Sign in to follow this  
donnacreation

Windmill Palm dying?

donnacreation

I discovered one of my Windmill palms appears to be dying.  The innermost emerging fronds are all brown.  I'm growing lots of Windmill palms and I've never had this problem.  This palm was very small when I planted it about 4 or 5 yrs ago.  It's now about 4' tall and looks great, except for the emerging brown fronds.  I tried to enter another pic, but apparently I've already used my maximum 8MB.  What's with that?

windmill palm problem 11-3-17 005.JPG

smithgn

This looks maybe, maybe like an aborted spear. Sometimes palms will shoot up a funky spear like that due to fungal issues and immediately send up another healthy one. In my experience, Butias love to do this in the spring time. Give it a tug and see if it pulls. If it's still anchored in there pretty well then all the better. Again, I'm just guessing from what I can see. If you want to post another picture just post it in another post, I have no idea why there's an 8 mb limit but with the way some phones are taking pictures with such detail, we're soon all going to be doing one picture posts- Lol

donnacreation

Thanks for the info. The spear won't pull out, so I think I'll pour some hydrogen peroxide (or copper fungicide) in it and hope for another warm winter. I'm growing 16 Butias that almost all had spear pull in their youth.  As you said, this always happened in the spring.   I'm growing some in partial shade that have huge, dramatic fronds reaching for the limited sun.  I moved to SC in 2006, so my oldest palms are 10 yrs old.

charlotte palm guy

Did this ever resolve? I just posted one like this and live in your region. Mine have come in dead like that since this Spring.  Now they stopped coming in period