IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

final update of: Can Cocos nucifera grow naturally on Miyako - south Japan

palmfriend

Hello everyone,

first of all thank you for following my other threads where I tried to find out if

Cocos nucifera can grow naturally on Miyako island - south Japan.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/54512-can-cocos-nucifera-can-grow-naturally-on-miyako-island-south-japan/ 

(in this first thread I roamed around and checked our coastlines for possibly grown up Cocos nucifera once washed ashore as coconuts)

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/54605-update-of-can-cocos-n-grow-naturally-on-miyako-island-south-japan/ 

(in the second one I went to our small neighbor island Irabu - following the same purpose)

So, since something came up last weekend I would like to do a final update - please enjoy:

It was a while ago since I have been to our little Botanical garden, so I enjoyed it very much to be there again with my

kids. This time the weather was nice again  - after two typhoons in a row passing by - so we decided to take another path

taking us to the very furthest end of the garden. While my kids roaming around I always enjoy scanning the plants, looking 

for something "undetected" so far. Since there are no Cocos nucifera inside the garden area I was surprised to see this:

001x.thumb.jpg.4af23a4ea447b79c8414b9b1a

Can you see it? I was sure the first moment that it was a leaf of a Coconut palm, so I took up speed,

went around the curve and saw this:

002x.thumb.jpg.d3d582c1af7ae93298abd7e7d

Two Coconut nucifera sticking out of the jungle at the end of our garden - an area that never gets any maintenance  at all. Wow!

However, zeroing in I scanned for...

003x.thumb.jpg.255e50ffb986c561a47d9d86a

Oh yes, here there are - very good looking coconuts!

Coming back the next day alone - I didn`t want my kids around while I was disappearing in the jungle - 

I went on:

It is just a few meters inside of the jungle but there is no way of seeing anything from the outside - so I stepped in:

004x.thumb.jpg.2a24f4f5c92a9bf8bdb898988

Untouched habitat - fallen leaves, broken trees, a lot of plants I don`t know. I kept moving slowly

toward the palm:

005x.thumb.jpg.ca8c75cf0fced5e1e3491d788

Looking upwards - all right, looks good,...

006x.thumb.jpg.e48652fd9f32ddf036ae0ee8f

Looking down while moving forward - yes, looks very good,...

and then...

007x.thumb.jpg.cafb2fdacbfd7fcb0c66233dd

OH MY GOD!! I almost felt over... A growing coconut palm right here...

008x.thumb.jpg.d2e0ca29128e4c872e10f111f

What a beauty! 

After a few moments I calmed down just to get excited again...

009x.thumb.jpg.b26138ddb689cad74329ca2a8

Just a few feet away - the next one!!

010x.thumb.jpg.0c530eca833f0f44f59e20387

...and another one, already going pinnate! 

There were so many coconuts in the ground, so I removed some of the leaves and branches and found this one hidden under inches of foliage...

012x.thumb.jpg.e3b7ed86160c5a44ff0616101

A just sprouted one with roots still not anchored in the ground - I allowed myself to take it home: I will call it "Green Miyako Dwarf".

013x.thumb.jpg.1953d6b8a77bc6d3b1a9b0ec0

I counted five young plants and I guess there are much more on their way.

015x.thumb.jpg.f9988d8def2c33d80e6389360

Cleaning the area a little bit I made the decision to be a guardian for this very likely totally unknown spot here on Miyako island. I will check this place from

time to time to make sure that the plants will do well. I don`t want them to be removed because I think their roots got already established - so let them be as 

they are.

I think with this final update I can say - Yes, Cocos nucifera can grow naturally on Miyako island - south Japan!

Thank you for your time,

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 6

That's great, Lars!  I am sure you were like a kid in a candy store, as I would be coming across the same thing.  Congratulations, you proved your theory and have a souvenir baby palm for your own yard too!

John

• Upvote 1

I have followed your previous arguments very carefully
 I was sure that cocos nucifera had to grow spontaneously on your beautiful island

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

On 11/1/2017, 1:29:56, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

That's great, Lars!  I am sure you were like a kid in a candy store, as I would be coming across the same thing.  Congratulations, you proved your theory and have a souvenir baby palm for your own yard too!

John

Thank you very much, John!

Yes, it looks like a great end of the three Cocos nucifera threads I have started - the order was not planned at all, just kept my eyes (and ears) open.

I am going to check that spot regularly and will do updates about it.

John, I am still really excited about this "discovery", can`t put in words....

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2017, 1:30:40, gyuseppe said:

I have followed your previous arguments very carefully
 I was sure that cocos nucifera had to grow spontaneously on your beautiful island

Giuseppe,

thank you very much for following!

Yes, somehow I knew or could feel it by myself but I lacked evidence - however, I am going to do updates about this spot from time

to time and will document the young palm`s growth. 

best regards

Lars

1 hour ago, palmfriend said:

Thank you very much, John!

Yes, it looks like a great end of the three Cocos nucifera threads I have started - the order was not planned at all, just kept my eyes (and ears) open.

I am going to check that spot regularly and will do updates about it.

John, I am still really excited about this "discovery", can`t put in words....

best regards

Lars

I am happy for you Lars, and look forward to the updates, including photos of the baby coconut palm as it grows in your yard.

John

• Upvote 1