helps! :D

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Oh thats OK then.......;)

I did a similar thing after eating a date.  I just chucked the seed in a pot with a dead P.torallyi.  That would have been in April.  It sprouted within a couple of weeks and now looks like this....

P.dactylifera%20sized%2024-07-06.jpg

I suppose I should have placed it somewhere near the centre of the pot rather than just letting it land right near the edge.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Neofolis @ Jul. 28 2006,00:49)

It sprouted within a couple of weeks and now looks like this....

I suppose I should have placed it somewhere near the centre of the pot rather than just letting it land right near the edge.

For some reason the image doesnt show, yet when i tick reply with quote i see the image url  within the tags!

I entered the Url manualy and i got a smilie!

Oh yeah, I had been having difficulty with a host and forgot I had posted an image on this thread, let's try again.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Looks good,a little bigger than mine. Will you be unpotting it and placing it centrally in the pot or leave it as it is for the rest of the year?

I'll see how it does.  It seems quite happy at the moment, so I'm going to leave it for the time being.  Being optimistic, I'm hoping that the roots may start to push it away from the edge of the pot, but that's probably wishful thinking.  The pot is certainly large enough for it to stay in for a year or two, depending on growth rate.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa